We are trialing a dedicated East Dulwich COVID-19 Area on the forum here - please keep it useful.

Forum Sponsors

www.takeflightacademy.co.uk

www.stevenvaughan.co.uk

http://avakitchens.co.uk

Advertise here

The East Dulwich Forum
The Bishop, The EDT, The Great Exhibition, the Actress or another?
Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5
messageRe: Sainsbury’s stock
Posted by gromit3:16 April 11, 10:30PM

I saw a sign saying nhs don't need to que, I thought the time for elderly and vulnerable was 7-9, but might be wrong.

if your using argos you go to the front door, tell the staff and they have a staff member bring you to argo to get your stuff.

Posted by gromit3:16 April 11, 10:33PM

edcam Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> You're a very negative person.

I'm trying not to be.

Posted by ianr April 11, 11:53PM

> ......
> I didn't see anything on Sainsbury's
> website to say that either the
> elderly/disabled/carers or the NHS
> staff had priority at any other times.

Kiera, that does seem consistent and complete and rational. Thanks.

How about Click and Collect? Presumably no priority for anyone at non-concession times. Is there typically a long queue for it then? Or within a concession period? Is it even accessible then?

PS Have now seen: "Due to the huge increase in online orders, we're pausing new registrations for the time being."
That seems to rule C&C out for me as well. I think I may just knit myself a muesli facemask and stick with Lidl. There are only a few staples I rely on JS for anyway, every few months.

Posted by ctovey April 12, 12:43PM

If you have a car, click and collect would be a good option. Or phone Sainsbury's elderly /vulnerable helpline on 0800 052 5500 and explain your situation. I got a delivery slot in about 5 days from phoning them

Posted by AylwardS April 13, 10:48AM

Just been to Sainsburys. Slightly over half an hour to queue / shop and pay (I used SmartShop as I normally do).

Stock much better than last time I shopped there - still some empty shelves and a limited choice of some items but I got everything I went in for. There was pasta and Carex liquid soap. Announcements said there are still limits on some items and to check shelf tickets but I didn’t buy any restricted items.

Posted by mrwb April 13, 11:30AM

Stock in small Sainsbury's on lordship lane had most normal stock I've seen in weeks today.

Now if everyone just shop normally! It'll stay like that.

Stop hoarding people!

Posted by seenbeen April 13, 03:19PM

Do you have to go in alone?

Posted by malumbu April 13, 04:34PM

mrwb Wrote:
> Stock in small Sainsbury's on lordship lane had
> most normal stock I've seen in weeks today.
>
> Now if everyone just shop normally! It'll stay
> like that.
>
> Stop hoarding people!

In deed. Perhaps the two of us could play that kids game where you take it in trun going through the alphabet and memorising the previous foods.

I went to Sainsbury's and bought an avocado. Wow lucky you
I went to Sainsbury's and bought an avocado, and a bunch of bananas. Quick, dash off there now before they all go
I went to Sainsbury's and I bought an avocado, a bunch of bananas, some custard powder (really, are we running short of this now?) (Perhaps this post will go viral and there will be a rush)
I went to Sainsbury's and I bought an avocado, a bunch of bananas, custard powder and some dates (with all that home baking they are in short supply)
I went to Sainsbury's and I bought an avocado, a bunch of bananas, custard powder, dates and half a dozen eggs.

Eggs, do they have eggs? No. I bought the last lot, as I was down to my last five dozen....

(continue to Z, and then start again)

Sorry for the lack of creativity, but I haven't done any panic buying or hoarding so beyond eggs and flour I am not sure of what is not on the shelves, nor am I bothered. If we had all taken that attitude we wouldn't have created the shortages and Lidl would still have their bakery isle (the one thing that I do miss). There are four to feed in the house too, so I am not being a clever singleton so and so.

When you get to s, it has to be string, with fond memories of Tim Brooke-Taylor and the Goodies for the parody of the 70s oil crisis.

Posted by Bic Basher April 13, 07:20PM

ianr Wrote:
> > An elderly person recently asked
> > about going to the front and was
> > categorically told no.
>
> Told by whom? And was any reason given or
> implied?

By the supervisor of the queue who is one of the managers. Reason given is that NHS only have priority.

Posted by Pugwash April 13, 07:59PM

It is all very well to give times i.e 7- 8 am for NHS/Care Staff but in reality as anyone who has worked a a carer is that 7 am - 10 am is the busiest time for them. I had carers in January following an operation and when hubby spoke to St. Christopher's Care Agency - he was informed that they would have difficulty getting to me early morning due to demand. I had 10.45 - 11.45 am care slot for assistance with personal care.

As a carer of a person with variable mental health needs, I rarely am able to get out of the house before midday as my cared for person is not always willing to get up and showered in the morning and needed prompting to wash and eat.

A family friend who is parti9ally sighted and prone to fits, does not use a white stick, went to his usual shop in Lewisham and queued, and was informed by the cashier that he should have gone straight to the front of the queue. I do not wish to do on line shopping as my priority is getting out of the house for a break and my once a week shop is something that I enjoy.

Posted by Pugwash April 15, 11:43PM

Went to Sainsbury's DKH yesterday around 3 pm. Queue down to nursery but within 15 mins was able to get into store. Able to purchase everything on my list.

Posted by Soylent Green April 16, 10:53AM

That is really encouraging. I have avoided Sainsbo's since lockdown as the queues look horrific and the company does not have a good rep. for logistics. I couldn't face the disappointment of queuing for half an hour (or more!) only to walk out with half the things on my list missing.

Is 15 mins a typical queue time?

Posted by Ginster April 16, 11:02AM

It's 25 to 30 mins when queuing from the roundabout (based on 2 times last 2 weeks)

Still no flour, often no eggs, pulses hit and miss. Rest seems OK

Posted by JohnL April 16, 11:48AM

Ginster Wrote:
> It's 25 to 30 mins when queuing from the
> roundabout (based on 2 times last 2 weeks)
>
and if you are parked it's still 2 hours maximum ?

Posted by Ginster April 16, 11:49AM

Hadn't thought of that. Didn't notice my numberplate come up so either off or I was too busy looking at the queue

Posted by n dulwich northerner April 16, 01:22PM

Soylent Green Wrote:
> Is 15 mins a typical queue time?

I can't say typical, as I've not been during lockdown until 10:30 this morning. The queue reached the nursery, and I was inside within 15 minutes. Stock levels were pretty good, with a few shelves rather than whole aisles were empty. eg No flour, no own-brand coffee beans.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit was april 16, 02:18pm by n dulwich northerner.

Posted by JohnL April 16, 02:20PM

Ginster Wrote:
> Hadn't thought of that. Didn't notice my
> numberplate come up so either off or I was too
> busy looking at the queue

The Starbucks is closed I guess anyway so I wouldn't waste 20 minutes there. So swings and roundabouts smiling smiley

Posted by vic.ham April 16, 03:33PM

JohnL Wrote:
> Ginster Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > It's 25 to 30 mins when queuing from the
> > roundabout (based on 2 times last 2 weeks)
> >
> and if you are parked it's still 2 hours maximum ?

The parking rule has been suspended for a while now.

Posted by AylwardS April 16, 04:04PM

The queue time from recent trips to Sainsburys was not as bad as the length of the queue suggested it might be.

Electric car parking space in car park to entry to the store = 10-15 minutes
Queue past the nursery, along the back of the car park and half way down the next lane = 25 minutes.

People tended to overestimate the 2m so when people were let into the shop the queue moved quite a way.

Once inside markings show 2 metres, though not everyone observes them, there were a few times I needed to wait while the person in front chose what they wanted. I didn’t see any queues to pay a cashier / self service / Smart Shop.

Only one adult per party is allowed in the store.

Entrance is via the main door, exit via the door in the centre of the store.

Stock is starting to return to normal - there were toiletrolls, tinned tomatoes (though only single tins), hand wash. Flour shelves were pretty much empty and in some items there wasn’t the usual choice of brands.

The queue outside is more noticeable but a shop probably takes only a little longer than you’d expect for a busy day when you have to queue to pay.

Posted by Penguin68 April 17, 11:19AM

I had a delivery from Sainsbury's today (thanks v much) - but quite a lot of my order wasn't available - including semi-skimmed milk - I ordered a specific item/ brand (you have to) but allowed substitutions - apparently they didn't have 'my' semi-skimmed milk or any alternatives. Really?

Posted by gumshoe April 17, 07:03PM

I went this afternoon - probably about a 15/20 minute wait outside and good stock levels (apart from flour, peanut butter, tinned tomatoes, dry pasta, eggs (apart from quails eggs!) and kitchen roll - all empty shelves). So many Easter eggs!

Posted by mariababe April 17, 09:03PM

Just wanted to say thank you for posting the phone number - I finally got through and a slot booked. Much appreciated.

Posted by gromit3:16 April 17, 09:23PM

still can't work out why there's never any anti bac hand sanitizer. I haven't once seen anyone use any.

ques look like you'll be waiting a long time, Thursday I got in in around 14 minutes.

Posted by Bic Basher April 20, 01:06AM

gromit3:16 Wrote:
> still can't work out why there's never any anti
> bac hand sanitizer. I haven't once seen anyone use
> any.
>
> ques look like you'll be waiting a long time,
> Thursday I got in in around 14 minutes.

I got some hand sanitiser from Sainsbury's on Saturday afternoon. £1.05.

Posted by pearl1 April 20, 09:07PM

Hope this isn't too silly a question, but I haven't been to Sainsburys since the lockdown began. I've been using corner shops but I'm finding most of them too crowded now. What is the etiquette for queuing? Do we pick up a trolley first or wait till we get to the entrance? Are there still restrictions on what we can buy?

Posted by jonnywalker April 20, 09:46PM

I've not been to the one on DKH since before lockdown but the large superstore at Bell Green in Sydenham is really well stocked and not too long to get in as well

Posted by R U IN ED April 20, 11:09PM

Bic Basher Wrote:
> gromit3:16 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > still can't work out why there's never any anti
> > bac hand sanitizer. I haven't once seen anyone
> use
> > any.
> >
> > ques look like you'll be waiting a long time,
> > Thursday I got in in around 14 minutes.
>
> I got some hand sanitiser from Sainsbury's on
> Saturday afternoon. £1.05.

Amazing!! Congratulations. I haven't seen one yet...

Posted by gromit3:16 April 20, 11:30PM

pearl1 Wrote:
> Hope this isn't too silly a question, but I
> haven't been to Sainsburys since the lockdown
> began. I've been using corner shops but I'm
> finding most of them too crowded now. What is the
> etiquette for queuing? Do we pick up a trolley
> first or wait till we get to the entrance? Are
> there still restrictions on what we can buy?

que up, no talking, 3 meter distance gap and take any trolley you see as you walk round car park.:-)

Posted by se22cat April 21, 12:14AM

Depending on the member of staff on duty, the trolleys next to the entrance are sometimes wiped with antiseptic spray before being put back into use.

Posted by AylwardS April 21, 08:36AM

The queue isn’t as bad as it looks. As has been said it moves pretty quickly.

There are differing views of 2 metres (as a general rule I find it useful to think two trolleys or the width of a car space).

Keep moving when you can. The exit and cash machines have tape showing where to keep clear. If you can also keep clear the pedestrian steps / ramp into the car park which weren’t taped on my last visit anyone coming in will b able to observe social distance.

As for trolleys I saw people queuing with them and getting them at the entrance.

Once inside you might have to hold back if someone in front of you wants the same item (please don’t reach over them) but this wasn’t really a holdup. I didn’t see queues to pay.

It was nowhere near as bad as I was expecting.

Please wash your hands before shopping and say thank you to the staff. They are putting themselves and their family at risk to stay open for us. It looks like the lockdown is starting to have an effect but think about how many people you have contact with each day and how many they must. As you can pass on the virus without showing any symptoms we can all help slow the spread.

This might be obvious to most but unfortunately not all. I know of a shop worker who was abused for telling someone to join the queue - they’d walked past that and a sign saying only one person in the shop at a time and this was week 3 of lockdown. The second was a hospital worker who caught the infection, two members of the household caught it and he ended up on a ventilator. Seems to be on the mend and they intend to take him off the ventilator. So if we have to adapt to a new normal that seems a small price to pay.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5

Back to top of page
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Donate                   Terms of use                  Help & FAQs                   Advertise               RSS rss feed               Copyright 2006 - 2018 East Dulwich Forum