Teenagers in playground

I've been to the Rye three times in the last week and every time I see teenagers playing in the playground. I especially sympathise with parents of children in this age group but they really need to get the message. As if a bolted gate and multiple signs weren't enough.

Jules-and-Boo Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I know, I saw adults in the park too.

>

> Why are people just NOT getting the message?

Because there has not been a sufficiently clear and coordinated public information campaign which tells people not just what they must and mustn't do, but also exactly WHY.

Peckhampam Wrote:

> Sue

> I have to disagree. What you can do and why has

> been repeated ad infinitum on all

> telecommunications channels. But some people just

> don't think it applies to them.

Yes Peckhampam is right. Every time I see a group of teens TOGETHER- they are the same age and obviously come from different households. They are putting themselves and their own families at risk. Their parents probably lost control of them some time ago and they will do just as they please. The public information is CRYSTAL clear....but as I read on a blog or post from a father- '24/7 parenting is impossible.'

who parents the irresponsible adults who are out?

Every time I see a group of adults together - who clearly do NOT live together, I want to call the police or their parents. but at their age, they should certainly know better. They are not setting a good example to our young people.

The information on what to do is crystal clear, yes.

I disagree that it is clear as to exactly why, for example that somebody can transmit the virus to many others whilst showing no symptoms whatsoever themselves.

And also the exponential nature of the transmission, and how that changes if one person initially transmits the virus to two, or to ten, and so on and so on.

It certainly wasn't clear on the government information I got with the letter from Boris.

If people don't understand the reasons why they are being asked to do things, they are less likely to do them, I would have thought.

I suppose it's only people who have lost a job and have to beg for some money from the government to live on, have to queue for an hour to buy food, need to pause your mortgage or rent payments and other debt, see family members in quarantine, have to home school your children... even if you didn't understand the reason for social isolation, you'd realise it was bloody serious.

If you're not directly impacted by any of these things, you'd need to have it explained to you in a different way. And clearly that isn't happening.

That, exactly Binkylilyput.

Thanks for posting the link.

Don't let your fear of our teens make you forget they are extremely vulnerable.

They are too poor to move out if they need to be safe and have no control over their home environment.

If they were happy and safe at home, you can bet your bottom dollar that that is where they would be.

worldwiser Wrote:

> I suppose it's only people who have lost a job and

> have to beg for some money from the government to

> live on, have to queue for an hour to buy food,

> need to pause your mortgage or rent payments and

> other debt, see family members in quarantine, have

> to home school your children... even if you didn't

> understand the reason for social isolation, you'd

> realise it was bloody serious.

>

> If you're not directly impacted by any of these

> things, you'd need to have it explained to you in

> a different way. And clearly that isn't happening.

No, it doesn't seem to be.

Sue Wrote:

> The information on what to do is crystal clear,

> yes.

>

> I disagree that it is clear as to exactly why, for

> example that somebody can transmit the virus to

> many others whilst showing no symptoms whatsoever

> themselves.

>

> And also the exponential nature of the

> transmission, and how that changes if one person

> initially transmits the virus to two, or to ten,

> and so on and so on.

>

> It certainly wasn't clear on the government

> information I got with the letter from Boris.

>

> If people don't understand the reasons why they

> are being asked to do things, they are less likely

> to do them, I would have thought.

Yes I suppose that accounts for the number of people who use a public toilet and don't wash their hands....

I don't believe there are many out there including teens, who don't know what's going on especially since Primark is shut etc

I was speaking to my sister yesterday who is a business owner, (many people all different age groups use her store) she's not that often opinionated but yesterday she was.

She is getting angry (yes that's the word she used) at seeing teenagers/youngsters hanging out together instead of isolating.

I was quite chilled about it & thought well if they've got nowhere to go then good luck to them, if they get ill it's their problem (as well as the NHS' of course)

She weren't having it.

As she quite rightly put it if there ar elderly/vulnerable people in a hospital & they have to make a choice as to who's life should be saved, they'd no doubt choose the youngsters!

So yes people unnecessarily going out are putting other people's lives at risk & not realising.

Tbh I wasn't thinking on that level, but when she put it to to me..... Well what can I say

I think we have to remember here, what is it like to be a teenager. You feel invincible at that age right? And death is something that happens to old people right? We live in a western culture where most people do not die before their time. This is very different to parts of the world where people frequently die from the impacts of poor hygiene, poor sanitation, and poor healthcare. In many ways, our first world sanitation is our downfall. We live in a bubble where the very idea of an unseen microscopic virus upending our way of life is an anathema.

So that poses a question that is as much about culture as it is about science. How do we impress on that minority of teens and adults alike who think they are not part of the risk? The good news is that they are a minority. The bad news is that it only takes one infected person to cause havoc with this virus. I don't have the answers either sadly, but if we are to change those minority mindsets, we need to be clever about it. It is about winning the argument.

If teenagers today are anything I was like as a teenager, then they will automatically want to do the opposite of what they?re told. They are learning about life and testing authority. Just ranting about their behaviour and complaining about their parents won?t help, the problem needs to be articulated to them in a different way. I don?t have the answer to this by the way!