Community Bakery?

DiD

I'm getting fed up with the price of good bread in this area up to ?4.50 and don't eat enough bread to keep my own regular starter alive. (I do bake non-sourdough, but its not as good).

Do people think there's a demand to create a community bakery where people get involved, but can then access more affordable bread? I don't want to undercut local business, but I really think that everyone should be able to buy good bread.

Baking Bread at home (one loaf) works out expensive when you consider oven gas/electric costs.

How could a community bakery work. Would need premises, and bread would need to be baked daily. ?

Sounds like a really nice idea.

Could it ever be practical ?

DulwichFox

There are no fixed ways of doing these things. We could set up a simple bread-making circle/club. Or create a community co-op which would need a space, but can be very basic. or ask to "borrow" spaces?.an oven that's lying dormant in the early hours at a school or college.

There's a bit of information here. Scroll down to the bottom, and you see the different models. Really interesting!

http://www.sustainweb.org/realbread/community_supported_baking/#what_is_csb

I come from the approach that we should imagine how it could work, rather than why it couldn't?. happy to organise a meeting if enough people are interested.

Not everyone has the same Bread Making Skills..

Mixing, Proving, Kneading etc.

Soughdough proving overnight.

People do not have the time.

Any space would need to be hygienic. The need to buy in bulk requires a safe storage area.

I have been involved with a food Co-op (organic / vegetarian)in the past 1977 ish.

Its hard work and requires a lot of dedication and commitment.

Cheaper to buy ready baked bread in bulk from a bakery and distribute to 'Bread Club Members'

Which is how our Co-Op used to work. Buy in Bulk .. distribute to members

Foxy

DiD Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I come from the approach that we should imagine

> how it could work, rather than why it couldn't?.

> happy to organise a meeting if enough people are

> interested.

Very good approach when it comes to this kind of initiative, but you're probably going against the flow on EDF.

Good luck with it.

*I tend to buy Cranks' bread from Sainsbury's (?1.45).

Andrew1011 Wrote:

> Very good approach when it comes to this kind of

> initiative, but you're probably going against the

> flow on EDF.

Slightly unfair, as there have been constructive suggestions (home bread baking circle, bulk buying co-op) at the same time.

I bought a standard white loaf from there, it was ?3.50. Good bread, they have a range of breads sourdough, whole meal and some French bread that was ?10 a stick not sure what was so special about that.

Will get my bread from there going forward now

"I come from the approach that we should imagine how it could work, rather than why it couldn't?. happy to organise a meeting if enough people are interested."

I too like this approach. I'm also up for going against the flow. I'd be happy to meet to talk about how a community bread thing might work. I also happen to have a spare breadmaker that I could contribute for community breadmaking.

just for information, there's a Real Bread Campaign event at SOAS in September that I'm hoping to go to.

http://www.sustainweb.org/realbread/uprising_2015/#tickets

There's also the Brockwell Bake Association which helps keep vintage wheat strains in production. East Dulwich has its own food co-op which could be a source of flour. They buy from Suma Wholefoods.

I'd be happy to meet to talk about how a community bread thing might work. I also happen to have a spare breadmaker that I could contribute for community breadmaking.

http://www.eastdulwichforum.co.uk/forum/read.php?5,1420002,1421725#msg-1421725

Ok.. So people saying:-

'I come from the approach that we should imagine how it could work, rather than why it couldn't?'

You have to first look at the problems so you can then find ways to eliminate them...

Then you have a clear road ahead of you.

Better than marching blindly ahead only to find problems on launch day..

How many new businesses have we seen fall into this trap. The Patch for one..

Foxy.

DiD Wrote:

> Someone sent me info on a Peckham baker who sells

> in the Aylsham centre.

>

> http://peckhampeculiar.tumblr.com/post/11574830208

> 7/peckham-baker-needs-some-dough

>

> Has anyone brought bread from there? Good? Prices?

?2.50 per loaf for lots of varieties - sourdough, rye mix, potato and rosemary, granary, wholemeal, etc. - and the baker (the French guy on the stall is one of the bakers - Manuel) will explain what's in any/every loaf, how it's made, the starter, etc.

http://www.eastdulwichforum.co.uk/forum/read.php?20,1497777,1536046#msg-1536046

check out the bread here-

http://www.flourpowercity.co.uk/whatwemake/

My partner and I discussed this a few months ago when Carnegie library was looking at ideas. It was something we wanted to suggest, but couldn't make the meetings.. I think community libraries would do well if they offered more than the norm, and this was just one of e many ideas we had in mind. not sure whether it's viable.

I love baking and have recently started to make my own bread - just simple white loaves, but baking it myself means I know exactly what goes into it. It also tastes great!

While I work full time and don't know whether I'd have time to help bake on a regular basis, I'd be happy to see how I could help / bake a few loaves for the group.

On a slightly related note, does anyone know if there is a baking group in ED? Just like minded people who share recipes/advice etc?

Thanks

Jo

JoHoops Wrote:

> On a slightly related note, does anyone know if

> there is a baking group in ED? Just like minded

> people who share recipes/advice etc?

There's a group called "band of bakers", which is kind of a baking club, meeting in various venues around the area. Not sure how active they currently are though..

https://bandofbakers.wordpress.com/

Sazzle30 Wrote:

> Sorry for the inaccurate pricing i couldn't

> remember whether it was ?2.50 or ?3.50 and being

> London I went for the higher

Understandable.

I visited Neal's Yard Cheese shop at Borough Market the other day - they have bread (from "Brick House Bakery, East Dulwich") on sale at ?5.90* per loaf. (FFS, WTF, OMG etc etc...)

Problem is, the Peckham Cart guys are not there Mon/Tues.

*As it was 5.30 they were selling it for half price so I had a perfectly acceptible loaf for ?2.95

Keep me in the loop please. I've been a sourdough baker for a few years now and love it.

As I have a small kitchen, I can't buy flour in bulk but still get 6 loaves out of a standard bag that's around ?1.70. I know how much times goes into good sourdough but given some economies of scale (you can make 10 just as easily as 1), the price of decent bread is ridiculous.