Daily exercise recommendations

I have a newborn and desperate to get out for my daily exercise at this strange time - preferably a good two mile walk with the pram. However, I live near Townley Road and that stretch of pavement (and bit of Lordship Lane by Lordship pub) is very narrow and full of people who don't seem to care much at all about keeping a distance.

Does anyone recommend any East Dulwich back streets/route for a good, quiet walk? Preferably with a bit of nature/nice spring front gardens to chase away the baby blues! Thanks in advance...

Walk down Townley Road in the opposite direction to Lordship Lane and when you come to Calton Avenue, turn left onto it and walk down it until you come to Court Lane, walk the length of Court Lane until you reach Lordship Lane (a quieter stretch) turn left onto it and walk as far as the library, turn left there and cross over to Woodwarde Road, walk to the end of Woodwarde and turn right onto Calton Avenue and walk back down to Townley Road. It's kind of like a triangle and there are other side roads off Court Lane that will bring you back on to Woodwarde. That way you can vary your daily walk slightly. I'm sure they'll be some lovely front gardens to look at.

Sorry for the length of directions. Hope you enjoy your walks.

I know what you mean philosophie. I ran round the perimeter of Dulwich College today and it wasn't too bad. South Circular, College Road, Hunts Slip Road, Alleyn Park. Quiet way back to your road is Gallery Road, Pickwick Road, Turney Road, left into the village, Gilkes Place, Gilkes Crescent, Calton Eve, Townley Road. I needed to come off the pavement for a few people but the pathways are wide and the roads quiet incase you need to cross over in order to avoid others. I deliberately stayed away from the parks as they are rammed and of course busy spots like the main part of Dulwich Village and Lordship Lane.

I think the time you go makes a difference too. I was out about 9am so it was a bit quieter.

I hope this helps.

I've regularly been doing Townley Road to North Dulwich/Red Post Hill, for a good stretch. Not busy and on the route is Sunray Gardens which offers a quiet respite from the road.

Up on towards the main road (very quiet) and into Ruskin Park, which again is large but well behaved people.

Back up towards home via Denmark/Dog kennel Hill, so a good workout for your legs.

(some of this route I walked in the roads, my choice as I'm paranoid about joggers behind me)

Generally people seem to be keeping their distance but as you say the pavements don?t always allow us to keep 2 metres and not everyone observes it.

Not outdoors and it may not work for you with the buggy but can you bring the outdoors in or walk round a garden? Put on a YouTube video and walk while watching. A different view and a distraction. Going to give it a try walking on the spot at home.

Also the World Walking app lets you do virtual walks - the steps you walk count to walking around Shanghai or the Wonders of the UK and there are milestones which give a bit of a write up to places of interest along the way. Your daily walk could take you along the London Marathon route or maybe you could complete the Bologna route.

The bit from court lane to the library is heaving with pedestrians. Do people really need to be out walking? You cant keep two meters away on the pavement, cyclists everywhere. In the space of ten minutes we counted 45 people passing within 2 meters of people they werent with. Is it really worth it? I know you are 'allowed' but the advice is a fit all and doesnt work for busy london streets. people should be at home so the streets arent busy for when people need to go out.

So Joggers. How about you start respecting a 2m gap? Its not a minority or just arrogant junior hard-ons, it seems a universal joggers right to ignore the 2m gap rule.

Why do they think the pavement belongs to them and we should all get out of their way. To them it doesn't matter if you're 9 or 90, they behave like infants who must have their way.

They run straight at you puffing and panting their saliva aerosol all over and tut-tut you for being in their way.

What is their special status in the world?

They're the agile ones why can't they get out of the way of older people? I've had it with these self-righteous aggressive little people.

Get off our narrow pavements!

savvygirl Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Walk down Townley Road in the opposite direction

> to Lordship Lane and when you come to Calton

> Avenue, turn left onto it and walk down it until

> you come to Court Lane, walk the length of Court

> Lane until you reach Lordship Lane (a quieter

> stretch) turn left onto it and walk as far as the

> library, turn left there and cross over to

> Woodwarde Road, walk to the end of Woodwarde and

> turn right onto Calton Avenue and walk back down

> to Townley Road. It's kind of like a triangle and

> there are other side roads off Court Lane that

> will bring you back on to Woodwarde. That way you

> can vary your daily walk slightly. I'm sure

> they'll be some lovely front gardens to look at.

>

>

> Sorry for the length of directions. Hope you

> enjoy your walks.

I went that way at about 3pm two days ago - there are too many people at that time

Gingergossip Wrote:

> So Joggers. How about you start respecting a 2m

> gap? Its not a minority or just arrogant junior

> hard-ons, it seems a universal joggers right to

> ignore the 2m gap rule.

> Why do they think the pavement belongs to them and

> we should all get out of their way. To them it

> doesn't matter if you're 9 or 90, they behave like

> infants who must have their way.

>

> They run straight at you puffing and panting their

> saliva aerosol all over and tut-tut you for being

> in their way.

> What is their special status in the world?

> They're the agile ones why can't they get out of

> the way of older people? I've had it with these

> self-righteous aggressive little people.

> Get off our narrow pavements!

Yes and if your bushes overhang the pavement by 1/3 get out and cut your hedges

Gingergossip Wrote:

> So Joggers. How about you start respecting a 2m gap?

I always step into the road when passing someone, to make sufficient gap. But plenty of people coming the other way (both runners and walkers) make no effort at all, even to shift slightly to the inside of the pavement. It really annoys me.

fishbiscuits Wrote:

> Gingergossip Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > So Joggers. How about you start respecting a 2m

> gap?

>

> I always step into the road when passing someone,

> to make sufficient gap. But plenty of people

> coming the other way (both runners and walkers)

> make no effort at all, even to shift slightly to

> the inside of the pavement. It really annoys me.

Same! exactly the same.

Today a young couple carrying shopping walking side by side down lordship lane me on my own did they walk single file to make a 2m gap between us? did they hell!! they carried on strolling like they were on a deserted country lane oblivious to the fact that I needed to flatten myself against a fence to get even 1m between us idiots!

by the way they saw me do the flatten myself against fence and dont breathe manovere and just gave me 'a look' morons muppets idiots selfish fools!

BTW-cant you tell I'm annoyed by this?

Peckham Rye was way too busy this evening. I passed several groups of 4-6 young adults on the pavement between East Dulwich Road and Barry Road. None of them moved into single file so I had to walk right out into the road to get by whilst maintaining my distance. And I'd find it hard to believe that they were all family or house share groups.

Plenty of people on the common too. All seemed spread out and in small groups. A lot of people sitting around rather than getting essential exercise, although I guess that fresh air is just as important as exercise if you don't have outdoor space at home.

Sadly, this weekend is going to be a big test. If we don't resist the temptation to hang out in the park in the good weather then the lockdown is just going to get tighter.

ed26.

TBH let's just get full lockdown on.

This social distancing thing is being ignored too widely, it negates efforts to provide certainty of control of virus infections.

I'm interested in this being resolved asap, so we can repair asap.

People have had the chance, and as usual, predictably, a minority abuse the privilege (for that's what it is now).

People don't want to play, take the game away from them and lock them indoors.

We need priorities here, and they don't include swanning around pretending life can carry as normal because people think it's their right.

Govt being too soft now, possibly for re-election purposes, who know/who cares, just lockdown already.

We are in an area thats about the 10th most affected in the uk and people refusing to even give up jogging on our busiest pavements in order to literally save lives. Maybe when they realise that lockdown will go on for much longer as a result they may take notice. Same as those pub goers when they knew what was coming but were still 'allowed'to pub so went anyway.

mako Wrote:

> We are in an area thats about the 10th most

> affected in the uk and people refusing to even

> give up jogging on our busiest pavements in order

> to literally save lives. Maybe when they realise

> that lockdown will go on for much longer as a

> result they may take notice. Same as those pub

> goers when they knew what was coming but were

> still 'allowed'to pub so went anyway.

Its the attitude of self entitlement that I can't bear.

We are so lucky to be allowed to walk (or jog) to our green space please just be thankful for that privilege because its not a right (where my friend lives in France they are not allowed to do any of these things or even ride a bike)at this moment in time it is a privilege and the more people ignore the 2m rule the more likely that privilege will be taken away and then you can jog round your bloody living room

BBC

Labour, the UK's main opposition party, will back the government's possible plans to ban outdoor exercise if it was "necessary" to reduce the number of deaths from coronavirus.

Sir Keir Starmer, who was elected Labour leader on Saturday, told the BBC's Andrew Marr: "Every time people break the guidance from the government, they put other people at risk."

His comments come after Health Secretary Matt Hancock said if people continue to "flout the rules" then the government will ban exercise outside of the home.

Sir Keir said the focus has to be ?what is necessary to reduce the number of deaths?.

seenbeen Wrote:

> Maybe instead of doing a lengthy Low Intensity

> exercise jogging around for an hour people could

> do a High intensity sprint and then go home within

> 20 minutes?

Most people in ED could simply do a high intensity workout at home.