Forum Sponsors

All Round Renovation

www.clintonmckenzie.com

www.no-flies.co.uk

Advertise here

The East Dulwich Forum
Which pubs, bars, restaurants and take-aways do you avoid?
Goto Page: 1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 1 of 20
messageAircraft noise -
Posted by lparsons 02 February, 2015 06:52

Does anyone know if there has been change in terms of London flight paths, last night we heard plane after plane never heard them at ours before ?

messageRe: Aircraft noise -
Posted by lparsons 02 February, 2015 09:22

We are on Crebor Street (near Dunstans Road) - anyone else noticing this change or does it come and go ?

Posted by edcam 02 February, 2015 09:37

Just what we need, another thread about aircraft noise.

Posted by henryb 02 February, 2015 09:56

lparsons Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> We are on Crebor Street (near Dunstans Road) -
> anyone else noticing this change or does it come
> and go ?

It comes and goes for us. The flight paths vary depending on conditions.

Have you seen these sites?

[www.heathrowairport.com]

[hacan.org.uk]

Posted by lparsons 02 February, 2015 10:03

I see after having a hunt around I can see this an exhausted topic! Had no idea, never noticed it before certainly not in our new flat so wanted check if it was a new thing, bit annoying. (particularly last night)

They must vary the paths so thats the first time we noticed,
L

Posted by Fafanoo 03 February, 2015 17:25

I could ahve sworn there was a bigger thread on this topic already.

Posted by Dog duck 03 February, 2015 18:26

edcam Wrote:
> Just what we need, another thread about aircraft
> noise.

Totally agree... I lived in Kew for 20 yrs and that's where you get proper aircraft noise... sick of this pointless bleeting about flight paths etc

Posted by newboots 03 February, 2015 19:12

The planes seemed particularly noisy and particularly early this morning!

Did you not see that op apologised for duplicating the topic Dog duck? If you think another thread "bleeting (sic) about flight paths" is pointless then why did you click on it? Presumably just so that you could have a go at someone who has inadvertently committed an EDF faux pas?

You know that Admin will lounge or lock the thread sooner or later.

Posted by henryb 03 February, 2015 23:41

When I lived in Acton the bleating about air-craft noise was far worst than it is here. Every morning at 4am I used to log to some website to find out yet another person had complained about it. It used to drive me nuts.

Posted by JohnL 04 February, 2015 08:01

Planes are directly overhead but can't hear them.

Too much traffic noise to notice smiling smiley

Posted by KirstyH 07 April, 2015 21:04

The first lovely lovely evening of spring, and the question in my mind is whether it is reasonable or unreasonable to have zero respite from plane noise, whatever time of day it occurs? I thought 20 planes an hour were the max allowed but they have been going over constantly this evening. Did anyone else notice this?

Airport decisions are highly commercial, and political, as far as I can see. It's not bleating it is about reasonable decisions. I was driven inside.

PS I searched EDF on 'plane' and this was the first thread that came up, happy to get redirected to a link and I might learn how flight paths & frequency can occur like this evening.

Posted by James Barber 08 April, 2015 09:10

Hi KirstyH,
If the noise troubles you then please consider joining HACAN who campaign to reduce the noise impact of Heathrow and HACAN East who campaign against the noisei mpact of London City Airport.

And the balance between all interested parties in when, where and how noisy planes fly over us is entirely political.

--------------------
Regards jamesvbarber@gmail.com
former Liberal Democrat Councillor for East Dulwich Ward (2006-2018)
[www.jamesbarber.org.uk]
[twitter.com]

Posted by Salsaboy 08 April, 2015 10:20

I did notice it was very very noisy this morning with aircraft noise. Mind you I was at Heathrow collecting my daughter.

Posted by BigED 08 April, 2015 10:53

This thread seems a bit - well, lifeless. While there has been plenty of sniping about previous extensive threads on the subject of aircraft noise (which helps me get back to sleep so I can't see what the fuss is about anyway), the discussion is lacking a bit of oomph. Maybe some reference to, I don't know, newbies perhaps, or @#$%&. Where have you gone dear Louisa? East Dulwich turns its lonely eyes to you...

Posted by Nutmeg 11 April, 2015 09:44

I was surprised to find threads on aircraft noise as its never bothered me before (after 9 years in ED) but I was woken up this morning by a low flying aircraft at 6.15 and then there was a succession of them so I thought I'd see if anyone else noticed a particular problem this morning?

Posted by DulwichFox 11 April, 2015 09:56

Aircraft have to fly over someone's home.. Especially when landing.

Anyone who has ever flown has absolutely no right to complain about Aircraft noise.

So get over it.

DulwichFox

Posted by hopskip 11 April, 2015 10:44

How do airports choose and get approval for their routing. Agree of course they need to fly somewhere. On what basis are these routes authorised. I did see some passing statement in a Dulwich Society email that City Airport's routing had recently changed without any announcements and that this was to be investigated. Not seen anything since tho.

Posted by edcam 11 April, 2015 10:55

DulwichFox Wrote:
> Aircraft have to fly over someone's home..
> Especially when landing.
>
> Anyone who has ever flown has absolutely no
> right to complain about Aircraft noise.
>
> So get over it.

Couldn't agree more. There are much more pressing things to worry about.
> DulwichFox

Posted by Nutmeg 11 April, 2015 21:47

yes of course there are but why is it that the people who feel there are so many more pressing things to worry about are the very ones who choose to waste their time commenting on these things!

Posted by edcam 12 April, 2015 00:18

Well because it's a forum, where people comment on things etc.

Nutmeg Wrote:
> yes of course there are but why is it that the
> people who feel there are so many more pressing
> things to worry about are the very ones who choose
> to waste their time commenting on these things!

Posted by DollyDee 12 April, 2015 11:59

Perhaps the people here complaining about anyone wanting to discuss the noise (again) should draw up a list of things we are allowed to talk or not talk about with others living locally. Would that make things easier? Or perhaps if you don't want to discuss aircraft noise you should just not click on the link and let the rest of us get on with it.

I've often wanted to discuss the aircraft noise on here but know it is pointless with others trying to derail the conversation just because the noise isn't a problem to them (well good for you) or they clearly have more important things to talk about.

Posted by DulwichFox 12 April, 2015 15:38

Well on occasion (Quite regularly) they do literally fly directly over my house.

If I'm indoors and the windows are closed I don't hear them. 'Double Glazing'

The only time they ever wake me up is in the summer if I leave my bedroom window open.
That is Very rarely.

DulwichFox

Posted by geh 12 April, 2015 21:59

constant planes right now. It never used to be like this! I don't sleep with my windows closed I have them open. The sooner Boris is PM and builds the estuary airport the better!!

Posted by edcam 12 April, 2015 23:26

Of course you're allowed to complain about it, just as others are allowed to comment that it isn't a problem.

DollyDee Wrote:
> Perhaps the people here complaining about anyone
> wanting to discuss the noise (again) should draw
> up a list of things we are allowed to talk or not
> talk about with others living locally. Would that
> make things easier? Or perhaps if you don't want
> to discuss aircraft noise you should just not
> click on the link and let the rest of us get on
> with it.
>
> I've often wanted to discuss the aircraft noise on
> here but know it is pointless with others trying
> to derail the conversation just because the noise
> isn't a problem to them (well good for you) or
> they clearly have more important things to talk
> about.

Posted by shaunag 13 April, 2015 00:30

I saw a plane yesterday flying what I perceived as really low (could make out the windows); maybe a flight path has changed bringing the planes lower and making them louder. I have new double glazing in my bathroom And could still hear the planes at 6am this morning...

Posted by DulwichFox 13 April, 2015 19:52

geh Wrote:
> constant planes right now. It never used to be
> like this! I don't sleep with my windows closed I
> have them open. The sooner Boris is PM and builds
> the estuary airport the better!!

Well first the Tories have to win the General Election and then wait 5 years for Boris to become party leader
and the Tories win the election in 2020 ??

And any way it would probably take 10 - 15 years to build if it ever went ahead.
... and Boris would have more important things to worry about. Like who to have a War with. ??

All Prime Ministers have to have Their own war.

DulwichFox

Posted by hopskip 13 April, 2015 22:41

here it is - Nov 2014 Dulwich Society e-newsletter

Dulwich Society eNews No. 13 ĖNovember 2014
London City Airport and proposed controversial flight path changes: The London Assembly has
called on London City Airport to re-consult on its plans to concentrate its flight paths. The LCA is
planning to concentrate its flights paths in and out of the airport but has refused to leaflet or hold
public meetings in the areas affected, it has simply put technical information on its website. Dulwich
is amongst the areas that will be affected by the likely increase in flight frequency and consequent noise.

Posted by hopskip 13 April, 2015 22:53

[www.hacaneast.org.uk]
read this thread.

We should work out (quickly) how to start a petition for Dulwich; to ask the Dulwich Community Council and Dulwich Society to campaign for Dulwich?

The Dulwich Society has a Transport Committee to take up such concerns. Its AGM is the 27th April and this could be raised as a question.

Posted by stephent 14 April, 2015 12:14

Boris recently vetoed the proposed expansion of City Airport (partially on noise grounds) - are these flight path changes still going to go ahead?

Posted by fazer71 27 April, 2015 21:13

As Per Other Aircraft NOISE threads on this forum.

The Aircraft over ED DV and WD has increased as Heathrow have narrowed the flight path which was previously over the Thames and Canary Warf Bermondsey etc IE further North.
As the flight path has narrowed and moved south WE are now DIRECTLY under the Heathrow flight path and aircraft start to fly over from 5.30 am.

There was a public meeting in Brockley with Heathrow representatives which confirmed a huge increase in complaints since the changes were implemented.

Having lived in the area all my life and having sat in the same garden all my life I can confirm prior to 2011 there were NO low flying aircraft over ED.

Further there have been changes to Jet engines which makes the current design prone to a high pitched whistle in certain atmospheric conditions which will drive the noise downward as the slow and itís at a level which can become noticeable to some people more than others. Double glazing makes little difference as the pitch isnít contained through DG and Glass.

Those who donít hear the aircraft are often buffered by the position of buildings and the sound doesnít reflect others may find the noise is increased due to the same factors living at the rear of a building for example.

There is no solution I have tried ear plugs of every type but after 4 hours they become painful and I wake up anyway noise machines which produce white noise donít work as the jet frequency isnít masked.

I have become used to the noise to some degree and accept there is little I can do but there are mornings where the combination of atmospheric conditions and intense concentration of flights and the time between them becomes unbearable so I get up and go for a run.

The upside is I am now fitter than at any point in my life but I must get to bed pretty early as I wake up at 5.30 6.00 am almost every day.

Meditation is worth a try, it has also helped me.

We live in an insane world where having a problem OTHERS donít have or notice, is a problem Ö for them Ö bizarre !

Goto Page: 1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 1 of 20

Back to top of page
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Donate                   Terms of use                  Help & FAQs                   Advertise               RSS rss feed               Copyright 2006 - 2018 East Dulwich Forum