Are eggs the new toilet paper?

Ole

There seems to be a general shortage of eggs all around, don't know why as they have limited shelf life of a couple of weeks max. The butcher I use had none yesterday and said people had been coming from other parts of south London to buy 10 trays at a time from them, they have now restricted quantities of eggs to max one tray per Regular customer.

There seems to be a general shortage of eggs all around, don't know why as they have limited shelf life

I suspect that many people, perhaps not used to a lot of self-catering, find cooking eggs relatively simple and broadly nourishing. People working from home may suddenly want breakfasts, often egg based. So a run on eggs may not be wholly surprising.

Not sure if you meant to say this, but it made me chuckle bearing in mind the title of the thread.

Penguin68 Wrote:

------------------------------------------------------

> So a run on eggs may not be wholly surprising.

Blah Blah Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Eggs last at least three to five weeks in a fridge

> and up to a year in the freezer dbboy.

Once they get to two weeks odd I don't poach them though - spread out too much. It's omelette or scrambled.

As you lot went off and bought all the toilet paper I was forced into using omelettes to wipe me bum. Good public information campaign by the way with Citizen Khan hoarding toilet paper. Perhaps there is one with eggs too. Of course there is a correlation with eggs and toilet paper.

Here's the excellent Citizen Khan video that the government is using for a public info campaign. Shame I couldn't find the actual version that has been aired. Anyway tickled me, and a good way to make the point of minimising use and not hoarding.

B hell. I've lived through a sugar shortage and then toilet paper. I'm running out of sitcoms to use to parody the situation. It remind me of the great string shortage in the mid 70s. I've not embedded the video as it really wasn't that funny the first time

Looking at social media lately suggests that eggs are scarce because of the number of people suddenly making cakes at whilst stuck at home. Which also explains why flour supplies are low (as well as being used to make bread)