Freeview Problems Anyone?

Just wondering if anyone in the Dunstans / Goodrich / Overhill / Underhill area has trouble with freeview reception? I've tried two different boxes, a no name one and a good Phillips one, two different ariels and two different t.v.'s... Anyone have problems in this area? The best signal I could tune in was two channels with white lines on screen...

Would I be right in thinking that this migth be to do with proximity to the transmitter - if so maybe an attenuator in between the antenna and the box might work to prevent it being overdriven?

Or did I read somewhere else that dawson heights basically puts this area in a reception shadow and so the signal is too weak?

It basically reduces the signal power coming down your wire to make it more manageable for the receiving equipment. I would imagine modern stuff should have automatic attenuation built in but you never know. Imagine having a stereo which could produce unlimited volume through your speakers with no distortion.. if you turned it up really loud you wouldn't actually be able to hear it properly because your ears couldn't cope with the level of sound output - turned down to a more sensible level they would be fine again... its a bit like that.

I had problems with freeview when using indoor aerials, could only get two channels and even then the quality was awful but as soon as we got an external one put up the reception for both was fine. Aerial engineer who came said the indoor aerials don't work so I took one of them back to Currys and the spotty sales boy said exactly the same thing that they get loads returned and the only way to get good coverage is to use an external.

Freeview and TopUpTV: I would not recommend it.

1) Nothing wrong with my bank account but unlike everyother creditor I have a direct debit with, TopUpTV tells me there are problems accessing the money.

2) You can not say which programmes they record for you, they record a selection they think you'd like from the channels you choose.

3) When you choose to record a program yourself, when I look it has recorded something else entirely (even tho I pressed "record" over the written details of the program I wanted!).

OK so this is TopUpTV which you can only get through Freeview. Freeview itself may be okay.

I continually have problems with mine. The outdoor aerial was a load of trouble, so started to use an old inside one and have experienced better service, though sometimes I have to change the direction of the thing. Seems to have a mind of its own.

It's pretty hopeless. Digital TV may the future, but any problem and you get no picture at all. Many a time, the picture on old stylee TV is just as good, even I do miss Bid Up TV and the zillionth repeat of Two Pints.

• 4 weeks later...
Is the list of all the channels detected during the scan? That suggests to me that you're getting a marginal signal on all but the two multiplexes the BBC are on (http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/terrestrial/mux/#). I'm fortunate enough to be able to use a set-top aerial, and if any multiplexes are undetected during a scan, or too weak, it's just been a matter of checking the aerial connection, reorienting it, or using one rather than another. I believe the signals all come from the same place, Crystal Palace.

hi indiepanda,

i have spent 5 hours today alone trying to get a decent signal, in the end opting to use the crappy cable box someone left here.

ive had 2 boxes, a media pc, 3 different outdoor and 1 indoor aerial. forget it.

thus i have accepted defeat and have 10 channels of low defeinition off cable.

grrr.