New Cinema for Lordship lane?

Just saw this on the Thomas Moore RC Parish website. A new use for the old Irish center?

PARISH MEETING 7.30-830pm 12 JULY 2013 AT THE JOHN PAUL CENTRE RE THE ST THOMAS MORE

HALL

NOTES

The meeting opened with a prayer and was attended by approximately 30 parishioners.

Fr Gerry introduced Theresa Blythin, the parish administrator and Jonathan Palmer who had been

the project manager. Theresa explained her involvement in the project.

Fr Gerry explained why he had called the meeting. The St Thomas More Hall is a parish asset and we

have now reached the stage where, as a parish, we should discuss its future. A report on progress so

far had been produced and the focus for the meeting was the content of the report and in particular

the conclusions. (Copies of the report which is on the parish website, were made available.)

Fr Gerry invited questions from the floor:

A question was asked about ownership ? ie, does the building belong to the parish or the diocese?

Fr Gerry confirmed that in a meeting with the Assistant Financial Secretary it was clearly stated that,

although the hall is in the ownership of the Trustees, should the hall be leased or sold, the funds

would come to the parish.

It was asked how much the building is worth. Jonathan was able to say that it had been valued by a

commercial agent at ?1.25m.

A parishioner commented that she felt that the church should have a visible presence in the

community and as Pope Francis encourages, be prepared to go outside of its comfort zone. Her

suggestion was for a foodbank. It was also felt that it would be even more desirable to engage

ecumenically in such a project.

Dena Blakeman introduced herself as representing Picturehouse Cinemas Ltd. She is also a

parishioner. Her company had a viable offer on the table. She explained the range of cinematic

entertainment that the company would be offering to a variety of age groups. There was

considerable support for this option. One parishioner thought that this would be particularly

beneficial for teenagers.

There was a general discussion about facilities within the community ? one person asked where the

Cubs and Scouts meet (at present they meet in the school). A lack of facility for receptions for

baptisms, funerals and weddings was also mentioned.

It was also asked if we sold the property, would we get enough money to extend the church, should

we so wish?

Overall there was a consensus for retaining the building and finding a suitable tenant, and of the

current options, the meeting favoured the cinema proposal.

Theresa Blythin

12/7/13

Looks interesting

There was during the Second World War a Cinema show in the Salvation Army Hall in Shawbury Road, it was silent and often broke down, we were seated on long forms and had arrived on our home made wooden scooters, with ball race wheels, and an array of metal bottle tops nailed to the front.

We were charged the princely sum of one old Penny and loved the show and howled at the antics of the actors, we enjoyed this attraction to our otherwise fearful life.

A Cinema could be an attraction to the area again in the Thomas Hall.

BUT.

If the show is in the hall as it is, the entry fee can only be compatible to the surroundings.

Any money spent on having the hall refurbished, and plush seating provided will never be recovered from the patrons entry fee.

The building belongs to the Parish only in the hands of Executors, to use for the benefit of those.

Should a Cinema Company try to make it a profitable project, the entry fee will be very high and not attract many who could use it unchanged.

I wish it well but do not foresee a future.

computedshorty - any site Picturehouse take over will have a fairly plush refurb and this will be reflected in the ticket price (around ?10). But they're pretty established now with around 20 sites, so I'd be inclined to trust them if they think the numbers add up.

Yes. A Dulwich Picturehouse would be great wouldn't it?? No one would lose out! And everyone in the community would benefit having a reputable and respected cinema chain that's already a success all over the UK. Just think about it...

Saturday Morning Picture Show programmes for little kids, Slacker Clubs for teenagers, Silver Screen for pensioners with free tea snd biscuit and good, quality films for the rest of us Dulwich lot...not forgetting the great Sky Arts,Opera, Theatre, Museum films Picturehouse Cinemas now put out...fingers crossed! I would never leave East Dulwich either!!

Ha, ha...too true..but great to have the arthouse option isn't it? And different programmes for the whole community?...Also,much better than having a tacky old multiplex stinking of rotten popcorn and the rest..

The Ritzy is one of the main things I miss about living in Herne Hill (that and Brockwell Park, the gym, lido etc), obviously it's a mere 37 bus ride away but it's a pity it's not closer.

I'd love to have another Picturehouse in the area, I've been to quite a few and they're always excellent relaxing places to go and see a movie :-)

I wouldn't call The Ritzy an excellent reaxing place to watch a movie, it's nothing but chaos in there whenever i've been, never had a pleasant experience in there to be honest. The Greenwich picture house, now there's a nice relaxing place to watch a movie, so much better in everyway.

db1066 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Ha, ha...too true..but great to have the arthouse

> option isn't it? And different programmes for the

> whole community?...Also,much better than having a

> tacky old multiplex stinking of rotten popcorn and

> the rest..

With you all the way.

Me'mate'Dave Wrote:

> I wouldn't call The Ritzy an excellent reaxing

> place to watch a movie, it's nothing but chaos in

> there whenever i've been, never had a pleasant

> experience in there to be honest. The Greenwich

> picture house, now there's a nice relaxing place

> to watch a movie, so much better in everyway.

xxxxx

I love the Ritzy!

Greenwich is far harder to get to than Brixton from here, plus if memory serves its ticket prices are much higher than the Ritzy, though that may have changed.

Me'mate'Dave Wrote:

> I wouldn't call The Ritzy an excellent reaxing

> place to watch a movie, it's nothing but chaos in

> there whenever i've been, never had a pleasant

> experience in there to be honest. The Greenwich

> picture house, now there's a nice relaxing place

> to watch a movie, so much better in everyway.

we go to the Ritzy at least once a month, the service is never that fast and it's always busy... but still, on the whole I find the experience rather chilled... maybe it's the nice atmosphere, the friendly staff, the comfy seats, the fact you can take your drinks in... or a combination of all of those factors?

I've been to the Greenwhich Picturehouse, it's lovely, quite large. Saw 'Side Effects' on the small screen in the basement... we had our own bar, it was great!