After Work Shopping

Yams

Do any of the food shops on LL stay open after 5.30 ?

I only occasioanlly manage to get down to LL on a Saturday and since I'm at work 9 til 5.30 I rarely get to buy much food from the excellent shops we have in ED. I would love it if they all stayed open late just for 1 night a week (or even fornight) so that us workers can get some decent food into our fridges without having to rely on Somerfields or Sainsbury's.

I agree. You don't want to get all your meat and fish at the weekend for the following week. And if you're not even in ED on a Saturday...it means it has to come from Somerfield or Sainsburys or even (hushed tone) Tesco's. One late night shopping day would be very popular. I can see the queues now!

It may be worth asking the traders why they don't open later, there might be reasons/restrictions/circumstances that make it impracticable for them to do so. If they say there's no reason or support then it would be worth considering letting them know.

Perhaps readers of this thread who are in ED during the daytime could pop in and ask some traders and then let us know why they don't stay open a bit later, even if it's just for one day a week. More than willing to promote local traders on the forum who do so.

oh, and in response to Yams original question "Do any of the food shops on LL stay open after 5.30" I tend to pop into the Dulwich 'Supermarket' opposite the Black Cherry. They have fresh fruit and veg out the front and loads more inside, I especially like their tomatoes that smell like tomatoes (rather than smelling of nothing like supermarkets do).

indeed. was thinking through the delivery option and had visions of the William Rose crew squeezing lamb burgers through letter-boxes forming a meaty mattress for a packet of squid from moxons - not really a winner, I can see that.

pigeon post to franklins might work as long as they then served it up on a bed of barley

Personally getting fresh fruit and veg is less of an issue for me as I get a weekly delivery from the excellent Abel and Cole, but it would probably need a reasonable number of shops to all be open late tomake it worthwhile.

Next time anyone is in William Rose, the ED deli or the new fishmongers (still haven't tried it, is it good?) can they ask? I'm away for the weekend, so not sure when I'll next get a chance...

Why not just go to Sainsburys afetr work ? Its open late and you dont further oppress the miniimum waged who have to slave away in boxy little stores for long hours

or have I missed th point entirely ?

Extending working hours is good for minimum wagers. When I have been in that position I welcomed any overtime I could get.

Oppressing them would be to give them less choice about when to work or shop rather than more.

I'd like to see the whole of Lordship Lane open 24-7. Only the other day I set off to visit an aunty and didn't realise until the last minute that I hadn't got her the Crabtree and Evelyn bath salts that I'd promised but as it was 4.30 am the ruddy gift shop was shut!

Keef - these days, your average ham slicer is very well looked after: pension, bonus, shares, company car..

Alan - In principal, you're right. But let's face it, Cheese Block isn't going to stay open another 8 hours in order to shift a handful of extra brie wedges to inebriated passing trade on a Friday night.

*Bob* Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Keef - the ham slicer at the EDD gets the lot:

> pension, bonus, shares, company car..

Well it's nice to hear they look after their lovely staff so well ;-)

Whatever the arguments for or against small or big businesses, I like buying food from the shops on LL and I think that a lot of it is of a higher quality than the supermarkets.

I had a summer job at Sainsbury's about 11-12 years ago before going to uni... At the time, I thought earning ?9 an hour on Sundays was amazing!!! It actually took me a while to get back to earning that rate...... Probably because I lived in Liverpool!!!! :-S

• Administrator

For those following and contributing to this thread I apologise for the accidental deletion of some (about 8) of the posts. The Thread had moved to discussion saying that "shopkeepers were the same group of people who incidentally were instrumental in electing Hitler to Chancellor" thus breaking Godwin's law*.

Godwin's law states that once such an extremist comparison is made, the thread is finished and whoever mentioned the Nazis has automatically "lost" the original debate in progress. As the Administrator I tried to split this thread but buggered it up and apologise. Please, if someone asks "Do any of the food shops on LL stay open after 5.30 ? " try not to make the discussion break Godwin's law and mention the Nazi's.

Now, back to food shops opening late on Lordship lane...

*Thanks to Mockney Piers for originally pointing this out and Keef in this instance

You can always pick up fish from the seacow wet and cook it yourself, plus a few of teh grocers at the top of LL are open till 8:30.

I would still support longer opening hours though....maybe the medical centres should take note too (though I know this will never happen)...I hate trying to justify to my boss once every three weeks why I need to leave early again just to get my prescription renewed!