Forum Sponsors

http://www.gardenia-gardens.com
xxxx
www.mindovermatterboxing.co.uk

Your Local Personal Trainer

Advertise here

The East Dulwich Forum
The Bishop, The EDT, The Great Exhibition, the Actress or another?
Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
messageRe: Credit Card Fraud
Posted by Sue 22 May, 2008 11:11

First Direct are brilliant in just about every respect (no I don't work for them!)

They're efficient, reliable, helpful and friendly, and if they need to call you back they always do, when they said they would.

Don't know whether their credit card is currently competitive though if you need a low interest rate ..... I go from card to card, have had a FD card in the past but not at the moment ....

Posted by dulwichflower76 22 June, 2008 10:09

Hi Clare
I'm still waiting to hear back from Abbey. No money has been credited back yet. I too am thinking of writing a letter complaining about the poor communication.
Flower

Posted by Sparky82 23 June, 2008 14:27

I've experienced similar issues in the last few months. The cash machine I am now wary of is the one by the parade of shops on East Dulwich Road. Having seen a documentary about these free-standing cash machines and how easy they are to tap into you'd think I'd have taken heed!

Posted by cate 05 July, 2008 21:47

LibraCarr Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hi,
>
> Just a quickie to make you aware that the
> following businesses that have had incidents, so
> you may want to use cash as an alternative.
>
> Texaco Garage - Grove Vale, East Dulwich
> Budgens Convenience Store - Lordship Lane, East
> Dulwich
> Costcutter/Jet Service Station - East Dulwich
> Road, East Dulwich
> Tesco's (Metro outlet) - East Dulwich Road, East
> Dulwich
>
> The way that some fraudsters obtain your pin
> number is by using a remote camera, they place it
> above the keyboard and read.When they start to get
> noticed the retrieve the camera and move on to the
> next hole in the wall. A simple tip is that if
> you sight anyone sitting in a car/van facing the
> machine,then do not use that machine. Always look
> above the keyboard for the camera, but do not
> remove it as they might get annoyed!
> A remote camera needs a clear signal view and
> needs no more that 25 yards to obtain good
> recordable footage.
>
> If you have had a problem and want to change
> banks, I would suggest the coop bank, they rang me
> at 23.00 and asked if I was in India, as
> transactions were tendered over the previous two -
> three hours. They limited my card to UK
> transactions for an hour to allow me to withdraw
> cash, on the understanding that as soon as I had
> withdrawn the money I would call them back to
> advise them. In a couple of day's I had a new
> card and pin number.
>
> Another area that is sus is Peckham, literally all
> machines have been amended at some stage.
>
> Regards,
> Libra Carr.

I was called today by my bank, First Direct to ask if I was in Germany. No I said. Evidently someone used my cloned card to try and withdraw euros. They had the pin number luckily the bank stopped the transaction. I have used all the places you mention above Libra Carr, recently. So my card has been cancelled and I am awaiting the issue of a new one. If they use remote cameras then could we put our hand over the keypad to stop anyone seeing the pin?

Cate

Posted by Peckhamgatecrasher 05 July, 2008 21:58

That's what I do at any cash point/till. Memorise the position of the key pad then cover your hand with purse/newspaper/other hand, etc and enter pin.

Posted by mamafeelgood 08 July, 2008 13:03

i would like to add Nationwide building society to the list of good money people. they have been brilliant in every case of fraud, not questioned the problem: varying from several thousands to the recent one this weekend of 300. someone even attempted a fake passport at a counter, i kid you not!

they also gave me a direct landline number rather than an 08 one so when i call it's free, hurrah!

basically, someone posted earlier that natwest were silly by sending a letter. as i understand it a bank will immediately try to get in touch and call 2-3 times with a half hour delay. their policy, quite rightly, is not to leave a message. then if they have no luck they send you a letter having restricted the card.

this time my money was taken in malaysia: it's bad enough that they are ripping all this money in lovely hot sunny destinations without it having to be my child benefit that they're lifting.

and yes credit cards are actually better as you can cancel a payment, unlike a debit card where the money has been taken. this is how it was explained to me, however, i think i'm going to stick to cash for the next few months. it will help organise spending as the recession hits and will stop me from buying tat that i don't need.

Posted by ClareC 08 July, 2008 14:29

dulwichflower Wrote:
> Hi Clare
> I'm still waiting to hear back from Abbey. No
> money has been credited back yet. I too am
> thinking of writing a letter complaining about the
> poor communication.
> Flower

Hi Dulwichflower,

Definitely complain! I heard nothing for a month, the money was then credited back but nothing further said!

I complained about the lack of communication (erm none!), the time it took and the general poor handling of the whole incident - namely me being rejected money in London but those in Canada / South Africa happily spending. I received a letter of apology, advised the fraud team were aware and would be looking at their communication and I got 100 credited to my account. Sounds like the problem hasnt been rectified yet!

Posted by Debi 09 July, 2008 10:10

Bought petrol in Texaco Grove Vale on Sat afternoon with my credit card. Thought a bit weird at time as they keyed in wrong amount and called me back to correct it. Later that evening Barclaycard called to say card inc PIN no had been presented in Canada (400 purchase - rejected I'm glad to say).

I was impressed at speed and efficiency of bank's response at least ...

Posted by nutty 09 July, 2008 10:35

My card got cloned on Saturday also. First Direct were rapid on the case and blocked a withdrawal in Germany on Sunday. I had used texaco and a few other retailers with the card recently (so could have been any of them and I'm not suggesting it is texaco - however will probably stick to cash in there in future as there seems to be some history there based on other posts). FD couldn't tell me who the flagged retailer was but I was assured the authorities know and are taking action.

--------------------
nutty

-----------------------------------------

Posted by jumpinjackflash 09 July, 2008 11:05

Hi Debi, not the first time Texaco has been menioned on this thread and other card fraud threads. I only ever use cash if I fill up there.

Posted by Huggers 09 July, 2008 11:32

The garage in East DUlwich Road has had its pin pad removed for security checks- its the old fashioned sign your name business at the moment.

Posted by fish 09 July, 2008 13:39

If the above-mentioned places in E.D., are well known for Credit Card Fraud, why hasn't the police been drafted in to investigate, or the Companies involved? It can't be doing their reputations any good?

Posted by caz 09 July, 2008 18:28

I had my card scammed in the last couple of days,also tried to be used in Canada.Thankfully Barclays picked it up staightaway.Only used it locally over the past few days,Texaco ,Grove Vale was one!

messagecloned credit cards
Posted by dosser 09 July, 2008 21:53

hya everyone.
i used my credit card in the petrol station in grove vale , on the 5th of this month, my bank rang me and told me my card was cloned at this station , and some one was in canada trying to take money from my account .
on the same day they tried to take out money twice first time for 99 and the second for 399 , both were declined , as you all might be aware barclays bank do not give money out unless you tell them your visiting a place abroad, and what card your using.
so people of east dulwich take care
cheers
doss

Posted by Comus 09 July, 2008 22:48

I have had the same problem! i was phoned by Barclays at 8.30 am yesterday to ask if I had made a cash withdrawal of 99 in Montreal Canada at 3am. Also a declined withdrawal of 300 in Vancouver a couple of hours later. I do get about a bit, but I was happily in ED. I had used the Texaco a couple of times in the last few weeks, so suggest anyone who has filled up there and paid by debit card take a close look at their statement. The Bank was quite helpful and told me the routine to reclaim the money - nor did they seem particularly surprised, though they were not specific about the retailer.

Dosser is quite right, by the way; Barclays are always suspicious about overseas debit card transactions and now require you to let them know in advance. A pain, but it's easy to see why...

Posted by Jeremy 10 July, 2008 09:54

This is all painfully familiar... a bunch of us on the forum last year came to exactly the same conclusion. I've learned never to use cards at petrol stations... it's unfortuante that people can't be trusted, but that's life.

fish - I personally phoned the police about this last year, and they officially don't give a crap.

Posted by Debi 10 July, 2008 10:37

I've always sniggered a bit at people who go to great lengths to cover up their PIN when they enter it. I've learned my lesson! And I'm also going to boycott the Grove Vale Texaco from now on ...

Posted by fish 10 July, 2008 12:09

Jeremy Wrote:
> This is all painfully familiar... a bunch of us on
> the forum last year came to exactly the same
> conclusion. I've learned never to use cards at
> petrol stations... it's unfortuante that people
> can't be trusted, but that's life.
>
> fish - I personally phoned the police about this
> last year, and they officially don't give a crap.

No wonder it's such a lucrative crime. thumbs down

Posted by Keef 10 July, 2008 13:32

A friend of mine had his card cloned a couple of weeks back, the first thing that sprung to my mind was to ask him if he had used a certain petrol station in ED, and sure enough that was one of the few places he had used said card!

How much bloody proof is needed?!?!?

Posted by knackered cow 10 July, 2008 13:55

Happened to me!
Bank called me on Monday to say they had made an arrest and found a number of peoples card numbers on their person. They also said these numbers were form people living around the same area as me! I haven't been to any bars recently so a dodgy shop assistent somewhere me thinks!

Posted by ratty 10 July, 2008 14:02

Sorry but are we talking about the Petrol Station by the roundabout on Grove Vale or the one nearer Tescos on East Dulwich Road? Cannot remember which is which.

Posted by copleston_charlie 10 July, 2008 14:11

Doh! Had my credit card stopped a couple of days ago - as someone was trying to use 'my card' in Germany and Denmark. I too had been into Grove Vale Texaco in the preceeding week - but also various other East Dulwich haunts.

Posted by Debi 10 July, 2008 14:28

Ratty - the one on Grove Vale just by Goose Green roundabout.

Come to think of it, for a while they had 'sign only' for credit cards instead of PINs recently. I joked with the guy at the time saying it was so rare I wasn't sure if I could remember my signature. He wasn't amused as I recall. Having read all this now, I do wonder if the machine hadn't been removed for checking. If so, it doesn't seem to have been very effective as a deterrent (assuming our suspicions are well-founded).

Posted by ratty 10 July, 2008 14:35

Right, I am going down there to give them a piece of my mind!

Posted by joey2 10 July, 2008 16:24

I had a call on Saturday to say that mine had been cloned and used in Germany! I also know someone who'd used the HSBC bank on the highstreet and hers was cloned because a gadget had been put on the cashpoint machine. She has 3,000 taken out of her account.

Posted by SeanMacGabhann 10 July, 2008 16:30

I can say that my card gets left behind all the bars in ED, and used in most shops - never had a problem (to date and touch wood)

The one place I can definitely say it is NOT used is..... a petrol station.

Posted by snowman 10 July, 2008 17:45

Mine was cloned last year, luckily the bank rejected any attempt at withdrawing money. And guess what... the only place where I had used it which wasn't part of my usual 'routine' was Texaco on Grove Vale! I was suspicious about them at the time and decided not to use Texaco again. Card has been safe ever since!

Posted by Floating Onion 11 July, 2008 09:32

Comus Wrote:
> Dosser is quite right, by the way; Barclays are
> always suspicious about overseas debit card
> transactions and now require you to let them know
> in advance. A pain, but it's easy to see why...

I use Barclay's & I've never had them query any transactions while traveling. I've been doing fairly extensive travel in Europe lately & never once told them about the travel or had any payments queried. Also used it in Canada & Bermuda without a peep from Barclay's. Luckily I haven't had anybody clone my card either.

Posted by MadWorld74 11 July, 2008 22:46

Mr MW74 has had his card cloned as well. Bank know where it was used and then cloned, but won't tell him?????????????????

He's only used it in LL in the past few weeks.

Posted by jim_the_chin 12 July, 2008 10:32

i've just started going back to texaco after boyotting for a long time. i tried one lloyds card and it was declined and another was too, then used my debit card which did work. i rang the card co. up after and they said they'd put a security block on it because of unusual activity, which there hadn't really been, so i wonder if they're aware of this and declining transactions from this place.

48 hrs later and no strange trasnactions on my cards.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Back to top of page
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Donate                   Terms of use                  Help & FAQs                   Advertise               RSS rss feed               Copyright 2006 - 2018 East Dulwich Forum