safest masks to protect ourselves against covid??

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/aug/26/non-woven-masks-better-to-stop-covid-19-says-japanese-supercomputer

Remember that masks help, especially these, but all face coverings don?t magic the virus away completely. Staying away from others and washing hands (or never ever putting fingers to mouth, eyes, nostrils, ear holes) would work most effectively. Wash your face covering or mask (woven ? cotton, linen, etc.) and dispose effectively and safe,6 of the non-woven ones after a day?s use.

Being in a closed, poorly ventilated space at close quarters with others, all or mostly unmasked, is a good way of increasing your chance of getting infected.

I?m not a medic so I?m using common sense and the knowledge I have.

Here is the Daily Mail article, quite useful for everyday COVID use:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-8682297/How-virus-proof-mask-laboratory-conditions-professor-answers-burning-question.html

If you want to scare yourself silly then here is an article from (a relatively sane) US prepper site which covers heavyweight respirators, etc. Their research seems pretty good:

https://theprepared.com/gear/reviews/best-gas-mask-respirator-survival/

which are the best ones for protecting ourselves against getting Covid which are available to the general public?

The ones being worn by people in your vicinity. You are less likely to inhale Covid-19 particles than you are to transfer them to you on your hands - hence the emphasis on hand washing. Doctors and nurses in full PPE were still catching the virus - suggesting that even the best PPE may not be sufficient. Social distancing, hand-washing and others wearing masks (as well as you, for them) are the 'best' methods. Staying 2 metres from people indoors, and ensuring if you can that there is good ventilation (but autumn and winter are close upon us) is your best defence.

Doctors and nurses even with PPE couldn't social distance with their patients - and wards are generally poorly ventilated (air conditioning is no good for this).

I am in favour of masks, and in fact double up with scarf over top.

but they buy these masks, and only token wear them

either balance them on chin or just cover mouth,

leaving nose completely uncovered.

I dont think we stand a chance with this selfish attitude

whatever decent mask we buy

• 3 weeks later...

As far as I know, masks labeled N95 are probably the best type available to the public. They filter 95% of particles down to 0.3 microns (small enough to include viral aerosol particles). Don't use a mask with an exhalation valve as your breath comes out unfiltered and you do not protect anyone else. I've just been wearing disposable N95 dust masks.

For self-protection, seal is important. Some people's masks look quite loose. The gaps on the sides of the nose are points where air can get in, so masks with metal strips over the nose are good or a mask which comes high up. You can buy bags of nose strips on Amazon that can be sewn onto fabric masks if they don't have them. You'll probably never get a perfect seal, but personally I like to see the mask move in and out when I breath. I think this indicates that not much unfiltered air is being sucked in. Also, I check how much the smell of perfume spray is blocked.

I've just read that one test is to try and blow out a lighted match - it shouldn't be easy.

lameduck Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I am in favour of masks, and in fact double up

> with scarf over top.

> but they buy these masks, and only token wear

> them

> either balance them on chin or just cover mouth,

> leaving nose completely uncovered.

> I dont think we stand a chance with this selfish

> attitude

> whatever decent mask we buy

yup totally agree!

I'm so over people just either not wearing them on public transport and in shops or just wearing them with their noses sticking out or on their chins.

people really do need to grow up and take responsibility for all our sakes.

Naiada Wrote:

> I've read through all the above comments - if

> anyone has a link to any online site selling

> reusable N99 + N95 masks that would be helpful as

> I can only find disposable ones ....

I was looking for the same thing. But it seems N95/N99 filters are not available for reusable masks.

You can get fabric reusable masks with pockets to insert filters - but the only available filters are labelled PM2.5. I assume they are not quite as effective (2.5 microns is quite a bit larger than the 0.3 microns N95 masks are able to block) however, I believe they still give a reasonable degree of protection.

I'm afraid I don't have any reccomendations as I am reusing N95 dust masks while I am deciding which reusable one to get myself. But while looking around I came across these two which both have built in filters (filtering >90% of 3 micron particles):

https://www.vistaprint.co.uk/masks/all/adults/

https://www.boobalou.co.uk/100-organic-cotton-3-layer-face-mask.html

They are not perfect as I believe virus aerosol particles can go down to 1 micron in size. But I think that is why it is important for everyone to wear masks. It is easier to stop the particles when they are still large which is just after they have left someones mouth, than later on when they have broken down and got smaller.

• 2 weeks later...
Masks help and they also give a sense of solidarity etc. If you?re on a bus or train, or in a car with people unknown to you or not in your bubble, open the windows. Fresh (even the kind we get here) air helps dilute the concentration of aerosols and other particles in the air. Too many buses are rolling around all tightly sealed. Do your bit!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

N95, KN95 are disposable masks and cannot be rewashed and/or reused. Treat them with the same logic like you would an air purifier, you will eventually have to replace. Most disposable masks are good for 9-10 hour continuous wear, so no removal otherwise put on another fresh mask and always keep a spare sealed in your bag if you're on the go. Your mask should not be sticking to your nose at every inhale, which many of these homemade masks that are made, are guilty of.

Most of these masks that are being created off the back of COVID hitting us are pretty much only "fashion masks" (unlike in East and South East Asia where they are very common since SARS so are developed to include the replaceable filter holder within the masks). With that being said, any covering such as cotton is better than nothing if that's all you have. But I agree with the other comments stating that hand washing as super important, masks alone do not prevent you from contracting the virus but it will help shield you more so. Just keep your distance, wash your hands, don't go crazy on the sanitiser if you wash your hands well enough you don't want to kill your good bacteria, wear your mask properly and stay home if you have symptoms.

And to those who disagree with mask wearing, fair enough but respect businesses, staff and those in our community that follow it because of the law, because of the vulnerable people they live with and their own health. If you don't want to wear a mask, then don't put others at risk by going into their establishment.

Take care!

Most disposable masks are good for 9-10 hour continuous wear, so no removal otherwise put on another fresh mask and always keep a spare sealed in your bag if you're on the go.

More frequent mask changing is required of NHS staff who are treating known (or suspected) Covid patients. And in A&E staff will change masks between patients as required. 'Civilian' usages however can well go as described.

The major benefit of mask wearing is so you can protect others - on the assumption that you have it, but are asymptomatic. That's why if everyone wears masks when in relatively close contact indoors everyone's chances of contracting it are reduced (because everyone's chances of spreading it are also reduced).

• 2 weeks later...

elloriac Wrote:

> Which magazine tested commercially available

> reusable masks, they've made the article available

> to everyone, not just subscribers

> https://www.which.co.uk/reviews/face-masks/article

> /best-reusable-face-masks-awLeA3A6XoZD/

Sorry, but the Which report is of little value as it fails to make a scientific analysis.

An official grading system for masks already exists. It is outlined here..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FFP_standards

Frankly, unless you are wearing full surgical barrier equipment (hospital grade mask, screen face protector etc., and change these no more than 4 hours after first use) then you will find little that protects you - why we are asked to wear masks is to protect others, if we have (asymptomatic or pre-symptomatic) Covid-19 - as the mask will substantially reduce the infected spray droplets we breathe out. Any mask you are wearing where you can't blow out a candle flame will certainly be quite effective - which probably means two or more ply, with or without an additional filter (which can just be a folded paper tissue).

• 3 weeks later...

Penguin68 Wrote:

. Any mask you are wearing where you

> can't blow out a candle flame will certainly be

> quite effective - which probably means two or more

> ply, with or without an additional filter

Your "candle test" is highly misleading and outright dangerous. You could have a mask that is so thick and impenetrable that you could never blow out a candle. In that case, it restricts the air too much and so you are actually breathing air that comes in round the edges of the mask, ie air that is not filtered.

The only effective mask is one that fits closely all round the face -especially over the bridge of the nose. That way all the air your breath is filtered by the layers of mask rather than coming in round the edges.

Masks are graded. Do not risk anything less than PP2 (also known as N95). PP3 is best.

The "candle bowing" thing is classic fake news. Sadly also, lots of people have jumped on the bandwagon offering home made cloth masks than frankly are totally USELESS.

Every one should do thorough research rather than believe in hearsay!

In that case, it restricts the air too much and so you are actually breathing air that comes in round the edges of the mask, ie air that is not filtered.

I would not (I do not) wear a mask to protect myself, but to protect others, should I be an asymptomatic carrier. Outside of hospital conditions I would not expect 'normal' PPE to be doubling as a hazmat suit. It appears you are advocating wearing masks as a protection to you - not to others. I would not do that - and if people believe that their masks will be protecting them (again, outside a hospital situation with full PPE) then they are misleading themselves. Remember if you are going down that route that you should change and dispose of your mask every 4 hours for it to offer you any safety, wear disposable aprons or gowns so your clothes aren't contaminated etc.

Your derided candle test at least shows that the mask you are wearing will help stop, or at least diminish, the contaminated spray from your nose and mouth. Frankly I would not be relying on any mask, but social distancing, short contact times and others wearing masks, for my own protection.

Penguin68 Wrote:

> I would not (I do not) wear a mask to protect

> myself, but to protect others, should I be an

> asymptomatic carrier. Outside of hospital

> conditions I would not expect 'normal' PPE to be

> doubling as a hazmat suit. It appears you are

> advocating wearing masks as a protection to you -

> not to others. I would not do that - and if people

> believe that their masks will be protecting them

> (again, outside a hospital situation with full

> PPE) then they are misleading themselves.

> Your derided candle test at least shows that the

> mask you are wearing will help stop, or at least

> diminish, the contaminated spray from your nose

> and mouth. Frankly I would not be relying on any

> mask, but social distancing, short contact times

> and others wearing masks, for my own protection.

I most certainly do wear a mask to protect myself. If I protect myself and do not get infected then I cannot possibly pass it on to someone else whether they are in my immediate family or not. This consideration is further reinforced because my spouse and I are both in a vulnerable demographic.

To enhance this protection, we both strictly observe the need to maintain social distancing, short contact time etc etc. And yes, if one spends protracted time in a high risk environment, then the mask should be discarded after 4 hours. At a retail price of about ?9 each for a decent mask, it becomes an expensive business.

From a purely logical point of view, it make no sense to have a mask that is a barrier rather than a filter. A mask is only effective if it actually FILTERS the air and this can only be done by trapping the virus particles within the layers of fabric. This is precisely why the best masks are made from non-woven material. Woven fabrics have gaps between treads that virus particles can easily pass through.

But don't just take my word, here is what the Gruniad said https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/aug/26/non-woven-masks-better-to-stop-covid-19-says-japanese-supercomputer.

If you have a largely impenetrable fabric barrier then the incoming and outgoing air will pass around the perimeter of the mask i.e. it will follow the path of least resistance. This is also why front-line NHS staff receive detailed training on how to fit masks properly.

I'm quite happy to pay ?9 for a decent (scientifically proven) mask rather than rely on some speculation about blowing out candles. ?9 is a reasonable insurance premium.

• 2 weeks later...

We wear masks to protect others, to reduce likelihood of droplets reaching them. Blowing out a candle is a good measure.

Government advice is the best place to go for information

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/face-coverings-when-to-wear-one-and-how-to-make-your-own/face-coverings-when-to-wear-one-and-how-to-make-your-own

Medical masks are there for a different purpose ie protecting those on the front line, again good government advice

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/regulatory-status-of-equipment-being-used-to-help-prevent-coronavirus-covid-19?utm_source=Gov&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=MHRA_COVID-19_updates&utm_content=HCP7#face-masks-and-face-coverings

extracting from this: Face coverings intended for use by the general public are not PPE or medical devices. As such they do not carry a CE mark and should not be sold or donated as PPE or medical devices.