We are trialing a dedicated East Dulwich COVID-19 Area on the forum here - please keep it useful.

Forum Sponsors

www.stevenvaughan.co.uk

All Round Renovation

http://www.ellyallen.com/

Advertise here

The East Dulwich Forum
Coffee tastes best at... Blue Mountain? Caffe Nero? The East Dulwich Cafe?
messageShopping without cash
Posted by AylwardS April 15, 07:28AM

Sainsburys have been saying they will do a volunteer card but Iíve not seen itís happened yet.

Just had an email.

If you are shopping at, or need someone to shop for you, Tesco, Asda, Morrisonís, Waitrose or M&S Give As You Live do store grocery cards you can preload. You choose a charity and they benefit each time the card is used. You / the person doing your shopping / person on the till donít need to handle cash.

messageRe: Shopping without cash
Posted by gromit3:16 April 15, 06:41PM

but they need to handle a card so does it matter if they handle cash.

Posted by KidKruger April 15, 09:59PM

contactless card transactions ?

Posted by shelly2106 April 16, 06:18PM

Asda has a volunteer card and m&s the 'we're in this together card. What happens is the person needing help buys a virtual card online or via the telephone,tops up with amount needed and the volunteer gets sent an email to print out or barcode on mobile to pay for the goods

Posted by hamnajain April 17, 06:43AM

Not accepting cash excludes service to those without access to credit cards, but a new bill would make it illegal for restaurants to refuse paper money.

Posted by dbboy April 17, 11:45AM

Sainsbury's not accepting cash on the checkout, checkout workers are all wearing gloves anyway, and making people use self service instead. They are then not wiping the self service tills down, unlike in Morrisons who both take cash and as seen yesterday also wipe down the self service tills between each customers use

After having queued round the car park with everyone else (people still don't know what 2m is, making the queue much longer than it needs to be, and they seem transfixed and glued to their phones rather than concentrating on keeping a safe distance apart and moving forward.

Yesterday one guy in the queue had an SLR camera and was duly taking zoom photo's of the queue!!!!

Posted by gromit3:16 April 17, 09:29PM

it's not right Sainsbury s not accepting cash as their own adverts say try to use cards, it doesn't say we refuse cash.
the staff are wearing gloves so why can't they handle cash. When they empty self service tills they will have to handle cash.

how will people who buy cigarettes and lottery tickets get around this.

Posted by JohnL April 18, 10:17AM

hamnajain Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Not accepting cash excludes service to those
> without access to credit cards, but a new bill
> would make it illegal for restaurants to refuse
> paper money.

The restaurant industry (and maybe the entire food industry) will change after this. How much I don't know but I think it will. Maybe we'll all change how we live permanently.

Posted by dbboy April 18, 03:25PM

Have a think about all the shops, butchers, bakers, fishmongers, general stores etc, in the future will they continue to implement social/personal distancing?

Posted by vic.ham April 18, 03:59PM

you an use cash at the self service checkout, and there is someone to help if you need it, as I did. I paid cash at kiosk/customer service too when I got my neighbours lottery.

Posted by Bic Basher April 20, 01:04AM

Staff in Sainsbury's will help elderly customers as well who are more used to paying at the checkout if they still use cash at the self-service tills.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit was april 20, 01:04am by Bic Basher.

Back to top of page
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Donate                   Terms of use                  Help & FAQs                   Advertise               RSS rss feed               Copyright 2006 - 2018 East Dulwich Forum