The favourite trees of Dulwich

I'm looking for truly great trees to photograph for a design project related to this site - all shall be revealed soon. Said tree has to be in East Dulwich and accessible, preferably with some space around it. If there's a story which goes with the liking of a tree then all the better. :)

The one near the cafe in the park is quite good - and has plenty of space around it... I know, I know... 'that one in the park' doesn't sound very specific, but you'll know which one I mean when you see it. It's just past the cafe on the way to the pond... lake... whatever.

Thanks for the munkey puzzle tip off Huguenot, that's challenged my search somewhat having a thought previously of oaks and the like - interesting. And James, Honor Oak is a bit off piste for my purposes - you see I'm developing design ideas for the pagehead of this site (in conjunction with the Administrator) so trees used as reference need to mean something to users of this site. Ta anyway. Any more out there?

Is that tree still behind the cafe in dulwich park that all the kids love climbing on?

This time of year any of the horse chestnut trees are magnificnt and they look great this year-last year they had a bad time with fungus and viruses and whatever.

Lovely Judas tree flowering right now at entrance of JAGS. I like that.

The Cherry tree pub.

Gawd Bless its memory Guv'nor. Propa sarf London No Nonsense traditional pub.Could be a bit rough, but you could leave your doors open in them days. the Great Train robbers had their celebratory drink in the pub after the job.gentlemen the lot of them.Tough but fair they was.

The tree reputed to be associated with William Blake is usually thought to be the Holm Oak to the south of the Sexby Garden

this is actually the daughter of said tree and is believed to be popular with the gentle folk, The Oak on one Tree Hill is Not the original tree of Elizabeth but was planted in its place. The ornamental cherrys in the roads of North Cross Road are especially fine but have past there best. Also in Sydenham woods there are some fine specimens the great Cedar of Lebanon is a great tree. Top of landells road cotains a small tree with mistletoe growing in it although haven't visited there recently

On my walk to Bellenden Road from Peckham Rye station (strictly not ED -but a lovely tree nonetheless) is my favourite tree - i noticed it a couple of weeks ago. Not much space around it, but it's lovely. It's in someone's front garden and it's about two thirds of the way down , on the right hand side of Chadwick Road, towards Bellenden Road (from PR station). It's might be a blue jacaranda tree - or soemthing like that with lovely blue flowers.

• 2 weeks later...

missd - I'm not botanist but if the one you're referring to is in the front garden of 44 Chadwick Rd then I think that's a (fine example of a) Ceanothus shrub. I only know this because my partner's mother and stepdad "kitted out" our tiny garden as a housewarming present (back in 1999 for those obsessed the the length of time people have lived here) and put one of those in! Ours is nothing like that beautiful one though. Think it's something to do with the fact that they struggle for the light; so ours looks all straggly where its base is in the shade behind a fence but quite glorious above it (particularly at this time of year)!!

Jacarandas are absolutely beautiful though - I think there's a fine one somewhere on Brixton Hill near that major junction with Christchurch Road and Streatham Place (also near an amazing cedar of some description)!

Told you I was no botanist!