116 Lordhip Lane

Guest SeanMacGabhann

The largeish building next to Thoma More Hall - yellow planning notices outside stating a conversion from "light-industrial" to "retail"

So what's that gonna be then?

I phoned the council planning department on this as I too was intrigued and the lady said the layout of the proposed store looked very much like a supermarket...if this does go through it would have to be a big name I think as the site looks pretty huge.

We may just yet get a Waitrose or M&S!

Yes, it's a "change of use" application from "light industrial" to "retail, A2". A2 refers to businesses such as financial services etc, NOT sale of food or clothing etc. If M&$ wanted it they would be applying for a change of use to A1. It's not M&S.

In 2005 planning was granted to make the building into a gym type complex. In 2006 planning was applied to turn the ground floor and basement from light industrial into financial / retail units and to develop the upper stories into what sounds like 'luxury' flats (lots of glass, balconies etc). The applicant isn't listed and is represented by an agent.

You can see all details on the Southwark planning site.

Once local, organic, independently owned shop created, said movement could seek revenge against other London locales in the cruelest way possible....

....The creation of an unholy and faceless retails chain which would begin in ED and then callously invade areas such as Fulham, Putney, Clapham, Islington, Shepherd's bush, Hampstead, Cricklewood with the promise of stealing and sullying the 'souls' of such communities with replicated retail experiences, carbon-friendly business practices and fair-trade titillation, sparking uproar in local online discussion and news forums......

I for one am fed-up with all these poncey organic sex shops, pushing-out the established sex shops that us locals were more than happy with for years. Pah!

• 2 weeks later...

James Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> OK, how about we start a vote for whether we want

> it to be:

>

> 1) An M&S Simply Food

> 2) Waitrose

> 3) Fresh & Wild (I'm dreaming now)

Another surrender to the tastes and lifestyles of the new affluent ED "immigrants" NO to all three chices . Lets have a community centre.

Huguenot Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Exactly. And we shoulf fill it with litter and

> people with no ambition ;-)

Yes , I can tell you have a heart of gold.