The Test and Trace App

Alan Medic

I have downloaded it too but there are problems with it.

Firstly, it will only work on newer phones with the latest versions of android and apple OS. This means a good percentage of the population won't be able to use it.

Secondly, it relies upon the user to report if they have tested positive for covid.

Effective track and trace can only work if a majority of the population are signed up to it, or are willing to participate. As yet, there is nothing in play from government that achieves that. So I suspect the level of effectiveness will be limited.

It'll work on my phone but not installed yet - need IOS 13.5 I notice - but then I won't be going out until thursday.

I know people who will try and catch the bluetooth broadcasts just to prove they can and test it really is secure but it seems okay :)

Blah Blah Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> And the nonsensical ban on Huawei is shown for

> what it is. That is an estimated four million

> Brits alone, who won't be able to use this app for

> that reason.

I've spoken to people who have Huawei and it works? I need to try it out on my Huawei

today i got a message on my home screen telling me I'd been in contact with someone with Covid.

and that they had the location of that contact taking place.

when I opened my phone the message disappeared.

Needless to say I got in a panic-should I self isolate? should I contact everyone I've seen in the last few days?

and where was the contact? If it was at work it could have been prolonged contact or what it that I was walking by someone in the street? I searched the app my emails, nothing no other notification.

Still unsure as to wether I should immediately self isolate I googled what had happened and found this:

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-some-users-of-nhs-tracing-app-incorrectly-given-covid-19-exposure-alerts-12086225

It was exactly the message i received and with same outcome.

to be honest it has made me lose faith in the app a bit

This a known bug with the app. It was highlighted a few day's ago in a BBC article. The article explained that this can be triggered by the system if you have been close to someone but your contact doesn't meet the criteria for isolation, i.e. within two metres for 15 minutes. If it were a genuine alert an automatic 14 day isolation countdown would be shown in red on the home screen of the app.

Friernlocal Wrote:

> This a known bug with the app. It was highlighted

> a few day's ago in a BBC article. The article

> explained that this can be triggered by the system

> if you have been close to someone but your contact

> doesn't meet the criteria for isolation, i.e.

> within two metres for 15 minutes. If it were a

> genuine alert an automatic 14 day isolation

> countdown would be shown in red on the home screen

> of the app.

This one - alerts that disappear ?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-54389083

PeckhamNicola Wrote:

> Am I right that it works using Bluetooth, and if

> so does it eat through battery power like crazy?

It doesn't seem to use that much more battery from my experience of the app on my phone

PeckhamNicola Wrote:

> Am I right that it works using Bluetooth, and if

> so does it eat through battery power like crazy?

and if you want a quick pint and don't want to be seen and are irresponsible.

Just turn bluetooth off.

If this works on your phone then Install and use it and encourage others to. Once installed you can pretty much forget about it.

Yes there were issues when it first came out but the updates were quick and there?s not been anything in the news in recent days which would indicate any issues are resolved. Every time Apple do an iOS update I wait a week before updating and how many patches do Microsoft issue? Software updates cause issues, this app is no different.

I?ve checked into a venue - make sure you scan the NHS QR code not the venue?s own if they had one before. It worked first time for me.

Just checked battery usage on my iPhone 6S and the app usage was under 1% so not even recorded.

Note this does something different to the Zoe Covid app so please use both.