Sunday Assembly for South London?

I see there are proposals to launch The Sunday Assembly in South London in November - see http://sundayassemblycrystalpalace-eac2.eventbrite.co.uk/ intended to cover the Dulwich/Crystal Palace/Brixton/Streatham catchment. Is the Dulwich population ready for this kind of thing? http://sundayassembly.com/

Today's FT Mag gives a flavour of one held in Edinburgh: http://www.ft.com/cms/s/2/9229a7b8-0abd-11e3-aeab-00144feabdc0.html#axzz2ctuTsr9X

Sunday Assembly was started by comedians and I don't get the impression that is is going to be dry sermons and godless hymns - I am going to make my first trip on Sunday to York Hall for their monthly event. If its not your thing, its not your thing but personally I quite welcome the community that churches and religious gatherings create but as I don't have any belief in God whatsoever, I feel excluded from such events. An opportunity to meet with other likeminded atheists is a real welcome opportunity and I am really looking forward to the event.

https://www.facebook.com/events/498638493554720/

Assuming the event lives up to my expectations, I'd welcome a more south London centric gathering :-)

Incidentally, if anyone does fancy joining in on Sunday, I'm a bit nervous (not sure that's quite the right word?) about going on my own so I'd happily meet up with anyone in ED that fancied going together/as a group... Just inbox me :-)

Oh erm, well. Yeh, about that. I couldn't get my butt out of bed in time. I hate myself, I didn't go :-(

It turns out that it isn't only the religious content that keeps me from attending church on a Sunday morning, its also the Sunday morning part.

However, if I had only had to trek to Crystal Palace and not Bethnel Green...who knowns, I may well have made it.

I do however have every intention of attending the next event at Conway Hall near Holborn which will be easier to get to. They are going to be holding meetings fortnightly from now on...the notice on facebook reads:

Some things that were mentioned yesterday in our notices:

1) We are aiming to be fortnightly in London

2) We are moving to Conway Hall. We will be there from September 15th.

3) Smoups (Small Groups) are starting from October. If you would like to join a peer-to-peer support/social group, email [email protected]

4) Age of Reason, the Sunday Assembly Philosophy club starts up again on the... 18th of September at the Camden Head in Angel. The speaker is Dr. Andy Denis, an expert in the history of economic philosophy. 7pm.

5) If you would like to join the choir, meeting every Wednesday, either to perform or just for a good old sing, email Emma on [email protected]

• 3 weeks later...

Just noticed this and wonder how the organisers expect people from ED to get there. Apart from rubbish public transport links to Crystal Palace, this is on a Saturday. Has anyone tried to drive round the Triangle on a Saturday, especially if there's a CPFC match on?

Looks like the organisers expect to utilise the shoppers' car park for their congregants/gatherers, putting them in direct conflict with patrons of the Triangle and the congregant/gatherers of the Greek Orthodox Church, the Salvation Army, the Methodist Church and the Celestial Church of God. Bloody hell.

Huggers Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> how about the east london line back to Surrey

> QUAYS from P Rye and change for Crystal Palace?

No thanks. I'm not prepared to give up two hours of the weekend commuting 4k.

That journey would begin with a walk or bus ride to ED train station followed by two trains, then a 20 minute uphill walk or bus ride to the venue from CP train station.

A distance of approx 4k would take over an hour on public transport and that estimation does not include the delays caused by traffic. I'd get on my bike if I had one, if it weren't all uphill from here, which is why I think most people travelling from ED would come by car.

Is the Sunday Assembly a way for atheists to get in on the cult scene or are they simply lost in Disneyland?

Chick Pea. This is an assembly for South London. When the organisers thought of Crystal Palace, I doubt they stopped to think...hang on a sec, how specifically are Dulwichians going to get here?

If you don't want to go, don't go. I'd suggest the main London Assemblies now at Conway Hall nr Holborn might be easier to get to but your last comment appears a bit offensive about the whole thing so perhaps you should be an atheist at home rather than joining in a group assuming to bring likeminded people together and create new community spirit

'New community spirit'.....hmmm..... it may well work for some, but the idea of organised atheism nearly turns me off as much as organised religion. I'd rather spend my down time with friends of my own choosing TBH, but each to their own - I am sure it will floats some people's boats.

I do have a view on the event being held in the Phoenix Centre on CP triangle though. A one time ED dweller I now live in CP and the triangle is chocker at the best of times traffic/parking wise. If an event like this takes off I hope they find another location as the immediate area won't be able to cope.

I think the organisers of this rapidly growing movement need to grow broader shoulders if they are going to take offence with comparisons of their movement to cults or Disney.

Community spirit is alive and kicking round here by the way, along with regular meetings of like minded people in a variety of non religious/political formats ie dinner table, pub, cinema, theatre, sports field etc .

I can see that this movement offers a "new community spirit" for those unable to find it within their existing friends and family networks or those who fancy the idea of being part of a massive, noisy, gang.

As this movement does attract large audiences then I would have thought an event aimed at the whole of South London would be much better located than Crystal Palace which is a mare to get to at the best of times and has congested one way system with inadequate parking. Good luck with the locals who have been campaigning against a gathering of the religious kind with the same catchment as this due to negative impact of traffic and parking.

I'm not an organiser, I just find your comments unnecessary, if you don't want to be involved, don't be involved.

Personally I love the community round here, it's just another interest group that's all, like the pub, curry club or wi. Please live and let live. If your comments had been directed at a new mosque, temple or church then they would not be acceptable, I don't see why they should therefore be accepted in relation to an atheist gathering.

It's a first meeting, there might only be 15 people attend in which case parking concerns are a little irrelevant at this stage, I'm sure should a football spectator size crowd start to attend, any such location issues would be addressed.

I absolutely refute the suggestion that people can't comment in a negative way about a big event coming to their local area - or a church/mosque for that matter. Some people will be delighted with the prospect, some people won't. That's life. On a local forum it is a bit daft to say that only supportive comments are allowed.

I won't be going, I will be with friends in a local pub. My own little 'community' if you like (god, I hate that word). As I said previously, with any luck they will push off to a bigger/more suitable venue for this community hug. Fairfield Halls?

I wasn't trying to get into some great theological argument about free speech, I just really meant that church, mosque or any other interest group wouldn't be something I would need to comment on if I had no intention of attending or being involved, if you aren't interested in coming then why bother commenting in a negative way? That just seems unnecessary to me.

Cedges, I think you will find that EDF would grind to a standstill if only "necessary" comments were allowed.

I hold no great antipathy towards the SA movement, I also agree with you that it appears to be trying to do good but let's say the event was to be help in the EDCC instead, or some other ED venue, even those who had no interest in attending the service may feel they would like to question how the traffic & parking demand generated by an event aimed at the wider South London populous may encroach upon the surrounding residential roads.

Here's link to the website for anyone interested in attending http://sundayassembly.com/

baggie Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Are those people in the video link for real?? I

> would like to hurt them! I don't think this is

> the intention of the message.

Just watched it too. Bloody Hell....

http://www.abubakarstore.co.uk/images/mixed%20nuts.jpg