Best restaurant in SE London?

Adam

It is not in East Dulwich but I went to Meze Mangal in Lewisham last week and it was absolutely utterly divine!

We all kept ooohhing and ahhhing over the food, they give you lots, and the price is so cheap!

It was packed and intimate, the stuff was great and it was the absolute best tasting Turkish food I have ever tried.

We all have stated that we will be going there for birthdays and special occasions now!!

Otherwise I love Springers in East Dulwich, just opposite Dulwich Hospital, it is good old English/European fare, freshly cooked, nicely presented, and reasonable priced, very nice!

Chez Bruce is definitely on Wandsworth Common & I had to book six weeks in advance to secure a table for two on a Saturday evening! It's also SW London ..17 (I think) sorry to be a pedant :)

If you want reasonably priced food in a venue that would suit a big group, what about Hisars.. barbeque food without the stress of cooking it yourself & afterwards there are the delights of the Lane... Black Cherry (for a champagne cocktail or the 'Zombie' of which you are only allowed two per person per night due to the high alcohol content!!!!) Liqorish (for a bit of a boogie) then home! There, that's your night sorted. Hope you have a great time whatever you end up doing :)-D

ceefer99 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Chez Bruce is definitely on Wandsworth Common & I

> had to book six weeks in advance to secure a table

> for two on a Saturday evening! It's also SW London

> ..17 (I think) sorry to be a pedant :)

xxxxxxx

Also being a pedant, it's actually SW18 - my parents used to live just up the road :)

Sue Wrote:

> ceefer99 Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > Chez Bruce is definitely on Wandsworth Common &

> I

> > had to book six weeks in advance to secure a

> table

> > for two on a Saturday evening! It's also SW

> London

> > ..17 (I think) sorry to be a pedant :)

>

> xxxxxxx

>

> Also being a pedant, it's actually SW18 - my

> parents used to live just up the road :)

Why thank you, Sue, for the correction but I did say 'I think' the postcode was SW17... :))

I'd suggest a couple of options....we eat at these places regularly and are foodies....each of them is relaxed.

1. Good Gastro Pubs: The Rye (but not if your party is bigger than 8) or The Palmerston. The Rosendale is very good, but a tadge pricey.

2. Good Italian: Si Mangia...this is great for occasions and larger groups.....great food and great staff mean you can't go far wrong....very reasonable and great for veggies

I'd suggest a couple of options....we eat at these places regularly and are foodies....each of them is relaxed.

1. Good Gastro Pubs: The Rye (but not if your party is bigger than 8) or The Palmerston. The Rosendale is very good, but a tadge pricey.

2. Good Italian: Si Mangia...this is great for occasions and larger groups.....great food and great staff mean you can't go far wrong....very reasonable and great for veggies

Ganapati South Indian restaurant on Holly Grove in Bellenden Road (Peckham) is fantastic and has an extensive veggie selection.

As is La Luna on Walworth Road. Lovely Italian food at reasonable prices. The restaurant is nothing flash, but the food is really great and staff are lovely.

I've heard good things about Si Mangia but haven't tried it. Not really that impressed by any of the restaurants in East Dulwich, not at the prices they charge for sometimes quite average food.

Went to Si Mangia for the first time a couple of days ago and LOVED it. Good value, good food, (child) friendly service.

Also went to Locale on EAst Dulwich Road for lunch. We didn't eat off the set menu (?10 per head for two courses, plus drinks) so it ended up costing nearly ?50, inc 12.5% service charge! But that did include four exorbitantly priced (but jolly tasty) lattes (?11.80!!!!!!!!!!!)

The waiter was absolutely gorgeous and hilarious, too. You gotta go just to meet him. I think his name is Giggi.

I love Springers, too. Freshly cooked food clearly provided by a food enthusiast. It's lovely to meet the proprietor/chef who is obviously passionate about what he provides and also genuinely concerned that customers are satisfied. The service is good there, too. The staff have always seemed very knowledgeable (I'm not very knowledgeable) about the wines, etc.

Trish/fuzzyboots

Big K Wrote:

> Sue...get a life...and quit your constant use of

> smileys.. Argh!

xxxxxx

I've got a life which I'm enjoying very much thanks, hence my "constant use of smileys".

Sorry I and they irritate you so much you have to spend part of your life commenting on them on a public forum!

I shall continue to use smileys as much as I want, and you of course have the freedom not to use them at all if you wish!

:)):)):)):)):)):)):))

:)-D