Instead of a White Stuff in ED, I'd like to see...

Ooh, ooh, oooh! I have just finished reading Wednesday's Times (yes, I'm a bit behind on my media-surfing! It's the school holidays, that's my excuse.) AND there is an article by Anne Ashworth in T2 about White Stuff (sub titled 'Bankers seem tempted by White Stuff but AA queries its investment'). I quote:-

"The dreariness ran counter not only to the chain's vision of itself, but also to the high opinion that some friends have of its offerings; one woman can barely wait for the June opening of the branch in East Dulwich, South London; she thinks White Stuff is ideal for thirtysomething mothers who work from home."

Wow! Spot on! Dreary, thirty-something, bankers - Excellent analysis.

IMHO White Stuff = Fat Face = Jack Wills = Crew Clothing. They all make non-threatening pastel hoodies for nice people! Which is lovely, but we can just order over the internet!

Instead of a (boring?) White Stuff, I'd like to have ......a branch of Agent Provacateur! Much more fun for everyone I think!

spymum

(Blog: Posh Mum)

Hmm, I agree with the analysis of White Stuff and its customers, but Spymum, I think you're just being provocative with your suggestion of an alternative...

It would be genuinely useful to have a clothes shop on Lordship Lane, as the stuff in Ed just doesn't do it for me. Then again, I'm not in a position to spend as much on clothes as I used to, and don't actually need that many anyway. One thing that bugs me is there are not really any ethical AND tasteful/fashionable clothes stores or brands. Edun and People Tree are expensive and look like they're for commited hippies only, the type of people who can run boardroom meetings in their pyjamas. And all the mid-market brands, from Next to M&S, Gap, French Connection, etc - all might have one or two specific items that are Fairtrade and/or organic, but most of their stock is 'normal' and just means you're paying far more than you would in H&M, Gap, Primark - but with no guarantee that the materials or manufacturing have been any more ethical. (And I don't think that membership of the ETI can be relied upon for a clear shopping conscience.)

So, a real ethical clothes shop on Lordship Lane, selling affordable and stylish clothes for real people (not just Claphamites or hippies) would be most welcome in my opinion. Any other takers?

Tough one, Marauder. I've been scratching my head and I can't think of any ethical clothes manufacturers/designers (except for Katherine Hamnett 100 years ago with her '98% don't want Pershing'). Clothing isn't a very ethical industry, clearly!

Oh well! At least frilly knick-knacks aren't 'dreary'!

spymum

(Blog: Posh Mum)

The Whitestuff defo happening. Shopfitters start on Walshes on tuesday so Im told. It seems the delay was also due to the fact that a structural wall had not been built to spec but has been rectified now.

Dulwichmum, I would love a starbucks too on the main road.

So what about the commercial unit beneath the new block of flats from the station?? Still no confirmation???

Now now, Northcoat Road in Clapham has a White Stuff and God knows that area has disappeared up it's own bottom hole.

Please, please, please do not let ED become an extention of that SW area. We are South East Londoners and do not need a boring white middle class clothing outlet.....as to what could go there, well I don't know...an independant music store?

Oh Goodness how exciting!!! My other half has wanted to open a music store for ages to make a stand against the digital age and the almost extinct record/vinyl store ......shame property prices in LL are ridiculous......maybe we could open up a record shop from the back of a lorry parked in LL! When you've got the big boys in the market for property like M&S and White Stuff, how does one person with a passion for music ever stand a chance?

The majority of the suggestions of what people want to see on the highstreet fill me with cold fear, (a starbucks? are you all mad? How much more caffiene does the highstreet need? With the addition of Nero, there are now plenty of places to get good coffee, why spoil it with yet another example of the anti-christ's tea room?)

The best suggestion so far has to be an independant music / record shop.

(Madworld; i too have been pondering this idea, maybe your other half and myself could discuss further?)

A John Lewis? You are all mad!!!

I'm not knocking John Lewis, it is a quality store.

But as it is a department store, (huge, large range of all sorts of things, many floors etc...) how would an small express version work? What 'essentials' could it possibly offer that can't be found locally already?

Uh, how about good and inexpensive cotton knickers?? Socks?? You know, exciting everyday goods that don't cost the earth and that even Farmers don't stock. Yes, I know some people are dying for yet another independent store where you can spend ?20 on a cupcake tin but I really would like somewhere I can get some socks.