Accidents on corner of Underhill and Barry

I don't know if anyone else lives near this corner. I do, and I've noted 3 car accidents here in the last 5 months. Considering I very rarely see car accidents anywhere else, I'm guessing this is an unusually large amount!

In all of the cases I have seen, a car driving down Barry Road towards the Rye clips the front of a car pulling out from Underhill Road (either side).

I think the best solution for this problem would be a couple cars worth of double yellows on Barry Road to improve visibility of oncoming traffic for the drivers crossing or joining Barry Road from Underhill Road.

I hate driving across that crossing so much I go out of my way to avoid it.

A couple of years ago my wife was nudging out from Underhill Road (heading south) to see if it was safe to cross and was hit by a car coming down Barry Road (towards the Rye). Plenty of damage, fortunately nobody hurt.

Cars seem to drive pretty fast on that part of Barry Road.

I think you're right about the double-yellows as a good start. What I don't understand is why there can't be traffic lights and a proper junction. The traffic light pedestrian crossing is a help, but it hasn't stopped the car crashes.

How to go about lobbying for something to be done?

Yes, agree on this - cars parked close to the junction with Underhill Rd opposite Banfield's wood yard obscure the view up Barry Rd as you nudge out of Underhill - leaving a very high chance of being taken out by any boy racer coming down Barry Rd.

Mr Councillor please fix this before people die.

Thanks XX

There's a similar blackspot on the Goodrich / Lordship Lane junction - cars park outside the church and you can't see the traffic coming up the hill as you are trying to turn right out of Goodrich

Barry Rd I would guess is the responsibility of TFL. I would suggest contacting Val Shawcross who is our elected represesenative for the GLA. While you're at it get her also to do something about the junction at East Dulwich Rd & Peckham Rye. James Barber the local councillor is aware of this junction and how dangerous it is; but as of today nothing has been done.

In my view most of Underhill Road suffers from bad junctions - there are far too many roads to cross - they've put in a new roundabout at one of either Friern / Upland which has helped, but the other is still really difficult, especially driving uphill...

• 2 weeks later...

Ultimately the problem is people's driving, rather than the (admittedly bad) road layout. I've noticed more and more speed humps in SE London over the past few years. No doubt due to the general tendency of people not taking responsibility for themselves or their driving - "it's the road's fault, not mine" - so the council are forced to put in traffic calming, speed cameras etc. to force people to slow down.

I'm sure this is going to be unpopular, but how about a speed camera on Barry Road? That might make those idiot boy racers and minicab drivers think twice...

Last night I was crossing the road up on champion hill, looked to my right and there was a golf about 80 yards away, so no probs to cross.

It was about half way across i realise he's doing something in the order of 70 mph and accelerating, as I put an extra skip in my stride the driver finds it hilarious to do a little swerve in and away from my direction.

At best it makes him a cock (forgive my swearing I'm still really angry) and worst he's the type to drive with balding tyres, lose traction, control and kill me and about 8 other pedestrians making their way home on a short, narrow residential st.

It's these people who won't learn until they're either dead, have killed someone or both. I'm ashamed to say i shouted at him as he went by and made less than gentlemanly gesticulations. Considering he's probably the type to carry an iron bar that was probably not too wise on my part either.

Mockney - sorry to hear about that. That has happened to me twice in the past and don't apologise for reacting, I've done the same. Ok it's not big or clever and probably what they want to see but still.. I take it you are unscathed?

I do know that is how I am going to go - I will lose it completely with some gobsheeeite of a driver

And still people say speed cameras/humps are there to victimise the poor innocent driver. (and yes I drive and no they don't bother me because...... I don't speed)

Ditto! The speed camera next to Peckham Rye Park is great - for once we can all drive at an adequate 30 without being jostled along by some impatient, dangerous fool stuck to the tailgate. Christ, I mus be getting old or something...

I know it is a little risky, but I usually stop still and feign throwing something at their windscreen.

Usually slows them down fairly sharpish.

Although, one really agressive American in a an X5 chased me round the houses once. I couldn't stop laughing which made him even more angry. His wife was bawling her eyes out and i hope she gave him hell once his red mist subsided..

@James - are you sure those cameras are working? I've seen people go hurtling down the hill towards Peckham and the camera pointing up the hill flasing twice a moment later with no vehicles going in the opposite direction!

I wonder if this info is available via Freedom of Information. I don't want to drain precious resources, but it would be good to know.

I hope they are. I have an awful sneaking suspicion that lots of people who flout laws (eg. go through red lights, speed past speed cameras etc.) get away with it as they cannot be traced - probably no insurance anyway. It's like when you see fare dodgers in stations openly jumping the barriers cos the inspectors are too scared to confront them. Sadly we are all subsidising people like this.

Ohhhhhh goodness I am moving from North London to Barry Road tomorrow & ride a little 125 motorbike, much to the annoyance of boy racers at a few notches JUST below the speed limit. Unfortunately I came off twice in one day back in December after riding through a massive oil spillage just before the roads were closed (Canonbury Rd/Highbury Corner, Islington & then Prescott Rd, Tower Hamlets), I mashed my knee up rather badly & suffered with torn nerves & ligaments, scar tissue damage & a trapped sciatic nerve.

Anyways enough of that but just wanted to say if you do see a little black baby-cruiser style motorbike being ridden oh so carefully by a little silver helmeted woman please do NOT sit on my tail & flash or beeb me to try to make me go faster, cos it wont work. I know my safety & comfort zone & I will NOT exceed it for anyone, I am more likely to pull over & let you silly speed demons pass, however DO expect a rude hand gesture from me & a scowl.

KEEP THE STREETS SAFE FOR ALL OUR SAKES, DRIVERS, PEDESTRIANS, CYCLISTS & WEE CRITTERS ~ Thanks GG