Trains from london bridge

Hi, no doubt I am we'll and truly behind the times but I heard an announcement this morning at london bridge that platforms 14-16 at some point in may will no longer in use. Assume we will still have the same trains available just at different platforms? Does anyone know? Thanks x

Plenty of people really Do Not Like the Shard and the background to it?s development but if ever an area of London was ripe for a complete reboot it was that whole grim block around LB station. Every time I use the station now, even in it?s current half-finished state I much prefer it, and the area around it to what was there before

With the new platforms, there may be an opportunity to campaign for an extension to ED trains (through to Waterloo and Charing Cross). Does anyone know if anything is already underway? Are Southwark Council using their influence? Seems to me that it is a lot more likely / feasible than a Bakerloo line extension.

Nice idea rahrahrah. One of the overall goals of the London Bridge redevelopment is to allow more through trains to Charing Cross, but I don't know whether services from ED will be extended in this way...the pessimist in me expects that we will be overlooked in favour of services from Kent and the New Cross line, as usual. Still, as you say this might be the moment to get some campaigning in!

It says in the press releases very clearly that services from Charing Cross will not call at LB from January 2015. I'll eat my hat if they ever reinstate them. This would be a great opportunity for Local councillors James Barber and Renata Hamvas to go after in local coalition for their constituents.

neilson99 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> It says in the press releases very clearly that

> services from Charing Cross will not call at LB

> from January 2015. I'll eat my hat if they ever

> reinstate them. This would be a great opportunity

> for Local councillors James Barber and Renata

> Hamvas to go after in local coalition for their

> constituents.

As part of the station upgrade works, no trains will be able to call at London Bridge for Charing Cross for a year, followed by a year of no trains to Cannon Street.

I doubt Southern will ever return to Charing Cross as they simply don't have the slots since Southeastern required all of them after HS1 opened.

It'll all be worth it once the new London Bridge station opens as the Charing Cross and Thameslink platforms will be totally separate.

I'm sure when we get closer to the time, arrangements should be put in place for Southern tickets to be valid on the Jubilee line to Southwark (for Waterloo East), Waterloo and connections to Charing Cross.

Not sure why having totally separate platforms is worth 2 years whole years of disruption, half of south London and Kent has managed for the last oh say 70 years? I can work out to get to work without the LB Charing Cross service, it's just longer and more expensive but hey we're just customers so why would that bother network rail/southern etc?!

hi neilson99,

I think the idea is that not sharing platforms will stop them being interdependent.

When one has delays it causes delays on the others. So overall capacity for each route should be a lot higher and the cobimned capacities a lot higher.

The forecast is for hugely more passenger numbers.

Network Rail's London Bridge rebuild fortune cookies promise that they can;t have delay of over 15minutes otherwise the platforms will be dangerously over crowded. Brave assumption.

Strawbs Wrote:

> thanks all! I look foward to the mayhem (NOT!) x

I am actually quite impressed how little disruption all of the LB redevelopment work has caused so far given how much they've changed. Or maybe I was just lucky when I came through LB.

neilson99 Wrote:

> Not sure why having totally separate platforms is

> worth 2 years whole years of disruption, half of

> south London and Kent has managed for the last oh

> say 70 years? I can work out to get to work

> without the LB Charing Cross service, it's just

> longer and more expensive but hey we're just

> customers so why would that bother network

> rail/southern etc?!

When Thameslink's upgrade is complete, London Bridge is going to be even more busier than it is now, with more services coming in. With this in mind, the track has to be separate so that Thameslink and Southeastern can operate independently of each other.

Currently, Thameslink (FCC) and Southeastern services to Charing Cross all share Platform 6. This is no longer practical as this causes services to be delayed as all services have to queue up for platform space. It is possible for services to be diverted into Platform 5, but then this causes disruption for Kent bound services from Charing Cross and Thameslink services to Brighton.

No access to the footbridge from platform 13 this morning, now that is going to be a total piss ass for me, in the morning so not bad but in the PM when I am doing the race home to nursery that extra few mins will be the difference between making the train and not.. Moan over as its not going to make a lot of difference to the situation!

Quite so Strawbs. To add insult to injury you have to wade through a few reservoirs whenever it has been raining, both down platform 13 and then back along platform 12 to the stairs!

Still, at least the problem will go away completely when the LB to Charing Cross service is cancelled!

Happy days! Thanks network rail!

neilson99 Wrote:

> you have to wade through a few reservoirs whenever it has been raining

Inch deep puddles on the platform have been a problem for ages. It seems to still be happening, despite the new shelters. Really hope they sort this out, fed up of filthy water seeping into my shoes.

• 2 weeks later...