Southwark News: ED 91-year-old lady left with no care

That?s worrying. Ninety-one-year-old lady with covid-19 symptoms left with no care until her family arrived in her sheltered accommodation on Underhill Road. Looks like she?s okay now, luckily.

https://www.southwarknews.co.uk/news/91-year-old-left-with-no-care-for-24-hours-after-being-discharged-from-hospital-with-covid-19/?fbclid=IwAR0sIOfhQHyu9PFFiiOPUhTJJtAEfoNQ2LrGMIZ52xs4jmhgmUAj8mGfGHA

Nigello Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> We need to all pay a penny more in the pound to

> fund a National Care Service, and for bigger firms

> to be taxed heavily as a one off. I doubt, though,

> we would see people taking it the streets to

> demand to be taxed more.

Totally agree. The costs of providing care are increasing, and the money has to come from somewhere .....

This shouldn't be happening ever. Hopefully lessons will be learned. I suspect a rise in income tax will be coming at some point. It has to. And the government will feel it is better to do it early in a term, over leaving it to before a looming election. Some of the local authority funding that was taken away over the past ten years will also have to be restored. Government also has options around Council Tax rises and VAT too.

I can't get my head round this ," staff at Lew Evans were unable to enter her mother?s room as she was still infectious."

seems odd ,but I suppose there were no masks and staff presumably were terrified . I suppose whoever delivered the lunch on Thursday wasn't aware of any reason not to enter the room .

"A member of the rapid response team answered and said she had been sent to care, but was supposed to be with a member of the London Care team who had failed to provide anyone.

As a result rapid response had to withdraw the care and my mother was essentially left to die as no-one would enter her flat."

I wonder what the protocol is for rapid response staff in such circumstances ? Must be a bit more than "withdraw" ?

And whoever delivered the meal ,finding someone completely immobile and with a failure in care provision - what are their guidelines in such circumstances ?

And yes yes to paying more tax to fund care services ,though I think I'd like LA services as opposed to private businesses .

Care services are either run by the Local Council or are privately owned so the cost of say, Lew Evans would be an add- on to council tax as it is a council care home

https://fullfact.org/health/council-tax-and-social-care-explaining-your-bill/

From remarks that Matt Hancock made at the beginning of the pandemic some councils were slow in passing on the extra government money that they were allocated to help with the crisis.

Lew Evans is an Extra Sheltered Housing Unit and has a team of carers on site Last time I dealt with the SHU - staff covered 24 hour shifts with minimal staff on over night ( this may have changed in the last 2/3 years).

I would imagine that staff were having difficulty in getting personal protection equipment - I notice that this article is based on information in the early stages of lockdown where the importance of home carers were not recognised by the government.

Each user of care services would have been financially assessed as to the amount they would need to contribute towards their care plan - regardless whether they were in their individual home, SHUs or Extra SHUs.