Heathrow to ED/Lordship Lane via public transport?

Pengui

A good friend is flying into Heathrow tomorrow late morning and would like to get to ED by public transportation. She's a bit of a world traveler and doesn't mind the hassle. Any suggestions for how to best do this? We're relatively new here and I have yet to figure this out...

Thanks!

Not the fastest but the easiest and cheapest would be Piccadilly line to

Leicester Square then you come out of station right next to 176 bus stop.

Otherwise heathrow link to Paddington, bakerloo to elephant & castle then 40

or 176 - but a lot more walking between changes that way.

The route I have taken before is Piccadilly line line to Green Park, change onto Jubilee line for London bridge and then take overground train from London bridge to east dulwich. It'll probably take around 1 hour and 15 minutes. Beware though if she has heavy luggage, its a bit of a walk at Green Park.

Heathrow Express is quickest (but not cheap). From Paddington, take Bakerloo to Baker St and Jubilee to London Bridge, then train to ED. Much better than going via Elephant if you don't mind the train fare, which is slightly higher than the bus.

I usually get the Picadilly line to Picadilly Circus and then the Bakerloo to Elephant. Then you have the choice of the 12 or the 63 bus if you live at the Barry Road side of East Dulwich. Alternatively, Picadilly line to Gloucester Road, Circle/District to Victoria and then 185 bus up Lordship Lane. Should take an hour, hour and a half.

Alec

Picadilly to Green Park, Victoria Line to Vauxhall and 37 / 185 to ED.

For a whacky but probably just as quick route off-peak, try the 285 from Heathrow to Feltham (20-30 mins), train to Vauxhall (30 mins), 185 to ED (20 mins).

Edited to add: the Feltham route is really grim and not recommended.

I think I win with my piccadilly/176 option! It really depends, of course, how close the final destination is to an overground station. If walkable from a station then sure, use a suggested train route, but if you are going to end up getting a bus down Lordship Lane etc you might as well get on at Leicester Square and enjoy the varied sights.

(one caveat - I never use this route myself from Heathrow as I usually travel light and rarely do longhaul flights. If I had no luggage and plenty of energy I'd get piccadilly then district to Victoria then overground to herne hill and 37...)

lots of choice there.