The Herne - What's Not To Love?

rob

Took Mrs Rob and Rob Jr to The Herne yesterday and it was - by some margin - the best pub lunch / environment I've been too for ages! I've banged on about it here, but, suffice to say, unless you're some sort of professional curmugeon, or you don't have kids (and if you don't - why go there anyway? There's hundreds of places for you to enjoy locally), I can't recommend it highly enough. Fantastic food, great service, great atmos, thoroughly enjoyable and very reasonably priced. Literally, hurray for The Herne.

Not sure I agree with the sentence "if you don't have kids why would you go there anyway" but apart from that I can only agree with Rob. Went down there on Sat afternoon with friends - not a child between us - and sat in the garden for 3 very blissful hours listening to the generall hubub of people (and kids). A choice of 3 very different ciders as well as ales made the drinks side spot on and although we weren't going to try the food, the smell from other tables weakened our collective will and that too was spot on.

And a shout out to the staff too who served us - it was a busy old time and they were under strain but always pleasant. Not sure if the kitchen should close at 3pm tho - that did seem a bit old school

Fair point Sean - retracted! I only mentioned that as there has been some griping on the board about kids in pubs. And I didn't mention Mrs Rob and I came together on Sat night to meet friends for a fair number of drinks and it was just as good for that too..

The Herne. Hmmmm...they run out of food every early on in the day, infact you have to pre book your food otherwise you can forget it. The last time I was in, there was a riot taking place in the telly tubby style garden and a fair few pi**ed up parents trying to keep their little darlings under controll. Not the best places to chill out.

The herne is absolutely atrocious, went in for lunch back in january hoping for something nice to eat, and after being told they didnt have two items I have requested from the menu, I was then forced to sit a table which had not been cleared or cleaned and so was forced to remove items myself and then after some effort get a member of the bar staff to get around to cleaning the table. The sandwich and chips I ordered was ok but nothing special, and the place was packed full of yummies.. I'd go back if I got a discount, but otherwise, NO!!

Well, it's in a nice location, pretty surrounding, and I had just jumped off the bus outside and was dying for a BLT with chips. I just hate being disappointed so often around ED.. Next time I shall stick to buying some soft rolls at the bakers I think!