True story of an ED Pub

snorky

A Local-ish pub an its hidden but deceptively spacious workshop area went on the commericial market a while ago. Numbers in excess of ?1.2M were bandied about when the owner got some kind of outline permission for the workshop area to be converted into flats.

The interesting thing about this pub is thats it huge.Massive in fact. Its been revamped.Its had money spent on it .Its been relaunched.Its had resturants started in it and these have not survived - the owner - quite rightly IMHO - knows that the days of neighourhood pubs and old men nursing a half for 3 days dont pay the bills. The average non trendy pub grosses about ?60K a year - not much in the big scheme of things.The Freeholder has lashed out money and world all the horus to make a living, but its a losing battle and reality has to kick in at some point, as much as he loves his pub.

The same crowd go to the pub every day, its too far off the main drag to attarct new punters in any great numbers and TBH, its only the regulars who make up the customers nowadays.

So the place was put up for sale.

One day, the freeholder/ owner is sitting in his pretty much deserted pub , mid afternoon, when a gaggle of middle class female busybodies march throuh the door and demand to see the owner. When he confesses that he is indeed the owner, they thust a sheaf of papers under his nose and announce that they have x hundred signatures from "locals" and demand that the pub be withdrawn from the market and the valuable local asset be kept.It seems that thwere has been some local campaign going , unknown to the actual pub owner.

The landlord looks them up and down and asks " Who the f*ck are you lot ?"

He did not recognise any of them.

Not one of these concerned local citizens had ever stepped foot inside that pub in their entire lives.

Hello all. May I? This has to be the Oglander and the paper-thrusters will be the ever-anxious Bellenden Residents' Group. Their objection is more along the lines of the "we don't want more flats, more people, more cars" etc etc stuff than actually keeping the pub - about which they could clearly care less. In fact if there were no pub there and someone was planning to open one you can be fairly sure they'd be against that too.

I am moved to tears by your reponses to my storyette

PS - I have more than a passing aquaintance with the BRG - I cannot comment any further, as this site would probabaly be shut dowen under the obscenity laws, considering the language I may be tempted to use

"bellend" being possibly the least offensive of the filth I would use

It may be academic now, but I think with all the money gone into the Oglander one trick they missed out on was not opening it up a bit more out the front to make it look slightly less "regulars only" - but perhaps they would not have been allowed to. And re the thread header, if it had been in ED proper then I think it would have done OK. Down here I think the "nice pub" crowd (you know what I mean) head to the Gowlett if they're keeping it local, or up to LL. Oglander sort of got overlooked in between.

I remember the Oglander in the 1980's, and it was in the dying days of the traditional London boozer... Lots of characters, a piano (which was often played by uncle charlie)... roast potatoes and crisps on the bar of a sunday.. I think what destroyed the place was well, the death of half of the old timers who had been going there for years, and the isolation felt by many when it was sort of turned into a pub type tapas thing... It didnt pick a direction and go in it... oh well, bring on the flats I guess :(

When I lived near the Ivanhoe the pub was little used by the nice middle class people because it was a dump and full of "rough people". There was then news that it was to be sold as flats. The reaction of the nice middle class people? "Oh my god more parking problems!". I told one of the nice middle class people about the change of plans and the good reports of the place - the response? - "I'm still not going in there, it was always a dump".

You really cannot win.

I do see myself as middle-class however I like to think that most of the time I do not have my head up my *rse.

Class is such a total load of bo!!ocks!!! It really gets on my nerves people talking about middle class / working class..... How does one define between the 2 these days.... Money? Values? Trendy clothes? Whether you drink in The Black Cherry or The Castle? It's a big pile of sh!t.

Sorry :-$