Brockwell Park closedown

Yes they are thoughtless and selfish.

But the government has not given a strong enough message about why this is not OK.

Aka you are potentially killing yourself, your relatives, your friends and ultimately everybody.

I'm sure Dulwich Park will be next.

There's already distancing abuse, some of those who would go to Brockwell will switch to Dulwich, and it's likely to be a nice day again.

Hard to argue it doesn't make sense - if the target is public safety.

OK...just seen this

Sunbathing in public spaces is against the government's coronavirus social distancing rules, Health Secretary Matt Hancock has said.

"We're absolutely clear that you should not leave your home unless it's for one of four reasons: for medical reasons, to buy food, to go to work if you can't work at home and for exercise," Mr Hancock said.

He added that the rules that have been set out for public health reasons were "backed up in law".

"It is not a request, it is a requirement in law and people need to follow it,"

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-52172035

I've not been paying close enough attention .

Sir Keir on the airwaves -

Labour, the UK's main opposition party, will back the government's possible plans to ban outdoor exercise if it was "necessary" to reduce the number of deaths from coronavirus.

Sir Keir Starmer, who was elected Labour leader on Saturday, told the BBC's Andrew Marr: "Every time people break the guidance from the government, they put other people at risk."

His comments come after Health Secretary Matt Hancock said if people continue to "flout the rules" then the government will ban exercise outside of the home.

Sir Keir said the focus has to be ?what is necessary to reduce the number of deaths?.

Basically let's just get on with full lockdown.

The 10-20% won't change.

It's been several weeks now the advice was issued.

We'll all be inconvenienced, but lives will inevitably be saved.

People's inconvenience v other people's (possibly their own?) lives = no contest.

Ee need to deal with this virus and relying on people's complicity is a hiding to nothing obviously.

Wouldn't it be possible for Lambeth to pay security to man one entrance and allow access for say parents and children ?

Lone joggers ? Similar control ?

People working from home all week/those doing essential work outside the home without access to a garden must be desperate for some fresh air ,especially those with small children .

Some numbers from twitter

3000 people doesn?t sound many. What?s normal for first sunny weekend of the year? The park is 51 hectares = 510,000m2, space for 127,500 to socially distance at 2m (or 4m2 each)

There are lots of pictures apparently from yesterday and it looked pretty clear. Those with gardens should definitely use hem and not add to the congestion in our parks for those who have no choice.

Parks are essential for people's sanity at the moment, if they close them all there will be a rise in mental health issues and domestic violence, and it will affect the most vulnerable.

I agree that people with gardens should use them, leave the open spaces for those with no outside space of their own.

Exactly. The people not heeding the rules are people who are not likely to heed any threats. Speaking of punishing everyone for them is just lazy and irresponsible governing. Police the people who gather in groups and are outside not doing one of the acceptable activities, not the rest of us. This is the nation's health and sanity we're talking about in continuing to allow outdoor exercise, not a school with wayward children.

intexasatthe moment Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Wouldn't it be possible for Lambeth to pay

> security to man one entrance and allow access for

> say parents and children ?

> Lone joggers ? Similar control ?

>

> People working from home all week/those doing

> essential work outside the home without access to

> a garden must be desperate for some fresh air

> ,especially those with small children .

NewWave Wrote:

> I seriously fear I will go crazy if I can't leave

> my house and go for a solo walk.

> as usual the few will ruin it for the many

We're about to have our windows and balconies sealed by our social landlord so work can continue outside - in that case I will go silly if there's no way to get fresh air.

Close to it already today hearing about it :)

sjsl Wrote:

> Parks are essential for people's sanity at the

> moment, if they close them all there will be a

> rise in mental health issues and domestic

> violence, and it will affect the most vulnerable.

> I agree that people with gardens should use them,

> leave the open spaces for those with no outside

> space of their own.

During the week we have builders next door making noise with power tools and creating dust because they have not got the nous to put a barrier up- like we were promised. I have had to notify the council environment team as clouds of brick dust into my garden is WRONG.

We did exercise outside for about 90 minutes a day in the neighbourhood during the week and planned on staying in the garden over the weekend when the builders aer not there- BUT the house next door but one decided he was going to use a power tool on Saturday to cut up wood and again dust is drifting into my garden as there is no fence- so we went out but it was very busy everywheer.

I was determined to stay in the garden on Sunday BUT there he is again starting at 10.00 am cutting up wood- it is still going on but he shifted it from the back garden to the front garden BUT are there any NHS workers on a night shift around here...I know there is one person at least who is a key worker.....

Then of course someone else started using power tools this afternoon- NOT a lawn mower and not a strimmer....the inconsiderate bad behaviour is contagious unfortunately.

I'm just waiting for the barbecues to start up now....more lung/environmental damage

Young 20s neighbours today have a gang of mates around for a BBQ. They aren't typically disrespectful types either. I just can't fathom out where the message isn't getting through - do they not understand? do they not care? I'm just a bit shocked as they are usually the first to be championing social causes and so on.

There are currently 220,000 people with SIA badges - door supervisor badges, previously known as bouncers. They all have a current DBS, and are trained to deal with the public, especially the very pesky public.

An awful lot of them must not be working at the moment, so can't local authorities hire some of them as park gate supervisors? There could be a rota so people with family names A to E could go Mondays, etc.

Last time I looked there were also 750,000 volunteers signed up to the Government volunteer site, most of whom haven't even been contacted. Bound to be some overlap between now unumployed SIA badge holders and COVID volunteers.

But even if they have to be paid, they would be extremely good value to keep the parks open but stop spread of the virus. Would also be a good idea if they could be stationed at smaller stores, was a woman merrily coughing her way around a Nisa yesterday, refusing to distance.