Forum Sponsors

www.facebook.com/dulwichecogardening
xxxx
www.advancedpainters.co.uk

Glazer Delmar

Advertise here

The East Dulwich Forum
The Bishop, The EDT, The Great Exhibition, the Actress or another?
Goto Page: Previous12345678
Current Page: 8 of 8
messageRe: Dulwich Estate - fit to run conservation?
Posted by Metallic July 08, 10:21AM

It's in the detail. You would have had to tease out info at the exhibitions.

Posted by 73jem July 08, 12:14PM

to be fair to the Estate, they do seem to accept the need for a convenience store in the village and still expect the arrival of such a store by ?September. I suspect that the site at number 88 could more easily have been let to yet another coffee shop and am relieved that a convenience store is still planned.
Meanwhile newspapers can be ordered and delivered by the Red Apple store opposite the Library, they are very efficient [papers come early ] and reliable.

Posted by mikeb July 08, 01:25PM

I'm pretty cynical about development in general and the Estate in particular. But these proposals look pretty good to me, at least on a quick look. Street retail needs to respond to online competition.

Posted by gkb July 08, 07:25PM

They (Dulwich Estates)have been promising a convenience store in Dulwich Village well before the previous one closed (Shepards) which I imagine is nearly three years - I will believe it when it happens! in the meantime more vehicles clogging up the road as people drive or get basic food delivered. The footfall of a convenience shop was also promised to support the new butchers, and all the other shops. We are all fed up with waiting and being fobbed off with another ridiculous excuse for a convenience shop not opening.

Posted by Metallic July 09, 12:39PM

Simply Fresh has had the lease for over a year and yet they haven't even started a shopfit or applied for an alcohol licence. Shepherd's were paying 48k rent and the Estate wanted 80k, so no wonder they left - and would a Simply Fresh make enough profit? Doubt it.

Posted by Zig-Zag July 09, 05:04PM

I live in West Dulwich and dismayed to discover there will be now be 2 orthodontists within a few metres of each other. How useful NOT! And another Yoga place along with the new one in Dulwich Village. Very unbalanced range of outlets in my opinion. However I do like the plaza idea at the crossroads in West dulwich.

Posted by Metallic July 09, 05:42PM

At least you have somewhere to buy basic provisions!

Posted by gkb July 10, 12:51AM

Apparently, Harvey Wheeler the estate agent moved out further down the row of shops to enable the ex-Audi dealership premises to be enlarged to give more space for a potential convenience store/supermarket and STILL no supermarket or convenience shop wants to move in! It must be the ridiculous rents that are putting shops off - what else could it be?

Posted by philosophie July 10, 08:38AM

Metallic Wrote:
----------------------------------------------
>
> The CE Simone (whoever)is going to make the place
> like Borough Market and not a place you could just
> go to a shop to buy some eggs and a newspaper.
> At present you need to get the bus or brave being
> mugged in the park to get to Sainsbury's at the
> Plough.

'brave being mugged in the park'...?

Posted by Metallic July 11, 11:35AM

On the plan it is marked out for another restaurant and as the Ivy Cafe Group was sniffing round earlier this year .............

Posted by Metallic July 11, 11:37AM

Yes - pluck up the courage to go through and avoid the odd group of boys on bikes. Even if they are mostly robbing young people, you would feel you would have to intervene and help if it happened near to you.

Posted by mikeb July 11, 11:47AM

Wonder if the Estate is responding with rent rises to try to counter falling valuations driven by higher yields. Obviously doesn't work but you might try if you thought it was under-rented

Goto Page: Previous12345678
Current Page: 8 of 8

Back to top of page
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Donate                   Terms of use                  Help & FAQs                   Advertise               RSS rss feed               Copyright 2006 - 2018 East Dulwich Forum