Good streets to live/buy in?

We are moving with our 1-year old daughter. We looked around Forest Hill and Honor Oak but despite the door to door salesmen and witchcraft in the park, we much prefer ED. However, we don't know the area that well and would be grateful for any advice about where to buy, where not to buy. We are about to offer on a house in Henslowe Road. Is this considered an OK bit of ED?

Dear Michelle,

With a one year old poppet in your Bugaboo, you must consider school catchment! If you are in a position to consider the fine independent schools of the locality (approximately 10K per annum) - that is a separate issue, but if not, school catchment must be your primary consideration!

DM

DM is giving you very sound advice - find your list of preferred schools then work out which streets closest to those schools meet your requirements with regards to number of beds, need for a garden etc.

If independent schools are your choice (10k per annum but rising fast) then consider your other needs first.

Sorry but I don't know Henslowe Road very well but I am sure some of the other forum members have some info.

Also be aware though, that the Government has started trialing a new system for school admissions, based on a random allocation of places to all children that fall within the total catchment area. This means that living right next to the school will no longer provide any preference over any other road within the catchment area. I believe this system is being trialled in Brighton and maybe a couple of other places at the moment, obviously to great furore all round.

Basically, it means you have to be wary of paying way over the odds for a 'guaranteed' place that may turn out to be nothing of the sort. BBC article about the scheme here:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/6403017.stm

Dear Bald Marauder,

Perhaps I am naive, but I can't honastly see this coming to pass as a national strategy. It would cause an insurection - don't you think? My children go to independent schools, so catchment area is not an issue - this is just an observation. So many very affluent people live in the Village for example - purely for school catchment. Would it not be potential political suicide for the government to try to inforce this nationally? I would imagine that people would stop voting labour in droves?

Well, it's happened in Brighton already! And there has been alot of protests but it has also had alot of support from people as well.

But it will only affect those terribly over-subscribed schools - probably in East Dulwich it would affect Goodrich and Dog Kennel Hill if it will be brought in for primary schools. Althought someone I know said it would only affect secondary schools.

However, I think most primary schools in East Dulwich are ok now - I think Henslowe Road is near Heber which has become quite popular and I heard that Heber is doing really well now.

Scruffy Mummy

http://www.scruffymummy.blogspot.com

Hi there lovely Scruffymummy,

I personally would love to see this come to pass. We live on the wrong side of the road, with regard to catchment for the Village Infants, and the school we are in the catchment area for was 'failing' according to the Ofstead report the last time I looked. I think it is highly unfair that as tax payers we do not all have a fair and equal chance to secure a place in a good local state school.

In reply to the original post and school catchement area aside, I was told by an estate agent that most people come in when buying and ask to be as near to Northcross road as possible (I think because people like the idea of falling out of bed and having the market and shops on their doorstep), So Henslow is not too bad being a massive 5 minute walk away.

Don't know much about Henslowe Road myself but I see it's very close to Peckham Rye which is very a great park to be close too. I'd suggest having a wander round the streets one day and seeing what you which you like, perhaps knock on a couple of doors and ask people what they think of the area, I did when I was looking to buy and it helped me decide.

When we bought here, we were initally looking "as near to LL and the station as possible" (on the basis that anything more than a 5 minute walk to the station or shops would be nothing short of a disaster). But we ended-up in the Henslowe vicinity and can recommend it.

Being closer to Peckham Rye (but still an easy walk to ED) gives you better transport options. The Rye itself is great, with the Clockhouse and The Herne babyfest-eaterie there too. Parking isn't the nightmare it can be in other parts of ED and the streets are quieter, getting less through traffic. And although it's a (slightly) longer walk to LL, it is a much nicer way of getting there - North Cross Road is a nice street to walk down, even if the stuff for sale is a bit yawnworthy.

So I think you get all the good stuff of LL with some extra benefits on top.

You might find it a bit cheaper in Upper East Dulwich (I just made that up. It could well stick.) By that I mean past Townley Road. The transport options are more limited, as it is at least a 20 min walk to ED Station, or a bus (of which there are plenty) but it is nearer to the library, Dulwich Park and is quieter and away from the main drag. Also, Heber and Goodrich Schools are there and are good, especially the latter. Nero

thanks everyone. We salute kingtubby for getting the conversation back on the original question. All of this information is great. i think the existence of this forum may seal the deal. We are making the offer tomorrow. blimey I hope the vendors aren't on this site.....!

Depends what you are looking for.

If you're single or a couple who's only interested in bars, pubs and a bit of food, then that grid of roads right off Lordship Lane might attract.

If you're a family who wants to get away from the bustle and parking problems nearer Lordship Lane, smallish houses and small gardens, then the roads further up the hill might appeal, such as Friern, Underhill, and Upland. These have much larger plots and are geared towards bigger families.

On the subject of transport, East Dulwich Station is not the be-all and end-all of transport in this area. Its only useful if you want to get to London Bridge or if you work in the City. I personally find Peckham Rye Station far better in term s of options, as you have trains going to Victoria, London Bridge and Blackfriars. From where I live, this station is a maximum of 10 minutes away on the no.12 bus.

If you aren't lazy, Lordship Lane is a maximum 15-20 minutes walk away from these "remoter" streets, probably even less if you happen to do any sort of exercise and are fitter.

Nero Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> You might find it a bit cheaper in Upper East

> Dulwich (I just made that up. It could well

> stick.)

Yes, the Upper East Side :)

That's where I am. Great views, very near Dulwich Park, nearish for Peckham Rye Park, near the best library, only 10 mins walk to William Rose and Moxton's.

Transport options include Forest Hill (by bus), which takes you to Victoria as well as London Bridge. There's also a branch of Lloyds Bank locally, plus a (sub) post office, dry cleaners, DIY store and so on. There's never a problem parking in this street.

Louisiana

By that I mean past Townley Road. The

> transport options are more limited, as it is at

> least a 20 min walk to ED Station, or a bus (of

> which there are plenty) but it is nearer to the

> library, Dulwich Park and is quieter and away from

> the main drag. Also, Heber and Goodrich Schools

> are there and are good, especially the latter.

> Nero

Thanks again for the comments. We are new to all this school malarky. School place lottery aside, does anybody know how I can find out if Henslowe is definitely in the catchment for Goodridge? Can I just ring the school?(attached browser address for map this time).

Also, I see the Dog Kennel last Ofsted report was really good. If we bought in SE15 on a street nearby are we in the catchment area even though we live in a different postcode?

I need a school catchment consultant...do they exist or is this a gap in the market!

http://maps.google.com/?q=Henslowe+Rd,+London,+Greater+London,+SE22,+UK&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=33.901528,81.738281&ie=UTF8&z=16&ll=51.455946,-0.06727&spn=0.006511,0.019956&om=1&iwloc=addr

I believe you are in the catachment area for Heber (but don't take my word - ring the school) - according to a previous thread, this school is currently one of the most popular schools after Goodrich - as Goodrich is so over-subscribed and some people say over-hyped but I don't know about that really. Besides, your daughter is only 1 year old and if they do bring in lotteries for primary school places, you could find you've made a very expensive mistake trying to buy into a school nearby. Plus in 4 years time, what was a great school could change - I hear the head is leaving Dog Kennel Hill soon. Both Goodrich and Dog Kennel Hill take from such a small catchment area anyway you'd be chancing it. Heber is on a school that is on the way up - so things are looking good.

Maybe because:

a) St Anthony's is over-subscribed as well with real (and fake) catholics from near and far queing up to send their kids there and

b) Because some of us don't want lie about believing in the holy trinity and go to mass (which is how in effect you need to get in with Fr O'Connor) and teach our kids it's ok to be a hypocrite!

St Anthony's is gob-smackingly overly Catholic. For a, very big and pretty insurmountable start, you have to demonstrate that you are a practising Catholic. I'm horrified that the state pays for exclusive and religious schools. I don't want to be greasing up to a Friar to secure a place at the school closest to my house.

We've just been through the schools admissions rigmarole and as far as I can see our options are pretty limited but pretty ok. There's the village schools with excellent ofsted reports but a worryingly limited social range of pupils and there's Goodrich - long standing "good" local reputation but big and reputedly in decline (though I'm not convinced) and Heber long standing poor reputation but recent excellent reputation (amongst parents who've sent their kids their recently) and which is much smaller than Goodrich.

Really, I'd be happy with any of them and I don't think school is the only place you learn (though, of course, its extremely important.)

I'm also hoping that with the surreptitious sending of 3 and 4 year old kids to private schools for testing and grading I've seen amongst parents of my children's peers we'll see a clearing up of places in the state sector. If you've got to be utterly loaded to live in ED maybe they'll panic and send their children to fee paying schools.

I'm not convinced the children of the over-worked and cash-hungry consumer happy clan are the best company. Playground chats about the excellent rise in house prices and the best place to get your super snazzy flim flam trainers aren't what I want for my children.

If you read this forum too much, you may be forgiven for thinking that many EDites have an unhealthy obsession with money (theirs) and the ways to spend it.

I'm not at all convinced that's the case. I think its a lovely place to live and there's a good sense of community. We've an annoying council but an active local councillor (Richard Thomas). I also think, in answer to your original post that pretty much all of ED has much to recommend it.

bawdy-nan Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> St Anthony's is gob-smackingly overly Catholic.

> For a, very big and pretty insurmountable start,

> you have to demonstrate that you are a practising

> Catholic.

That's why its called a Catholic faith school, bawdy-nan. No one is forcing you to send your kid/s there. ;-)

The problem I have school-wise with ED is that while everyone has fairly good things to say about the primary schools, it seems to fall far short on decent secondary schools, unless you happen to have ?20,000 or more to send your children to Dulwich College, JAGS, or Allens.

Quite a few people I've spoken to recently have considered relocating to Sutton, which has some quality grammar and secondary schools. Then again, Sutton, Wallington, etc aren't trendy ED!