The Forum at the Fair Sunday 13 May (updated)

Mark

(updated)

Hi

For the Dulwich Festival Fair on Goose Green on Sunday 13 May the East Dulwich Forum would like to have an area where people can sit, chat and relax. This forum runs on nothing but love, your love. OK, technically that's not quite true but you know what I mean, we took sponsors on a couple of weeks ago but they cover the cost of the computer server hosting. It would be fantastic if people could offer something, so if you have an idea of how the Forum could be re-created on Goose Green please let me know.

(added 08 April)

Thanks for all the offers. The pitch is available so I reckon we have something viable, a place to gather, have a chat, gossip etc and hang out (especially useful if it rains).

We need:

- One or maybe two gazebos (?80 each)

- Some seating (mockney's sofa & my sofa)

- More Seats/seating/straw bales and a way of making sure they don't get nicked

- Some flooring perhaps as if the floors damp people can sit on and chair legs don't go straight into the ground

- Pallettes to put the sofa's on and lift off the ground in case it rains

- Some covers/throws that can get dirty to put on the sofas

- A couple of signs - I'm thinking of slicing up some 8x4 MDF and painting it (Any sign writers or steady handed people out there?)

- Some notice boards where people can put up their Wanted, offered & recommendations and What's on in East Dulwich

- A trestle table (I can hire one from the organiser)

- Help putting it up and taking it down

OK, how to collect the kind donations to purchase the tents...

Mockney will do a whip round at the CPT this Friday (see this thread). Perhaps someone knows someone who works in a shop on Lordship lane where people can drop by and put some cash in a tin. After the event I will sell the marquee and give the proceeds to a local charity.

Your thoughts...

Thanks

Mark

More details on the Fair can be found on the website http://www.festivalfair.co.uk/

Will you have a drunk sniping area? Maybe arm-wrestling to finally decide whether house price rises are a good or bad thing? Jousting by the big chains to decide who shall be allowed to set up on Lordship Lane and you need a throne so you can be crowned the benign Goose King of ED.

We have camping chairs but no marquee, actually I think my ma and pa might have one still, not huge and not strictly a marquee, more like a gazeebo, is that the word? If I was good and it wasn't late I'd find a pic and post it. It's stripy! I'll see if it's available.

what about this one? The Party Gazebo Complete with Side Panels.

http://www.argos.co.uk/wcsstore/argos/images/6501479A61UC52080X.jpg

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/6501479/Trail/C%24cip%3D49998.DIY%2C%2Bgarden%2Band%2Bcar%3EC%24cip%3D49999.Garden%2Bfurniture%3EC%24cip%3D50000.Gazebos%2Band%2Bgarden%2Bawnings.htm

6m x 3m ?70 - Put Mockney's sofa in there, some chairs, Can anyone offer any more seating?

Maybe two of them together to make a proper area...

Oh, I can feel a plan coming on....

I'll give ?5. Where are other people taking part in the fair getting their marquees from? The organisers might have a special deal with a marquee company.

Mark - thinking very far ahead: if it goes well and you want to do it again next year, you could probably get a grant from the council in those awards they give for improving play areas, supporting street parties etc (it might be the Cleaner/Greener/Neighbourhood awards - I have the details if you need them this time next year (all the money has already been awarded this year).

I'll chip in with a fiver.

The Tesco one looks not bad, and there's some wall space there to hang paper/posters from (so all info can go on the walls rather than on a table or whatever). So not just shelter from the sun/rain. Will anyone be able to store it for next year?

This will be the first time in yonks that I'll be here for the festival (abroad 91-99, in Brighton after that, then always away because it's my birthday and went to see my mum). But this year I'm staying in ED and having an ED birthday with festival. Nice.

Equally will chip in with some dosh. We have two camping chairs and two small stools to lend. Have we decided what 'events' the EDF will display? I saw a brilliant thing at Fruitstock last summer - a human fruit machine.

Thanks for all the offers. I'm waiting to hear back if the pitch is still available but if it is I reckon we have something viable. We can have a place to gather, have a chat, gossip etc and hang out (especially useful if it rains).

We need:

- Two gazebos (?160 for both)

- Cost of pitch (?)

- Some seating (mockney's sofa & my sofa)

- More Seats/seating/straw bales and a way of making sure they don't get nicked

- Some flooring perhaps as if the floors damp people can sit on and chair legs don't go straight into the ground

- Pallettes to put the sofa's on and lift off the ground in case it rains

- Some covers/throws that can get dirty to put on the sofas

- A couple of signs - I'm thinking of slicing up some 8x4 MDF and painting it (Any sign writers or steady handed people out there?)

- Some notice boards where people can put up their Wanted, offered & recommendations and What's on in East Dulwich

- A trestle table (I can hire one from the organiser)

- Help putting it up and taking it down

OK, how to collect the kind donations to purchase the tents... perhaps someone knows someone who works in a shop on Lordship lane where people can drop by and put some cash in a tin. At the next forum meet-up could someone kindly do a whipround, preferably when after the drinks have been flowing and therefore the generosity. After the event I will sell the marquee and give the proceeds to a local charity.

Your thoughts...