World of warcraft

batdog

At risk of exposing myself as some sort of Ubergeek (perish the thought) WoW isn't a site, the address you give is merely a news/forum presence created by the game company.

It's a fully online PC / Mac game, where most creatures you see running around the world are other players. You need to buy the game which comes with 3 months subscription, and after that pay 8 quid a month or so to continue playing it. Graphically it's impressive while being cartoony and simplistic enough that even low-end PC users can get very good visuals.

At first glance it seems a geeks haven, be an elf or dwarf or orc, the usual fare, potter around doing quests like 'kill 8 wolves', ad infinitum. However it has attracted an incredibly broad spectrum of players, kids (the annoying ones that shout and always ask for money), geeks, normal people, professionals, housewives, househusbands, students, the unemployed, the unemployable (they play to much WoW).

It is also horribly addictive, partly as its a social on-line experience, partly because its very easy to get sucked in to the carrot on a stick reward mechanism it employs. Beware the day you start referring to the non-game world as RL (real life).

I played it for a year, even made a couple of friends out of it, occasionally still will share a beer with them in london. But I did teeter on the brink of playing too much. I've not played for many moons now but most of the friends i made are still averaging 4-8 hours a day (while holding down jobs/studies/marriages with varying degrees of success) so be careful!

A host of reviews here that bandy about superlatives like they were going out of fashion.

All that said, it's great fun, give it a go and try not to be too self concious about it.

Wise people of ED,

Thanks for illuminating me once again on the prodigies and miracles of the "internet", but there is no chance I will ever get addicted to a screen game, I have already two addictions in life and they're enough : travel and sex..... very healthy addiction for the body and the brain.....

B)

• 4 weeks later...

I prefer Runescape myself (yes, I know - deeply deeply sad! But so addictive!!) I simply daren't get hooked on another game like Warcraft! Get back to reality girl - you have a job, a house, kids and a husband!

(PS:- Geeks Rule!!!)

spymum

(blog:

Dear Mr Batdog and Mr Huguenot,

This is all very dark - obviously you need to be married, and this talk of the Marquis de Sade (it wouldn't be a Catholic wedding you are going to Huguenot, would it?) Wash your mouth out young men. You should be ashamed of yourselves. The next thing we know you will be justifying the use of contraception, and then poor East Dulwich will be on the turn for sure.

(Did I spell contraception correctly Fr O'Oconnor?)

• 1 month later...
ha thank god for runescape i have been playing it now for about 4 months yes very addictive but value for money if you are a member ?3.20 a month i know its really for kids but hey why cant us older ones have some fun, i do my work and what ever needs to be done before hand i must say good old runescape

Be careful of these online games. I got seriously addicted to a pre-internet online multiplayer game on Prestel called Shades. I met a bloke online, one thing led to another, and we've now been married for 13 years!

Ruth