Nosey neighbours

On Friday evening a woman knocked on my door around 10.30pm and woke me up. My housemates who were upstairs spoke to her and she advised she has been monitoring our property and believed we were having people over. We actually are a house of 7 and have never broken any lockdown rules or any rules around noise.

I feel really uncomfortable about being watched by our neighbours particularly when we have done nothing wrong.

I don't even know who it could be as I didn't recognise the description.

Has anyone encountered anything similar to this?

Must have been startling to be visited like that, not something anyone would appreciate !

However looking at it from that visitor's perspective, if she suspected there were visitors attending your house she was doing the responsible thing.

If she was correct and you had been receiving visitors, she would still be doing the responsible thing.

It feels like an imposition, but seven adults could easily raise concerns from anyone ignorant of the actual situation and her only way of checking was to ask.

It probably was the number of in/out traffic that caught her eye in the first place.

Now she knows and you can all crack on with whatever normality is left to enjoy !

Either mad or a pest. I'm afraid this sort of situation will bring out the mavens. It doesn't help that some reports of intrusive police activity will get people thinking we are living with the Stasi and start acting as if we were. It is up to us to police ourselves, certainly, but not to police other people in this way.

It's strange (and sad) that we get a story like this in amidst the very heartening ones of neighbours calling on each other to ask if help is needed and to offer it.

Good on her. She was concerned, did something about it, and found out she?d been wrong. 2230 is too late to knock but otherwise I?m glad she?s community spirited. She didn?t suspect and then come here or to Facebook etc. but did something herself. Lots of others would be too embarrassed or even afraid.

Frankito Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Sorry but if anyone, short of the police, turn up

> at my door at that time on a Friday night I would

> happily turn the water hose on them - end of...!

10.30 on a Friday night is EARLY....just goes to show this situation is messing with everyone's mind...my daughter called me a curtain twitcher the other day...

Let's face it you are all unsocial southerners who do not speak to your neighbours, people on shop and buses, and prefer to do your communication on line. When I were a lad you could leave your door open when your were down pit, sweeping chimneys or in service at the local big house knowing that your few belongings in your back to back would be safe and the only people who would come in would be to feed your cat.

Good thread by the way. It is a spoof one. Surely. What?

• 2 weeks later...

They could be casing your house to see if the lights going on from real occupiers. Classic burglary technique. Usually they'll say they're looking for fake named person. Now they can come up with this excuse.

If this was genuine they wouldn't come round at 10.30pm.

Late night knocking. One time it happened to us. We ignored it.Next thing two chaps had kicked the front door in and I had to chase them away.

• 2 weeks later...