east dulwich not a plastic bag

Let me talk to some of my China sweatshop contacts - hopefully we'll get them good and cheap!

;-)

Only joking!

I'd be extremely impressed if we could pull that off. Someone could set up a stall outside Sainsbury's before people get in the store!

I did actually send off for a quote from a jute bag company last week for the same idea but never heard back so never posted my findings. I think it's a good idea and I'm sure some local traders would sponsor it to have their logo on it. We could get a local famous person to create a design for it and therefore make it more desirable (but not too precious so that people wouldn't use it).

ps I believe you can already buy re-usable bags from the Deli, SMBS etc

Someone had a post about this somewhere on the forum ... there's a town that has gone plastic bag free following a locals film about plastic bag pollution she'd come across. May be we could get hold of the film and show it to the lovely local traders? Surely this should be an initiative in which they participate, and even drive - lots in it for them. Some of the shops give them away already ...

If they can't find an economical supplier perhaps it could be the first effort of the massed bands of EDWI - knitting pins and jute yard at the ready girls ...

bawdy-nan Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Someone had a post about this somewhere on the

> forum ... there's a town that has gone plastic bag

> free following a locals film about plastic bag

> pollution she'd come across. May be we could get

> hold of the film and show it to the lovely local

> traders? Surely this should be an initiative in

> which they participate, and even drive - lots in

> it for them. Some of the shops give them away

> already ...

>

T'was this Bawdy N:

http://environment.guardian.co.uk/waste/story/0,,2067577,00.html

Lol Bawdy,having read this topic and fully agreeing with all you have said,the traders are going to look at cloth bags as a community project.Most shops encourage the use of recycled bags if the customer has not brought their own.its desperate when you walk into a shop and they give you a bag for 1 item,i know there are shops in LL that do this,and they will be asked not too do this.

The shops that are the worst are those that put cans of lager and plastic bottles of milk, both designed to be carried in the hand, in plastic bags. Likewise, newspapers. V annoying! Nero

i've been trying to come up with a recyclable packaging concept for a corona-style carrying thing for cans that actually fits in the fridge in a useful way. Maybe an 8 pack, 4x2, that folds open to fit as an extra shelf in the fridge? Maybe it's plastic and available seperately, but reusable.

I'm rambling, but the it kind of goes along with what Nero said about cans of lager in plastic bags.

hello....i've been lurking on this site for a while and felt inspired to post at last!

my friend and i are east dulwich mums and will be at the goose green festival selling 'i love se22' re-usable cotton canvas shopping bags. please come and support our effort to make east dulwich greener!

mrs cuckoo Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> hello....i've been lurking on this site for a

> while and felt inspired to post at last!

> my friend and i are east dulwich mums and will be

> at the goose green festival selling 'i love se22'

> re-usable cotton canvas shopping bags. please

> come and support our effort to make east dulwich

> greener!

Fantastic! Well done for taking the initiative. It would be great to get the traders on board with something like this as others have suggested.