Rats in Dulwich park

BVale

I decided to share this with you and wonder if you have similar experience.

I went for a walk in dulwich park with my son and when we walked over the boardwalk.. somewhere in the middle.. I realised we were surrounded by rats, I have to admit I was (my son didn't mind :) )in shock! I have never seen something like this, soooo many rats around me...grhhh!!!I have seen them before but this picture was something really crazy to see! Hmm not sure if I'll go back there again :(

BVale Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I decided to share this with you and wonder if you

> have similar experience.

It depends which side of the park you're from - those from the Hole call them voles. But yes, there are a lot of rats about - cheerful, bright-eyed little souls that have got quite good at swimming and hide under the bridge in the hope of crumbs or coot's eggs.

If you don't like them, then you can stop pretending to feed the ducks and put the crumbs in the bin. But the little Marmadukes and Maisys can quite enjoy the rats, and it's not as if they carrying the plague. Yet.

BundaberG Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I know of a person who captures them and once

> caged they fatten them up on lots and lots of lard

> so they can't walk any more then releases them

> back onto the streets so all the cats can eat them

God - that's a bit 'Royston Vasey'! You're joking no?

I saw the rats on the bridge too! One ran towards me whilst another one was watching from the edge of the bridge! Completely freaked me out that I ran with the buggy off the bridge like a woman possessed! I really don't want my son to pick up on my fear of rats/pigeons. We had seeds bought from the cafe to feed the ducks and were told the bread people are throwing are attracting the rats aswell as being really unhealthy for the ducks.

Plenty at Camberwell Old cemetery if you want to rat-watch, I often see them running along then climbing the fence along Langton rise on my way to work in the morning...Probably why the foxes are leaving the bins alone more and are still looking healthy and plump ;)