Car tries to enter the Bishop

Mark

From IC South London

Baby flung into air by crash car Dec 22 2006

By Anna Giokas

A BABY girl had a "miracle" escape after her pushchair was hit by a car and flung through the air across a busy road.

The baby's gran was pushing her across the road when the car smashed into the buggy, throwing it into the air.

The pushchair landed in the road, skidded on to the pavement and came to rest under some tables outside a pub.It was only then that the baby girl inside,who had just a scratch on her cheek, started to cry.

Karen Frances, 46, who saw the accident at the junction of East Dulwich Grove and Lordship Lane in East Dulwich at 3pm on Monday, said: "The car went straight across the road, taking the buggy with it.

"It was horrific, I was standing there thinking this can't be happening.I thought there was no way the baby would survive."

The car,a black Nissan Primera, slammed into the front of The Bishop pub in Lordship Lane as the buggy went under one the tables outside.

Karen, a lettings manager at Wates Residential next to the pub, rushed out to help and was one of the first on the scene.

She said: "There was a young girl who was walking along the road and the car missed her by inches.She picked the baby up out of the buggy and was in such deep shock that she would not let it go.

"I can't believe the baby was unhurt. It was a miracle."

As a crowd gathered, Karen took the girl holding the baby and the baby's gran into her office.

She said: "The grandmother was in extremely deep shock and I thought, I have to get them away from all these people.

"Everyone was crowding around the baby. She was a bit sleepy and had a graze on her face,but otherwise she looked fine."

A helicopter and ambulance were dispatched but stunned paramedics called off the helicopter after realising the infant had no serious injuries.

The driver of the car, a 58-year-old woman, was treated for chest pains and shock. The driver, the grandmother, the young woman who had nearly been hit and the baby were all taken to King's College Hospital, in Denmark Hill, to be checked over.

A police spokesman said the accident was not being investigated as a crime.

It is the second time an accident has happened at the junction. A car mounted the kerb this summer a little further along the road.

The latest crash has prompted calls for the council to make the junction safer.

Lindsay Dilley, who works near by, said: "It was amazing the baby wasn't hurt, but if this happened in the summer when people were sitting outside the pub it would have been devastating.

"The junction is left turn only, local people know that, but the signs are very small and people don't always realise.

"They need to do something before someone is seriously hurt."

The council has responded by saying that it is aware of the problem and is looking into it.

In a statement, a spokesman said: "We have secured funding to investigate improvements to this junction so that it is safer for pedestrians and easier for buses to navigate.

"We will be visiting the site with the police early in the new year.

"Following this visit and an investigation into the causes of the accidents at this junction, we will decide which measures are the most appropriate."

• 3 months later...