We are trialing a dedicated East Dulwich COVID-19 Area on the forum here - please keep it useful.

Forum Sponsors

http://www.gardenia-gardens.com

www.advancedpainters.co.uk

Advertise here

The East Dulwich Forum
Would you recommend your East Dulwich doctor, dentist or butcher?
Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4
messageRe: Live in East Dulwich and work in .....?????????
Posted by AcedOut 29 May, 2008 18:02

The City (near Bank of England). 20 minutes to the London Wall underground car park by scooter. 15 minutes back in the evening smiling smiley

Posted by hibbs 29 May, 2008 18:16

50 minutes to Clerkenwell - hmmmmmm me thinks I should purchase myself a scooter.

Posted by Twentiethcenturymarc 29 May, 2008 18:17

Live off Goose Green and work in Kensington...if I time the connections properly I can do it 35 minutes, which isn't too bad. And the 176 does for me okay at night from the city.

Posted by SeanMacGabhann 29 May, 2008 18:26

50 minutes on the 63 to Clerkenwell should be easily possible - prob not after 8am to be fair but I've done it regularly
(umm good to see you back on here as well hibbs)

Posted by dulwichbeekeeper 29 May, 2008 18:30

peckham rye to siansburys 10 mins max

Posted by boosboss 29 May, 2008 19:15

63 to E&C then Bakerloo Line big grin

Posted by Mrs Y 29 May, 2008 19:51

I attend two offices one in Tottenham Court Road the other in Croydon - drive to TCR which takes about 40mins and Croydon 25 mins.

Posted by spadetownboy 29 May, 2008 21:11

stroll/bike to denmark hill/peckham rye, choo choo to bromley sth, stroll/bike other end.

Posted by glau 29 May, 2008 21:49

Aldwich from top of Lordship Lane on the 176. 60 mins depending on traffic, got to be one of the ugliest, most depressing routes in London, Walworth Rd - EC. Tried cycling until knocked off at EC by minicab driver.
Looking for a job nearby. Any suggestions?
Also do Liverpool street: Brompton - Train - Brompton.

Posted by Ms B 29 May, 2008 22:23

City - change at London Bridge for Cannon Street, then toddle for five mins. About 45-50 mins total due to walk this end.

Posted by macroban 29 May, 2008 23:09

Does no-one live in East Dulwich and work in East Dulwich?

Posted by redrouge 29 May, 2008 23:24

I study in Wimbledon, so 185 to Vauxhall (about an hour) then train from there to Wimbledon (15 mins) then a 20 minute walk to uni. Then I go to work in the West End and that takes 45 mins on the tube and train, then 176 home from Leicester Sq and that can take up to an hour at 11pm at night! Unfortunately, my commute is so drastic, I'm leaving ED for the first time in my life and moving to Wimbledon sad smiley

Posted by Muttley 29 May, 2008 23:29

Quote:
Macroban
Does no-one live in East Dulwich and work in East
Dulwich?
Me.

Also Eric the painter of Landells Road.

Posted by LuvPeckham 29 May, 2008 23:29

Peckham actually (which is fairly close to East Dulwich) B)

--------------------
I Luv Peckham
You Luv Peckham
We all Luv Peckham

but no one is doing anything about it !!!

Posted by demery 30 May, 2008 00:20

redrouge - why would you not take the train to wimbledon from peckham rye?

Posted by Izodia 30 May, 2008 09:09

Yep redrouge, as demery says there's a train link to Wimbledon from ED. My other half works in Raynes Park and he can do door to door in about 40 mins. There's about 3 direct trains every morning and evening. But even when the direct trains aren't running, it's still quick with changing at Tulse Hill. Did the journey only yesterday evening. Left ED station at 19.20 arrived at Wimbledon at 19.50.

Posted by SCSB79 30 May, 2008 09:23

SeanMacGabhann Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ojm - are you me?

No - i think he is me! 40 from first stop to last in Aldgate. Pain in the arse, but simple as I work about 50 yards from the last stop and a 5 minute walk from the first stop. I hate it but it's half the price of getting the train each month. Thank god for Chris Moyles on Radio 1 in the morning.

Posted by SeanMacGabhann 30 May, 2008 10:10

Part of my rationale behind walking from E&C to wherever work is, is that it makes the journey time much more reliable. Wally Rd can be bad but Plough to E&C is fairly reliable - Borough High st is often ok too but London Bridge and beyond brings out the screaming-nutter in me

I've even noticed a few workers from my office at the PLough bus-stop now (although one of them tells people at work she lives in the Village - ha - sounds like the sort of person to prove Louisa right)

Posted by redrouge 30 May, 2008 10:31

Izodia Wrote:
> Yep redrouge, as demery says there's a train link
> to Wimbledon from ED. My other half works in
> Raynes Park and he can do door to door in about 40
> mins. There's about 3 direct trains every morning
> and evening. But even when the direct trains
> aren't running, it's still quick with changing at
> Tulse Hill. Did the journey only yesterday
> evening. Left ED station at 19.20 arrived at
> Wimbledon at 19.50.

The direct trains are a bit too early for my commute and any time I've got the train to Tulse Hill and then the train to Wimbledon, I find that the trains are nearly ALWAYS delayed, so if I miss one of the trains to Tulse Hill/its delayed and get to Tulse Hill, the Wimbledon trains only run once every half an hour, and that's half an hour of waiting I've had to do too many times in the rain whilst holding big black bags of art work. Commuting is made 10x worse when you're a design student!

And yesterday all the trains were cancelled/delayed forever! I waited at Wimbledon station for the 18:20 back to Dulwich, and it never came... Hoards of very annoyed looking people, scrambling for a new route home. I just got on the train back to Vauxhall. My patience with first capital connect/southern ran out after my first week at university.

Posted by Pedro Rey 30 May, 2008 10:48

Live on Ivydale Road, work in Primrose Hill. Get there by bike, which takes 40 minutes (about half an hour quicker than public transport). Been knocked off once, several near misses - still beats commuting hands down...

Posted by jimbo1964 30 May, 2008 11:15

Camden Town. Takes me 40 minutes by bike or about 75 minutes by public transport.

Posted by Izodia 30 May, 2008 11:31

Ah that's a shame redrouge...I must have got lucky yesterday then, admittedly it's not a journey I do regularly.

Posted by Townleygreen 30 May, 2008 11:34

I work in East Dulwich and live in Beckenham. The 176 from Penge is easy enough, plus a little walk at the start.

Posted by Sonners 30 May, 2008 13:16

I am also a no. 40 regular but get off at Bank to walk to St Katherine's docks. Or I get the tube one stop to Tower Hill if the weather is particularily awful.

Although unfortunately my firm is moving offices to Chancery Lane soon which is gonna add to my journey time. crying smiley

Posted by Cassius 30 May, 2008 13:18

Easy to get to Chancery Lane from Blackfriars - less than 10 minutes walk - so train from Peckham Rye or Denmark Hill.

Posted by Sonners 30 May, 2008 13:19

Oooh, thanks for the tip Cassius! Are the trains quite regular from Denmark Hill to Blackfriars?

Posted by Cassius 30 May, 2008 13:39

Can't remember - best to check on-line

Posted by ClareC 30 May, 2008 13:43

Sonners Wrote:
> Oooh, thanks for the tip Cassius! Are the trains
> quite regular from Denmark Hill to Blackfriars?

There are about 4 trains an hour. Some go all the way to City Thameslink which is closer still.

The number 45 bus goes from Blackfriars to Chancery Lane and is pretty regular, alternatively it is just a 10 minute walk if you exit the station from the correct exit. The exit you want is to head as though your going to the underground, but bear right down the underpass. Go straight ahead through the underpass, leaving by the steps on the right, the bus stop for the number 45 is straight ahead, or you can walk. If you get your timings right you can do the trip in 35 mins big grin

Posted by surfbobby 30 May, 2008 13:43

Used to work in London Bridge, a total breeze, but now work in Stockley Park, an industrial estate near Heathrow.
For the first year I took public transport consisting of:
Bus to ED/FOH Train station
Train to Lon Bridge
Jubilee to Baker St
Bakerloo to Paddington
Train from Pad to Hayes and Harlington
Bus from H&H to Stockley Park

Twice a day

All in all 2 hours at rush hours and 1.5 hours when all goes smooth, normally the milkmen aren't even up though

It was starting to crack me up, so I drive now

Posted by Cassius 30 May, 2008 13:55

surfbobby - I hope you are paid a flipping fortune for putting up with that! shudder!

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4

Back to top of page
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Donate                   Terms of use                  Help & FAQs                   Advertise               RSS rss feed               Copyright 2006 - 2018 East Dulwich Forum