Forum Sponsors

Your Local Personal Trainer

http://www.ellyallen.com/

www.facebook.com/dulwichecogardening

Advertise here

The East Dulwich Forum
Would you recommend your builder, plumber, electrician or carpenter?
Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3536373839404142434445...LastNext
Current Page: 40 of 50
messageRe: New Shops in Dulwich / Peckham
Posted by 14 February, 2017 06:56

Seems a shame to open a vet on a main high street, would have been a great spot for a new independent restaurant.

John Barnett live on... Who knew!

Thanks
Jake

Posted by Jeremy 14 February, 2017 09:24

I think we have enough restaurants already though - and there are already (at least) two new restaurants in the works in ED.

John Barnett is an excellent shop, especially for kids. If they really are expanding, then it's well deserved.

Posted by Cardelia 14 February, 2017 09:28

John Barnett have expanded a little out back and they're taking the opportunity to have a complete refit of the main store as well. The plan is to reopen in 4 weeks, but obviously this depends on the builders sticking to the schedule.

Posted by dc 14 February, 2017 10:22

Jeremy Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I think we have enough restaurants already though
> - and there are already (at least) two new
> restaurants in the works in ED.

Interesting. At least one application on Lordship Lane has been refused on the grounds that a change of use (A1 to A3) "would increase the number of non-retail uses to an unacceptable level resulting in material harm to the retail character and vitality of the shopping parade".

Posted by Jeremy 14 February, 2017 10:58

We ate in Pizza Pickup on the weekend. Quite nice pizzas.. crispy and thin, rather than the chewier sourdough type. Will be going back, and TBH I much preferred it to a certain other new pizza place nearby. Although perhaps a little expensive.. IMO.

Posted by rahrahrah 17 February, 2017 13:47

Wrote:
> Seems a shame to open a vet on a main high street,
> would have been a great spot for a new independent
> restaurant.

It's a shame that they had to move from their current location opposite the park. It'll be much more difficult to take the cat there without parking.

Posted by Phlox 17 February, 2017 15:28

The vet has two other branches, you could go there if you want to park.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit was 2017:02:17:15:50:57 by Phlox.

Posted by Louisa 17 February, 2017 16:08

There's a bigger branch of the same vet in Penge with a big Sainsbury's with car park opposite side of road.

Louisa.

Posted by Toffee 17 February, 2017 16:38

Rather than a vets it would be wonderful to have a pet store, since the one on Northcross Road closed.

Posted by Nigello 17 February, 2017 17:22

Cafe Viva has closed and has been for about two weeks at least. It is going to reopen as an extension to Miss Tapas and will service breakfasts which will be both British and Spanish, according to the (Spanish) man at Miss Tapas today.

Posted by nxjen 17 February, 2017 17:28

Nigello Wrote:
> Cafe Viva has closed and has been for about two
> weeks at least. It is going to reopen as an
> extension to Miss Tapas and will service
> breakfasts which will be both British and Spanish,
> according to the (Spanish) man at Miss Tapas
> today.

The guy who owned the pet shop in North Cross Road told me it had been a struggle for a while, he was unable to compete with the supermarkets and online so I guess running a pet shop is just not viable these days. Shame, there are very few pet shops about now.

Posted by Jeremy 17 February, 2017 17:29

Nigello Wrote:
> It is going to reopen as an extension to Miss Tapas

Silver lining, then. Miss Tapas is pretty decent.

Posted by Toffee 17 February, 2017 17:40

Nilen. I agree, such a shame all of these independent shops are going. With the hike on business tax, sadly only the giants will survive

Posted by Sazzle30 17 February, 2017 18:00

The vets aren't moving from their location by the park. The branch on lordship lane is in addition - I asked the receptionist at the neighbourhood vet when I was last there.

Posted by Louisa 17 February, 2017 18:36

Anyone know when Turtle Bay will be opening their new branch in Peckham? A planning application went through but no news yet.

Also, the mini Sainsbury's in Dulwich Village will NOT be going ahead. Dulwich Society says the estate is actively looking for a permananent supermarket option, but an extension will be added at the back to give more shop floor space. In the meantime a pop up boutique, independent, will be taking on the space.

Louisa.

Posted by rahrahrah 17 February, 2017 20:59

The vets is definitely moving. I spoke to them today

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit was 2017:02:18:18:39:27 by rahrahrah.

Posted by Nigello 18 February, 2017 14:28

The pop-up shop of which Louisa writes will be for women's clothing, according to the painter/decorator who was there early this morning.

Posted by spark67 19 February, 2017 09:46

Vets definitely closing on the Rye, Spoke to one of the founders and they have to move as the building is being demolished... we have already started using the Crofton park one, easy to park by, and better for us travel wise from where we live then going to Lordship lane.
I think it will be a great addition to the lane though, especially if it stills sells pet food and products like the PR one.

Posted by Toffee 19 February, 2017 16:42

Hi lousia went to the new turtle bay in Croydon last week. Amazing. I had corn fritters, curry goat, cocktails. They do veggie options.enjoy.xx

Posted by Abe_froeman 19 February, 2017 18:09

The shop where Jacksons was nextdoor to Chener Books seems to be empty this weekend. Closed down or just a refurbishment I wonder?

Posted by shell 21 February, 2017 11:37

Green Cuisine is up for rent ... 55k a year??! East Dulwich is doomed if landlords are allowed to be this mercenary. How can anyone but huge chains possibly survive let alone thrive?

Posted by early_doors 04 March, 2017 02:33

Brick House Bakery is opening a new cafe/bar by Peckham Rye station this month. It's in the old Baba unit.

Posted by jimmyraj 04 March, 2017 08:37

early_doors Wrote:
> Brick House Bakery is opening a new cafe/bar by
> Peckham Rye station this month. It's in the old
> Baba unit.

Really? Now that is good news!

Posted by jimlad48 04 March, 2017 16:01

On Vestry Road in Camberwell, a new middle eastern cafe has opened up that does excellent and good value food like meze and baklava - i have not been yet but my other half is raving about it. Its slightly off usual beaten track for footfall but is well worth a visit.

Posted by Bagpipes 05 March, 2017 10:14

Not ED or Peckham but Nape is a wine bar & charcuterie on Camberwell Church St that's just opened where the old library used to be.

Posted by PK36 07 March, 2017 09:59

Sticking with the recent Camberwell focus, there is a new caf/bar/roastery due to open at the end of March. Called Spike and Earl it is another venture by Peckham's Old Spike Roastery. It will be in the old Southwark Town Hall building which has recently been redeveloped into student accommodation.

Posted by DaveR 07 March, 2017 11:28

I had really good pizza at Pizza Pickup on Rye Lane - thinner and crispier than the Naples/sourdough style at a lot of other local places. They seem to be very quiet, which is a shame, and a bit of a surprise given the number of decent food places in the immediate area.

Posted by alex_b 16 March, 2017 16:20

early_doors Wrote:
> Brick House Bakery is opening a new cafe/bar by
> Peckham Rye station this month. It's in the old
> Baba unit.

It opened this week (card only and limited menu) and signs said a larger breakfast/lunch/dinner menu coming soon. I had a pastry and coffee this morning and it was really good. It only has bar stools/counters so probably wont be taking custom from Andersons & co but a great takeaway option.

Posted by antantant 16 March, 2017 16:27

There is a new gift / book shop in Nunhead called Material near Nisa. Some really interesting books in there, and some qwirky kids books too.

well worth a look.

Posted by DulwichMassive 17 March, 2017 23:10

Does anyone know what is happening to the Nina Christie shop on Lordship Lane?

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3536373839404142434445...LastNext
Current Page: 40 of 50

Back to top of page
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Donate                   Terms of use                  Help & FAQs                   Advertise               RSS rss feed               Copyright 2006 - 2018 East Dulwich Forum