Rye lane walk & cycle only from 6/7

https://www.southwark.gov.uk/news/2020/jul/rye-lane-temporary-closure

Rye Lane is being made walking and cycling only from Monday 6 July, with buses diverted and trolleys to help shops with loading. Seeing how busy the footways have been, this seems months overdue, so better late than never for social distancing. The change may last longer than COVID as it will help the works around Peckham Rye station.

This change will increase motor traffic on Bellenden Road and Camberwell Grove however, as happened during the closure for gas works. Camberwell Grove forms part of cycleway 17, the same route Carlton Avenue is on. Clearly the council will need to take urgent measures to filter rat-running through this area too.

so does this mean getting to the station is going to be more difficult? then they wonder why people don't use public transport!!!

what about the customers of Rye Lane - many of which use buses to get there? I am beginning to think Southwark wants to shut us all down?

The ancient roman system was to disallow wheeled traffic (carts) on the streets during the day, allowing them at night. It would make sense (and facilitate necessary deliveries to shops etc.) if Rye Lane was open to traffic, say, midnight to 4.00am (or even later, 1.00 am to 5.00am.) That way commerce wouldn't be entirely hamstrung.

I don?t think it will add to the ?pleasure? of using the Lane. No traffic at all, including buses, will add to the Ponderosa feel the Lane has, especially as you head south past the station. Let?s face it, it is not well loved or well maintained and the absence of familiar things like London buses (which are a public good, not a private luxury) won?t help out. I have seen the hard work of the litter pickers and graffiti removers whose efforts are not repaid by the incessant litter droppers and vandals. (Some of the artwork is really good, like when shutters are painted, and I would love to see more of this.)

rollflick Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> https://www.southwark.gov.uk/news/2020/jul/rye-lan

> e-temporary-closure

>

> Rye Lane is being made walking and cycling only

> from Monday 6 July, with buses diverted and

> trolleys to help shops with loading. Seeing how

> busy the footways have been, this seems months

> overdue, so better late than never for social

> distancing. The change may last longer than COVID

> as it will help the works around Peckham Rye

> station.

>

> This change will increase motor traffic on

> Bellenden Road and Camberwell Grove however, as

> happened during the closure for gas works.

> Camberwell Grove forms part of cycleway 17, the

> same route Carlton Avenue is on. Clearly the

> council will need to take urgent measures to

> filter rat-running through this area too.

What a terrible decision and one that was made during the Covid situation! Many vulnerable people i.e. people that cannot walk or cycle to local destinations are now finding bus routes etc. suddenly stopped.

I have tried to discuss this on the navel gazing Dulwich Safer Streets thread over on the main page. So short sighted to not deal with bus routes. Improving air quality and encouraging walking and cycling but not thinking about public transport is just madness.

Mrs D the buses stop at Nigel Road ( other side to the Tesco Express ) and then divert down Copeland Road which is more or less parallel to Rye Lane .

They do not stop near the station ,you need to walk down from the Nigel Road stop .It's the same route used during the works last year when they dug up the road in Rye Lane .

went to Peckham today and the cyclists are swerving all over the road instead of riding in a straight line. looks like some are deliberately trying to be a pain.

I.still use the traffic lights to cross otherwise it's like a game of dodge the cyclist.

If roads are being made vehicle free to facilitate social distancing then pedestrians must have priority on the roads. Perhaps cyclists should be forced to dismount and walk through areas like this.

KidKruger Wrote:

> Yep cyclists are happy to let you know it?s

> ?their? road now, only the pavement bit is for

> pedestrians as far as they are concerned ! Not a

> sense of shared space.

Having seen how some people cycle I would not be surprised if there are some nasty accidents, if we get to a point where lots of people start to cycle. As with all vehicles, there will be speed freaks who enjoy a bit of high risk weaving around people and other cyclists.

KidKruger Wrote:

> there's 'should be' and 'whats actually

> practical'.

> No one is going to police it.

Until someone rings one of these no win no fee lawyers you see on TV all day (could be cyclist or walker or both).

Mind I prefer the lawyer adverts to the ones about "my funeral"

Blah Blah just because you don't observe something others have experienced, doesn't delete their point, nor does it mean hysteria is automatically about to start (although hysteria on EDF is all but guaranteed on most threads!).

I'm sure the other cyclists present when the above observations by walkers were made also thought everything was fine, too.

I've been on Rye Lane before and since - experiencing both fair-shared space and what seem like aggressive 'my patch' cyclists.

It obviously won't be one OR the other for the entirety of every second of every day. You know this already.

But news of a shared space to enable distancing, then experiencing belligerence from others when trying to make use of it to feel safe, will inevitably bother some people when made to feel unsafe.

When it does happen, it's exactly 'jogger mentality'; I've got the momentum, I'm going at speed, it's a pain for me to have to slow down for you, I am taking priority here, just get out of my way, don't use my road, I'm on my way somewhere here while you're only walking, move.

It doesn't mean all cyclists at every time.