What's going on at the CPT?

I know the lovely Aussies have left and there are new staff. They've been doing some work on the interior in the front bar - fancy wallpaper and paintwork. All fine I suppose.

However, went in last night and was charged an astonishing ?9 for a pint of lager, large glass of white wine and packet of peanuts. When I queried the cost the guy behind the bar said they'd be looking into the prices as others had complained. Not surprised - I think you'd be hard pushed to pay that much in the West End.

It's a shame as it's our local and I've always been happy with it but at those prices they won't be seeing me. I'd rather go down the Uppy and get a drink at a more reasonable price.

Thought all that ended with the breweries being forced to sell their pubs in the 80s (remember when each pub only sold the drinks from the brewery that owned it). Seems like the old breweries just sold on to a new set of monopolies.

4 quid a pint is more than I can pay most nights mind (credit crunch isn't it) - Weatherspoons Birmingham @ Broad Street last night (working here this week) was 1.89 for Fosters and not much more for the rest and not a bad Weatherspoons as they go either. Seems to be huge variations.

david_carnell Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> ?4 for a pint?! Of what - myrrh?

>

> Bloody pubcos upping prices no doubt.

>

> Do something about it:

>

> http://www.fairpint.org.uk/

Carlsberg is ?3, Grolsch & Stella are ?3.30, Think Guiness is ?3.20 now. Wouldn't surprise me if a large white was pushing a fiver now!

All the old skool staff (Candice (Aussie), Mari (Saffa), Alex (Yank) & Co) are alive and well, and will be chuffed to hear that people spoke highly of them. I don't really go in so much myself now, as it was mainly about seeing those guys, but it's still my gavourite pub in the area, and it's nice to see some (long overdue) work being done to the place!!!

I popped in to the CPT last night, and met the new manager Chris, and a new aussie barmaid Rachel, and they both seemed really nice. Chris was saying he intends to get some music in there, and is planning on some BBQs outside!

Regarding the price of a pint in the CPT, the infamous "tie" to where you can purchase your stock is still strongly in force.

Tenants of the "pubcos" can buy in almost anything on the market; most real ales are available. But they have to buy through the pub company, ie the people from whom they rent the premises. The mark-up by the new "brewery" is quite remarkable: 40-50% in some cases of draught beers. For Stella, a working gross profit requires a retail of ?3.66. Not very viable in todays market. If a landlord is lucky enough to be in an area that can sustain that price level, then the return whammy is a high rent and very high business rate. I used to frequent the CPT and liked the unspoilt saloon bar. It was traditional 50's/60's decor; which I like. It's damn sad that "pubs" (not pseudo restaurant-pub hybrids) are going into extinction. So it goes, as Vonnegut said.

I think ?3.50 a pint is about right? I can't think of anywhere other than grotpubs where it is much cheaper. I believe that future for pure 'drinking' pubs is not so great. If you want to attract families, couples or groups, you need variance.

I am willing to pay a few quid move over a night out to sit in pleasant surroundings that have been cared for. Sounds like this guy has a plan to try and turn the CPT into a more interesting place with wider appeal. In order to attract people up from the lane they need to offer something different. Good on him. I shall swing by this week and sup a few.

The sign outside saying 'No, dirty working clothes, no children, no pets, no ugly people etc' was absent the other day. Does this mean there has been a shift in policy? I hope so. Talk about biting off your nose to spite your face.