Boris Bikes SE London!

Good morning all,

If you want to see the cycle scheme extended to this part of London please complete.

With the announcement that Santander are taking over the sponsorship of the London Bike Hire scheme, it was also announced that there are to be 1,000 new docking stations. The Peckham Peculiar have launched a petition for South London to be included and if you'd like to lend your support (and send to your friends) please do as this is a chance to right the wrong of our neighbourhood being deprived this really useful service!

https://www.change.org/p/boris-johnson-bring-boris-bikes-to-south-east-london?recruiter=146408470&utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=sap_share_page_twitter&utm_content=ma_sap_share2%3Ash_pa_no_fr

Thanks - blue bikes (or red bikes) in SE London would be great.

On the blue cycle lane through Peckham - definitely feels safer to me (and not noticed it being slippery). However it is only 7am to 7pm Monday to Friday. I stopped to ask a taxi driver not to park in the cycle lane and he pointed to the sign... So when you might need it - in evening/night when it's dark, or at the weekend when a few more people might be tempted onto bikes, its carte blanche to drive or potentially park in them. LCC said it was probably timed with the bus lanes - but what is the point? Are all the superhighways similarly timed?

I correct myself ...the bikes are on flint street just after where Thurlow road turns into it, opposite that little row of shops "or the village" as estate agents would call it. Also there were a lot more bikes there then I thought :)

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like TFL are pretty non-committal about expanding the scheme according to this article with the "Cycling czar" Andrew Gilligan. http://www.bikeradar.com/commuting/gear/article/bikeradar-readers-quiz-londons-cycling-commissioner-43881/

That said there's a slight glimmer of hope in that they are 'considering' expanding to 'parts of Southwark'. Fingers crossed.

"We?re not going to expand the scheme significantly further ? we are going to have incremental expansion though, what I call oozing: we?re going to expand it to the Olympic Park next year for instance, and there are demands for us to expand it to parts of Southwark, which we?re considering. But on the whole we?re not going to have any major expansions because it costs quite a lot of money and we have a very good deal with Santander, which has significantly reduced the cost to the taxpayer ? and I want to spend the cycling budget on infrastructure rather than on cycle hire."

Linking up Nunhead, Peckham and ED ??

Why not walk. No place more than a mile away from the other.

Walking is safer... just has healthy... and if you walk you can carry shopping...

And it's FREE.. well it is at the moment until Southwark council brings out an App

that uses GPS to measure how far we all walk and charges us all for wearing out the pavements.

DulwichFox