We are trialing a dedicated East Dulwich COVID-19 Area on the forum here - please keep it useful.

Forum Sponsors

www.takeflightacademy.co.uk

All Round Renovation

http://www.ellyallen.com/

Advertise here

The East Dulwich Forum
Which pubs, bars, restaurants and take-aways do you avoid?
Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3536373839404142434445
Current Page: 45 of 45
messageRe: Consultation on ‘improving’ the junction of East Dulwich Grove, Townley Road and Green Dale
Posted by Curmudgeon 24 October, 2015 16:23

Townleygreen Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Curmudgeon, the council were going to cut the
> lollipop people from that junction 4 or 5 years
> ago. A local campaign and demonstration
> successfully prevented that.
> I can't explain how you haven't registered their
> presence though!

I pass it between 3.10 and 3.20 most school days when there are copious Charter School students around and that was the first time I have noticed one

messageRe: Consultation on ‘improving’ the junction of East Dulwich Grove, Townley Road and Green Dale
Posted by QueenMab 24 October, 2015 20:10

Well I've been taking my son to school via that junction every day for the last year and a half and they have been there every day...!

Posted by edhistory 26 October, 2015 08:17

Posted by mlteenie 12 November, 2015 17:22

Not sure whether anyone has already made this comment, but I doubt I am alone.

Another reason this junction is worse (especially for cyclists) is that because of the removal of the refuge at the lights on Townley and the new stop line for the traffic coming uphill on EDG there is now a large space at the junction.

Three times in the last month I have turned right from Townley, aiming then to do a right into Hillsboro Road and upon checking over my shoulder I have discovered a motorist attempting to overtake me on the right in the aforementioned gap. I am a cycling instructor and well aware of how to play this rather tricky manouevre, but when riding in the correct position the new layout allows dim-witted/impatient drivers to take misguided liberties. Fortunately with firm hand gestures I have not had an accident, but I am concerned for any cyclist doing the same turns. I even saw a cyclist turn right onto EDG and rather than take the correct route, rode down the oncoming cycle lane before entering Hillsboro. Whad a twad!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit was 2015:11:13:09:51:22 by mlteenie.

Posted by Tessmo 13 November, 2015 15:44

It's hard to decide whether the final design of the new junction will be better or worse for cyclists and pedestrians because the lights still aren't right, and the new cycling features are still missing. From what I've heard, this is all down to TfL. Why the delay? Isn't safety at this junction important?

Posted by Curmudgeon 26 November, 2015 18:54

QueenMab Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Well I've been taking my son to school via that
> junction every day for the last year and a half
> and they have been there every day...!

I've been purposefully looking out for lollipop man / woman the last couple of weeks and not seen one between 3.10 and 3.20 ...just the charter students...maybe s/he comes later?

Posted by Asset 30 November, 2015 13:08

They start at 3.30

Posted by Curmudgeon 30 November, 2015 15:44

So Charter School students are not part of the requirement for lollipop on that horrible junction, because there are always Charter students there as they get out earlier

Interesting

Posted by BrandNewGuy 30 November, 2015 16:19

Well, that's probably because Alleyns and JAGS have junior schools. I suspect it's thought that 11-year-olds and older don't need crossing wardens. Maybe not so interesting.

Posted by Curmudgeon 30 November, 2015 16:40

I don't think it is meant to be a primary aged service but rather up to the authority to determine need

As a parent I would imagine the need is greater for the final years of primary and the first years of secondary when children are more likely to be crossing unaccompanied

I still find this junction one of the most dangerous to cross as a pedestrian and to drive through

Posted by intexasatthe moment 30 November, 2015 17:07

I must say it would seem sensible ,given that there is a crossing patrol there,that the times were extended to cover Charter School times .

Posted by Bicknell 25 May, 2016 16:06

Just found this on Southwark's website. Three items right at the bottom

[www.southwark.gov.uk]

Posted by Curmudgeon 27 May, 2016 21:18

Did I miss a comment on the appallingly tight left hand turn from townley into east dulwuch grove ...the one that has cars and coaches swinging out into the path of oncoming traffic?

Is that not an area of safety concern at all?

Edit ..oh I see it ...it is supposedly not an issue, in the right place and due to positioning of cars on approach to junction and it is all ok

In reality it is so far from being ok it is laughable

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit was 2016:05:27:21:22:02 by Curmudgeon.

Posted by DadOf4 14 June, 2016 11:43

waking this thread up

I seem to remember that there were some additions to this junction for cycle safety that were to be put in once TFL granted approval.
Do I remember that right.

My view of the 200k spent on this junction: its made it a more pleasant pedestrian experience, and could have increased safety on that front (although those coaches mounting the pavement every day may counter that)

As far as cyclist safety (which was one of the big drivers and heavily debated) - nada. I still regularly see traffic turning into the path of cyclists coming from Greendale direction.

Posted by mikeb 14 June, 2016 14:08

Is there any indication that Aecom actually drove through the junction at all? I fail to see how anyone turning left at this junction could believe it is a well-planned turn.

Also, there is no real reason why this shouldn't be two lanes at the end, enabling cars turning right not to block the predominant flow of traffic turning left. Finally there is probably one too many crossings - the one between the junction and the zebra crossing is probably unnecessary.

Google streetview still shows this junction prior to Southwark's balls-up...

And if you go further back on Streetview, you can still see when the primary route went along Calton Avenue.

[www.google.co.uk]

Posted by rendelharris 14 June, 2016 15:00

DadOf4 Wrote:

> As far as cyclist safety (which was one of the big
> drivers and heavily debated) - nada. I still
> regularly see traffic turning into the path of
> cyclists coming from Greendale direction.

I regularly cross this junction from Greendale to Townley Road and I must say the "cycle only" light on Greendale is a great help for safety, enabling me to get across the junction before the Townley Road traffic is released. The one thing I would say is that the hold isn't long enough, unless one's really on the ball, in the right gear and quite strong the right turning traffic is released before one can get across, a few more seconds' delay would make a notable difference.

Posted by wulfhound 15 June, 2016 15:39

Went that way this morning in the rush hour - the entire 3 seconds of cycle green light exiting Townley, there were cars turning R from EDG to Townley blocking the junction. Eight or ten cyclists with a green light and nowhere to go. Outside the rush hour it's not nearly so bad.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3536373839404142434445
Current Page: 45 of 45

Back to top of page
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Donate                   Terms of use                  Help & FAQs                   Advertise               RSS rss feed               Copyright 2006 - 2018 East Dulwich Forum