That lovely house on Champion Hill

I thought it might be inappropriate to mention it in the property section as it's merely a gossip-y type question.

I go through Champion Hill/Grove every day and notice that black house that looks a bit Grand Designs and wondered if it was a show house. Or do they film tv shows in it? Just I have been going past it on the bus for over a year now and I often see different people through the angled window.

Does anyone know anything about the place? And was it possibly on Grand Designs?

I thought I saw it on a tv programme about a year ago, not GrandDesigns but another, where the design was discussed. It was modelled as a New Zealand beach house. Very nice and clever it was, too. Didn't see Ms Eclair in the film anywhere though and maybe I am talking about the wrong house but it is the black one with few windows looking on the main road and lots of glass at the side and the back.

I always loved that house, it shows very well that contemporary architecture can fit in with its surrounding (i.e. the black timber cladding is a clear reference to the balconies of the properties across the road) and would be very happy to see more interventions of that kind of quality around the area. In my opinion it adds character and individuality and I would praise the planners that have seen merits in such a design.

I totally agree. I think it fits in well with the area and more similar developments would be great give the place a new modern and contemporary look and jazz it up a bit. Its a great house but in terms of privacy everything is quite visible, especially when your going by on the bus which i couldnt live with as people would be forever looking in.

On the subject of grand designs though, there is a house on camberwell grove which was featured on grand desings some while back.

Edie -

yes, two ultra modern new apartments. Not too sure on location though - right on the crossroads.

They are also a strange layout inside.

Take a look at the cute one bed house on Grove Lane - that looks wicked. Builders always leave door open so you can nose in!

I noticed those 2 apartments as well. I don't think they come close to the architectural quality of the 'stealth house' but nevertheless it is refreshing to see developments 'with a difference' cropping up. Where on Grove Lane is the one bed house? Would love to drive by and take a peek!