Do not use the ATM at Tesco's Crystal Palace Road

ianmyoplex

Were the fraud transactions before or after 4pm? it sounds to me like it was before and your card was taken by the atm in case you were the fraudster. If this is the case, the atm is working perfectly fine, your back is pretty good at fraud detection and tesco are not at fault.

Otherwise it sounds as if it might have been a Lebanese loop, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lebanese_loop.

Possible actions? Examine the card slot for the device? Call your bank immediately to cancel card? Hang around, openly or covertly, in the expectation that a perp will be along shortly to collect the card? Call the police immediately to advise them a possible Lebanon loop exploit is in mid-course?

Hope you get it sorted ianmy!

This happened to me going back years ago at Sainsburys, Dog Kennel and nobody in the store could help me. I tried and insisted to get a deputy manager to open up the ATM to get my card back with no avail! He just said it's down to the actual bank.

Mine got swallowed in Holborn Kingsway - no money taken.

Apparently the bank that swallows it cannot do anything - only possible if it's your bank.

I rang my bank and they just said sometimes machines do that ... nice. Said I could take money out using a branch check (they had those in the 80s).

The issue is that devices known as "Lebanese loops" (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lebanese_loop) are stuck on to the machines, so when the machine "retains" your card, these devices hang on to it so once you walk away someone comes along and gets your card out. They have cameras attached to the top of the machine which give them your PIN, they then proceed to withdraw as much as your account will let them. Fortunately for me it was just before pay day so they only got ?40 (HA!!!) which the bank have since refunded.

A week after it happened to me I noticed another device on the same machine so called the police. They turned up and showed me how the camera was hidden under a strip stuck to the top side of the machine.

Very clever and surprisingly simple scam. Bastards.

They have cameras attached to the top of the machine which give them your PIN,

It's always a good idea to shield the keypad (I use my open wallet) when inputting your pin. Doing that (and standing close to the machine itself blocking observation from behind) will (hopefully) offer some protection.

Penguin68 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> They have cameras attached to the top of the

> machine which give them your PIN,

>

> It's always a good idea to shield the keypad (I

> use my open wallet) when inputting your pin. Doing

> that (and standing close to the machine itself

> blocking observation from behind) will (hopefully)

> offer some protection.

Yes - good advice - Do that without even thinking now.

Likewise, I have got into the habit of running my hand along the top edge of the machine/hole in wall before I put my pin in - as Otta says, that's where any camera is most likely to be and you can feel easily if there's something there. The only place I've ever found anything was at the cashpoints at Brockley/Crofton Park, but even that one time makes me very glad that I check.

I think you will find that this ATM was identified as a problem many years ago when this type of crime surfaced. It was mentioned in a local news article and I stopped using it then. Shielding pin input was recommended then and I have done it ever since where ever. Also if a machine is susceptible to fraudulent use as this one is,don't use it again. The store recently moved the machine to a more open/visible location to the right of the building and nearer to the cashiers window. I always thought this was to make it more difficult to scam so the store knows it is a problem.

I never used to bother & thought people only covered pins to stop those behind them in the queue from commuting an offence ... Then I watched a documentary which focused on crime on the underground (it was interesting I swear!)- the team pulled an entire false front off a cash machine located in the concourse of a busy station, revealing a Lebanese loop and a camera. I was completely surprised that something so big could be fitted in an area that would always (when open) be surrounded by people. Since then I've been a lot more wary. You probably wont be able to avoid using a machine with a loop fitted ... But you can prevent the camera catching your pin by covering it entirely.