Pedro Rey

Moos Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Is it legal to employ staff under 12? I think

> that sounds most naughty.

>

> Sorry G&B - couldn't resist. Well done to a great

> business.

I think it's OK to employ them as long as they don't sample the product, so to speak.

Top notch, chaps. Keep it up.

Like Sean says, they responded very well to critisism, so all power to them for that.

Have always said the place isn't really my thing, and I'm not overly keen on sitting in (squashed and hot). BUT, the wines I've bought there have always been very nice, and that is the main thing at the end of the day.

Still poncey though ;-)

Ok... I'm going to get my hard hat on and break the consensus.

I've always enjoyed going to Green and Blue. The guy with the big sideys who (I think) owns it seems like a nice bloke and I sympathised with them when they had to close for ages.

However, my last visit there, last Saturday was a bit lacklustre. I don't know if they lost at lot of their good staff when they closed for all that time, but the waitress who served us gave the distinct impression she couldn't give a toss.

We were in the snug at the back which is not the most visible to the staff and our waitress did not check on us frequently enough. Even worse, we had ordered some food but when we went to order some more, we found they had closed the kitchen without telling us. This left my boyfriend and I ravenous and our two friends lacking the cheese that we had promised them.

Oh yes, and they put too much celery (pahh) in their side salad.

Not sure if G&B read your post before I sat in the same spot last night; but I can't tell you how impressed we were with the attentive service from their lovely waiter. Great wine, food, atmosphere, and excellent service. Now my favourite spot in ED; as Liquorish has lost its edge. (Although G&B please get your chair re-upholstered; not a good look for a business like yours). Skip.

Well done G & B. You deserve a hearty pat on the back after all the troubles you went through earlier this year. I haven't been in for quite a while but when I have I've thoroughly enjoyed every single wine that I've drunk from your fine establishment. I'm sure they'll be plenty more in the future to be getting down my Gregory. Keep up the good work.

elizlondon Wrote:

> Congrats G&B, this is great news. I really love

> going there, though would agree that more

> attentive service would be good, especially if

> it's not too busy and we're sat at the back.

xxxxxx

Yeh think the service lets it down unfortunately - you shouldn't have to ask if there's anyone serving when there are people wiping glasses at the bar and having a chat and you are gasping for a drink :-S

Great wine though and good value, so well done GB (and my OH says very lovely spicy broad beans - he is eating them as I type - though I think that is just a waste of good broad beans as all you can taste is the spice .....)

Sue Wrote:

>

> Great wine though and good value, so well done GB

> (and my OH says very lovely spicy broad beans - he

> is eating them as I type - though I think that is

> just a waste of good broad beans as all you can

> taste is the spice .....)

Oooh the gigantes beans in the tomatoey sauce? Damn they're good!

elizlondon Wrote:

> Sue Wrote:

>

>

> >

> > Great wine though and good value, so well done

> GB

> > (and my OH says very lovely spicy broad beans -

> he

> > is eating them as I type - though I think that

> is

> > just a waste of good broad beans as all you can

> > taste is the spice .....)

>

> Oooh the gigantes beans in the tomatoey sauce?

> Damn they're good!

xxxxxxxx

Thought they were butter beans, am I confused?

These are dried up crunchy spicy broad beans, and don't taste anything like broad beans, so I can't see the point of them, but hey ho, each to their own .....

the feta-stuffed chillies are my favourite, but the last couple of times I've been in I've also experienced very bad service - last time on a Thurs night it was just neglectful - you have to go and find them to order. But there is one particular waitress who is downright hostile - looks like she hasn't smiled since 1988. Which is a shame because there are lots of plus points and I really want to unreservedly love the place.

Thanks to everyone for their supportive and positive comments. We are really excited to have won the decanter award, and to be able to spend some time training Tyson, our South African scholarship winner. It is really nice to be able to put past troubles behind us, and we are very aware that our survival and success is in no small part down to the local support we have been lucky enough to enjoy. Thanks also for your constructive criticisms. I'm sorry that some of you have experienced difficulties with service and I will pass your comments on to our staff. We hope that those who have had a disappointing time might give us another try and see an improvement. Keep posting your thoughts, especially on how we can do better, and in the meantime thanks again to the Forum for your continued support.

• 4 weeks later...

All around a super selection of wine with some very interesting small parcels - the first (and only) place I'd look in East Dulwich, although if Oddbins succeed to pull their socks back up under new management their Dulwich Village shop might come back into my local sights....

However, the authoritarian tone of the G&B summer tasting sheet that listed the expected behaviour of participants, including instructions not to pour too large a glass as it was ?rude and greedy? and that it was a wine tasting and not a chance to chat with friends amongst other instructions, completetly turned me off the idea of attending one?

Possibly because of this, and I am all for the careful use of plastic bags, the sign advising they are no longer provided because of their ?proliferation? somewhat rankles (and I'm the first to admit that this is probably me rather than a valid greviance)

Apologies for the negativity, but on a final positive note I still think that their wines are delicious and I suppose that?s what it?s mostly about.