Empty shops on Lordship Lane

EJTH

See there is building activity in both the vacant shop next to Cafe Nero and where Sally's was. Anyone know what's going into them?

Any ideas on what's happening to the Green & Blue premises or the printing/copying place next to Kaval newsagents? We seem to have quite a few places vacant on the Lane at present.

An Italian Ice-cream place is taking over Sally's (there are multiple threads on this). I've heard the guy's behind Beggin' Bowl on Bellenden Road are negotiating for Green and Blues space but I don't know if they have secured it yet. Not sure about the vacant place next the Cafe Nero. Isn't that were the cannabis farm was?

The drugs bust was above threshers, and the roof is coming away inside. Not sure why there are shops empty in ED. I know the overheads will be high but its such a desirable place to have a business. Must be a sign of the financial situation.

It took us ages to get a shop to rent there.

There have been empty shops on different parts of the lane for a long time - the old off-licence that became Bossman Wines (was it an Unwins?) was empty for ages before being re-used and Threshers has been vacant for a good while now - there can't be that many businesses falling over themselves to pay the astronomical rent being asked.

Anyone know whether the shop next to Wm. Rose has ever been open, I mean ever?*

*Apochryphal stories of mad old ladies that haunt the pace will be disregarded

maritap - I've only been here for 10 years, but I heard than an elderly lady lives in the premises next to WR, and is not interested in selling. So that's that.

Ever since I've been here, there has always been at least a couple of empty shops along Lordship Lane at any time. They will become occupied sooner or later, and others will become vacant.

Yes, I've heard the building where the cannabis farm was is also owned by some old guy who refuses to lease the place to anyone who won't live above it or something weird which is why its remained vacant. There is tons of demand from businesses who want to open but that doesn't mean they will all be a hit. Some will fail and new ones will replace them- it happens all the time. It's not a sign of anything except that not every business is well run / viable / tastes change and that our economy is capitalist!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 years later...

natty01295 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> FRENCH CAFE ON LORDSHIP LANE - **** SHUTDOWN ****

> http://www.thefrenchhouse.co

I noticed they had a for sale sign up a few days ago with a flat above.

Funnily enough I was never tempted to go in there as it always looked a bit dark and lacking in atmosphere.

but still its sad to see any buisness close