We are trialing a dedicated East Dulwich COVID-19 Area on the forum here - please keep it useful.

Forum Sponsors

http://www.ellyallen.com/

www.takeflightacademy.co.uk

www.advancedpainters.co.uk

Advertise here

The East Dulwich Forum
Which pubs, bars, restaurants and take-aways do you avoid?
messageBoris Bikes SE London!
Posted by malbourneroad 16 March, 2015 11:32

Good morning all,

If you want to see the cycle scheme extended to this part of London please complete.

With the announcement that Santander are taking over the sponsorship of the London Bike Hire scheme, it was also announced that there are to be 1,000 new docking stations. The Peckham Peculiar have launched a petition for South London to be included and if you'd like to lend your support (and send to your friends) please do as this is a chance to right the wrong of our neighbourhood being deprived this really useful service!

[www.change.org]

messageRe: Boris Bikes SE London!
Posted by rahrahrah 16 March, 2015 11:39

signed

Posted by davidq100 16 March, 2015 13:44

Signed too. Fingers crossed. Would be great (apart from the hills)

Posted by malbourneroad 16 March, 2015 13:51

It has dawned on me that the reason the bikes scheme hasn't marked its stamp on South London could be the lack of appropriate cycle lanes/blue paint. Hopefully if they do introduce the scheme down our way they’ll improve the infrastructure for all cyclists too.

Posted by MissMadMoo 16 March, 2015 14:01

Those blue lanes are lethal in the wet! better sticking to back roads than use those lanes

Posted by Jakido 16 March, 2015 14:14

This might help explain lack of bikes in SE London

[londonist.com]

Posted by rahrahrah 16 March, 2015 14:30

"The reason we have public authorities like TfL is so they can plan infrastructure that benefits the whole city, rather than just the bits where rich people live."

hmmm... not sure anyone's told Boris about this.

Posted by Countrlass22 16 March, 2015 17:50

signed
are the blue lanes extra slippery/
Peckham rye lane has cycle lane at bottom not blue wish it was hard to tell it apart from normal path walkway and no raised curb

Posted by aquarius moon 16 March, 2015 18:04

So glad I don't cycle in Peckham or I'd be running people over.

After all this time, still no-one realises it's a cycle lane.

Posted by Alec John Moore 16 March, 2015 20:26

Signed. I live in ED, take the kids to school in Camberwell and hop on the bus again to the Elephant. I've long hoped for a docking station at Camberwell Green.

Posted by spark67 17 March, 2015 07:03

furthest south I've seen near us is on thurlow street just passed the aylesbury estate, opposite the "village kebab" not that many bikes on it compared to others

Posted by KirstyH 17 March, 2015 21:53

Thanks - blue bikes (or red bikes) in SE London would be great.

On the blue cycle lane through Peckham - definitely feels safer to me (and not noticed it being slippery). However it is only 7am to 7pm Monday to Friday. I stopped to ask a taxi driver not to park in the cycle lane and he pointed to the sign... So when you might need it - in evening/night when it's dark, or at the weekend when a few more people might be tempted onto bikes, its carte blanche to drive or potentially park in them. LCC said it was probably timed with the bus lanes - but what is the point? Are all the superhighways similarly timed?

Posted by spark67 18 March, 2015 06:56

I correct myself ...the bikes are on flint street just after where Thurlow road turns into it, opposite that little row of shops "or the village" as estate agents would call it. Also there were a lot more bikes there then I thought smiling smiley

Posted by Simmon 18 March, 2015 11:17

Signed

Posted by davidq100 27 March, 2015 17:38

Looks like TFL are pretty non-committal about expanding the scheme according to this article with the "Cycling czar" Andrew Gilligan. [www.bikeradar.com]

That said there's a slight glimmer of hope in that they are 'considering' expanding to 'parts of Southwark'. Fingers crossed.

"We’re not going to expand the scheme significantly further – we are going to have incremental expansion though, what I call oozing: we’re going to expand it to the Olympic Park next year for instance, and there are demands for us to expand it to parts of Southwark, which we’re considering. But on the whole we’re not going to have any major expansions because it costs quite a lot of money and we have a very good deal with Santander, which has significantly reduced the cost to the taxpayer – and I want to spend the cycling budget on infrastructure rather than on cycle hire."

Posted by Alec John Moore 27 March, 2015 17:44

Interesting, will better infrastructure encourage more people to use their bikes more or would more Boris Bikes mean more cycling overall? Of course, we need both more bike access and better/safer routes to use them on.

Posted by monica 27 March, 2015 22:08

Signed, I hope we will in part some of the scheme, come to our part of Southwark. Seeing the scheme work so well in the Elephant and Castle, may motivate TFL into bringing the scheme, further South into the Borough.

Posted by Dun 31 March, 2015 09:50

signed

Posted by rahrahrah 31 March, 2015 10:06

This would really help link up Nunhead, Peckham and ED

Posted by DulwichFox 31 March, 2015 10:38

Linking up Nunhead, Peckham and ED ??

Why not walk. No place more than a mile away from the other.

Walking is safer... just has healthy... and if you walk you can carry shopping...

And it's FREE.. well it is at the moment until Southwark council brings out an App
that uses GPS to measure how far we all walk and charges us all for wearing out the pavements.

DulwichFox

Posted by rahrahrah 31 March, 2015 10:47

DulwichFox Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Linking up Nunhead, Peckham and ED ??
>
> Why not walk.

Sure, but point to point bike service makes it quicker / more convenient.

Back to top of page
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Donate                   Terms of use                  Help & FAQs                   Advertise               RSS rss feed               Copyright 2006 - 2018 East Dulwich Forum