Tropic of Dulwich

There's a monkey puzzle tree on Crystal Palace Road. And palms in Peckham. The current issue of Living South reports a vineyard.

What's the most exotic thing in your garden? On your road? Has anyone spotted bougainvilla? Varieties of citrus? Some young olive trees?

Louisiana

Although I fear repeating myself (see post on palm trees in Peckham), a house on Dunstans Rd near to Forest Hill Rd has huge cacti in a somewhat ramshackle greenhouse in the front garden. It's worth a look. In the summer he takes the glass away. Very savannah-like. Nero

I have been looking at that cactus for years (almost crashing into parked cars as I drive by!).

I think it is really wonderful how he takes care of it and packs it up for the winter in its little 'house' - a real sign that autumn is nearly here. it is now almost too big, the owner needs to make a bigger one!

spymum

(Blog: Posh Mum)

keef - we used to stay quiet walking past the monkey tree and yes I still do it too!

there was one down our road when growing up, it might still be there.

I wonder where that came from, it's a very odd superstition.

DulwichMum - I agree, Brazilian workman are fab!

We have a fig tree (that produces figs I have never done anything with), a grapevine, a couple of palms.

My friend's sister lives in the monkey puzzle house on CP Rd - I'll ask if they know about the superstition.

In Victorian times, the front of the house was a way to indicate to the world how prosperous you were. I've read that a monkey puzzle tree was considered to be indicative of being very wealthy.

Keef Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> When my sister and I were little, and probably

> annoying our poor mother, she used to tell us that

> it was bad luck to talk when you were passing the

> monkey tree. Stupid thing is, I still don't to

> this day! :-S

We lived on Upland road from 1981 and there used to be a Monkey Puzzle tree in the front garden of I think 137 or 139. Both my children did the same thing every morning walking them to St Johns & St Clements on North Cross Road.