rumours of zizzi?

Louisa

I was told by the lady in Bells kitchen and plumbing supplies that they had recently been approached by a number of people trying to encourage them to sell up.. Oddly enough, she mentioned the name Zizzi? anyone know who or what they are? I am presuming that Bells own the shop rather than rent or lease, otherwise it would seem quite an underhand tactic on behalf of these various businesses.

early days (about 5 years ago) when there weren't too many of them they were.. ok. Last 2 times I have tried (in different locations) it was service station quality.. bad bad bad..

Bells are expensive but I always try and give business to them - they are always friendly and helpful (and I don't need a car to go see them)

Zizzi's ok. Not nearly as bad as people are making out. I would prefer an independent one, but only if it was decent (there are far too many crap independent places about, like that dreadful Mexican place on Lordship lane. Better a half-decent chain than that).

Thats pretty accurate Louisiana

With one possible exception - you know what to expect at Pizza Hut. It doesn't try and dress itself up as an upmarket Italian. Zizzi does and fails miserably. If you don't like pizzas at Magdala wait till you try these bad boys

Oh and like GBK you will have a table the size of a large cigarette box and be elbow close to next table...

Agreed... Strada or Pizza Express are both nicer than Zizzi. I've never found the food there unpleasant as such, but the sauces taste like they came out of a jar.

Anyway, I find Bells OK, I don't think they are overly expensive. Although the bathroom fitter they recommended to me turned out to be a cowboy of the highest order!!

I was taken Zizzis in Beckenham last year and I can quite catagorically state that it was utter shite, but not quite as bad as Bella Pasta in the Village, so I am pleased that has now closed down, but I'm not overjoyed at the prospect of a Cafe Rouge as it's replacement. It seems rather odd to me that there isn't one decent restaurant in Dulwich Village and yes, I've been to Beauberry House and it was a pretty dreadful experience.

been there once for food, couple of years back, before current ownership and it wasn't hopeless but it was VERY pleased with itself, VERY expensive and the staff VERY unhelpful

On the plus side we were sat outside on the rear veranda, the sun was shining and it was a fantastic evening which we couldn't have had anywhere else.. but we didn't rush back

I can only agree on the whole about the Village eating choices - the worst has to be Piaf. I try once every year (for 6 years) endless promise of change/management change and yet it always remains poor from start to finish. Some places I go to despite knowing of long waits and inconsistent food because other things make up for it - know the staff, nice garden etc... this place has nothing

The foot at the Dog has been spoken of already - but despite that I can still extract some value from it it

Bella & Express - you know/knew what to expect (ditto rouge when it opens)

If I was cynical I could say the eateries some up spme of the attitude I get from SE21 generally - overly pleased with itself, easily pleased by brands or happy to pay through the nose for something they don't understand ("if we don't cook it at home and it's ?25 then it MUST be good")

But I'm not that cynical....

Yes Keef and Crystal Clear, Beauberry House used to be called Belair House in that wonderful building in Belair Park. I could make a list as long as your arm as to how bad that place is, so thank God someone else was paying on the few occasions that I went there, not that I'll ever be going back again whether someone else is paying or not.

I used to love Pizza Express and unlike most I don't think they have gone downhill in recent years (overstretching the menu maybe) but I guess travelling more has made me less keen on knowing-what-im-going-to-get tied in with a vague uneasiness at central distribution type food and it's attendant transport issues

Sandal-wearing concern I know - I'm guilty of it

They are good with kids - too good maybe as I found out one quiet summers day, off work, with a friend.. went along mid afternoon thinking it would be empty but it was like a creche. couldn' hear a word we said. I'm not bemoaning children or parents or anything - it's just what it is

Agreed there, I went to the village one on a Sunday a while back, and had to sit at a table outside in the cold, cos my hangover couldn't take the noise of the kids inside! B)

However, I imagine one day when I have little keefs (Eeek), I will be pleased of somewhere to take them where I can get a beer and a pizza ;-)