Eating out in ED

Lordship Lane and surrounding streets have an abundance of restaurants and cafes. Any tips on best places and ones to avoid.

Best Sunday pub roast?

Best Indian - too many to chose from and easy to go wrong.

Best cooked breakfast?

Any hidden gems?

Please share your local knowledge.

Thanks

surely you mean weatherspoons standard at twice the price? But I agree about the Plough - shockingly bad.

I had coffee and cake in Pretty's on saturday. Lovely staff, but a bit cramped and not good latte or cake. But my partner's cake was delicious so hit and miss I guess.

Franklins good for pretty much anything ditto Palmerston

Swadesh for curries

Best restaurants/pubs:

FAR BETTER : Crooked Well, Gyspy&Angels (Tapas restaurant) in Camberwell

Dulwich: The Rosendale is my favourite but it's West Dulwich, then Palmerston and Franklins

Bishop :ok for burger The actress: really nice pizza but you drink the wine in a glass supposed to receive water...shame!

To avoid:

The Mag (but it seems to close down soon), The Plough, The Dog (Greyhound in the village) (same owner) but the Dog nice for a drink after a walk in the park.

Breakfast/ continental breakfast:

Au ciel in the village for a cake/ Le chandelier/ Franklins.

Indian:

Indian Tandoori or Dulwich Dining Club (Gipsy hill but they deliver in all Dulwich areas)

Really good finest french/Modern european food restaurant without going too far :

"Upstairs" restaurant in Brixton (first floor flat, not adapted with kids, romantic dinner or with friends only)

"The 409 "in Clapham (in front of clapham north station):

Best coffee - The Dish and The Spoon, Cheltenham Road

Best Sunday roast - East Dulwich Tavern (EDT)

Best breakfast - Le Chandalier

Best hot sandwich - the Hot Pork stand entrance to North Cross Rd on Saturday mornings

> Any hidden gems?

>

> Please share your local knowledge.

>

> Thanks

There used to be, but Camberwell is now the place with some surprising finds and often cheaper and better. East Dulwich is now expensive because it's filling up with people with money and that usually = bland offerings from established operators. That said my East Dulwich pick for value is the lunch special at Si Mangia. Salad or garlic bread plus a very decent pasta or pizza for ?5.95 Add some house white and it's about ?8.50

House of Tippler does good food, The Palmerston is the best on LL with Franklins not far behind.

The Draft House does an excellent burger and used to do onglet steak but no more sadly.

Tandoori Nights is my favourite meat Indian, Indian Mischief the best vegetarian, and have heard good things about Curry Cabin surprisingly.

Il Mirto by the station was cheap and cheerful but cramped.

Further afield:

Ganapati in Peckham for some of the better South Indian I've had out of South India; in Camberwell, FM Mangal (Turkish) and Wuli Wuli (Chinese) are as close to the real thing as you'll get nearby.

Mr Lui on LL is in a fantastic location but disappointingly bland Chinglish food.

Looking forward to trying Silk Road, Angels and Gypsies and Crooked Well.

Nearer to home Dulwich Village is a huge disappointment.

Crown and Greyhound in Dulwich Village does an awful roast...overcooked, with soggy roast potatoes and no veg. Not surprised to hear they are owned by same folk who own the Plough. Good places to drink though.

Rocca in Dulwich Village is also disappointing, awful atmosphere and mediocre food.

In short enough in ED and Camberwell is just 10 minutes by bus.

Best Sunday roast: Great Exhibition

Best Indian: Dulwich Tandoori (or Ganapati if extending to Peckham Rye)

Best cooked breakfast: Blue Mountain (but South London Gallery's cafe, No 67 in Camberwell, does the best one of all)

Best croissants and coffee: Luca's(or Anderson & Co on Bellenden Rd if extending to Peckham)

Best pizza: Il Mirto (but even better is Franco Manca in Brixton Village!)

Best for lunch: Blue Mountain, veggie Blue Brick Cafe or Rocca in the village (but Herne Hill's Lido Cafe has a nice vibe and good food)

Best cocktails: House of Tippler

Hidden gems (counting general area here): Review bookshop/Melange/clothes shops on Bellenden Rd; Rye Books; Bussey Building in Peckham; South London Art Map tours (the Peckham one is amazing); Crooked Well; pretty much everything in Brixton Village (but less hidden these days!); Suzanne James's supper club; Canvas & Cream in Forest Hill; Havelock Walk in Forest Hill; all the various SE art studios and their open days, for example Pullens Yards in Elephant; the beautiful Peckham Rye; etc, etc...

This topic has been covered so often on this forum that I'm amazed there's anything still left to say :)

Basically, everybody has different opinions on their favourite restaurants, plus chefs change or are on holiday etc, so it's all a bit pointless.

And to complicate the situation further, there are some restaurants about whom nobody is allowed to post, whether their opinion is good or bad, because the owners have demanded it of Admin.

jrpfinch Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> On second thoughts, I like the Thai place on North

> Cross Road.

Interesting, I found Sema Tha Thai on LL just as good if not better (with a fraction of the hype). A few bits of real stewing beef which beats the kebab-style stuff found everywhere.

Juliette&Rich Wrote:

> Best cooked breakfast?

Just remembered, Blue Brick Cafe on the corner of Shawbury Road caught me by surprise. Vegetarian cafe, but as a confirmed carnivore I left there very satisfied after a fantastic breakfast. Home made bread and baked beans, mushrooms on spinach, good coffee...

Sue Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> This topic has been covered so often on this forum

> that I'm amazed there's anything still left to say

> :)

>

> Basically, everybody has different opinions on

> their favourite restaurants, plus chefs change or

> are on holiday etc, so it's all a bit pointless.

>

> And to complicate the situation further, there are

> some restaurants about whom nobody is allowed to

> post, whether their opinion is good or bad,

> because the owners have demanded it of Admin.

This is risky, but searching google for "big disappointment east dulwich" is revealing

Duplicating the same information on a forum over and over and over again is somewhat more pointless than art, wine or eating out, in my opinion.

But hey, each to their own, maybe a search didn't bring up anything of use :)

People are constantly doing it with hairdressers, as well .....