Antenatal Classes - NCT vs NHS vs other options

After lots of hassle we have managed to get ourselves on the NCT antenatal classes in Herne Hill on 4th and 11th August. Was really chuffed until I realised it clashes with the London triathlon which I'm dying to compete in this year.

If we can't get a rescheduled one with the NCT I guess that leaves me with the option of the NHS one or one run by someone else (we got some details from the Healthmatters shop about a private one there).

Anyone have any views on which are better etc?

Last option is I change to compete in the Olympic distance in the triathlon which might kill me :)

Good luck, did the Sprint a couple of years ago, great fun! Quite a useful time too, even if I say so myself.

Then I had kids and am now fat.

Which seamlessly leads me into antenatal classes.

We had NHS ones from Kings at Dulwich Hospital and they were absolutley fine. Never did the NCT ones, so can't comment but we made several good "baby" friends from the classes. The midwife and info was fine and I guess the facts are pretty much the same NHS or NCT, ie childbirth will probably be painful and you'll be tired for a while!

Ah, the joy of being on the other side:))

I'll leave it to others to go on about types of delivery, pain relief etc. As a bloke, you're on shakey ground passing comment. Some people are quite anti/pro NCT but I'm not sure why? Personally, it was good to do something pro-active prior to birth but afterwards we were lead by the kids, which was fine.

We, but especially my wife, really benefitted from the whole social thing though. A good support network has been invaluable so I say go to for that. Our class demographic was 95% white, middle class, media types. Read into that what you will.

Even the Dad's have been for occasional beer/curry too so I've benefited too but my 5k time hasn't.

NTC is very productive and a great support for expectant mums and dads.If you can find one get into it and use it because you will find the classes helpful for every step of the pregnancy,be it for mum or dad.

I didnt do any for my first baby - found the NCT too expensive and a little terrifyingly cliquey.

I read loads of books and did a weekly active birth yoga class with Janet Balaskas which taught me everything I needed to know. Second time around I did a yoga class (and made good friends in an NCT stylee).

In hindsight I'd probably recommend NCT if you can bear it - mostly feedback I've had from people is that one of the biggest benefits is the instant baby-circle you've got to hand for the weeks after the birth which is especially useful if you don't have any friends with kids.

As for whats "best" - everyone has an opinion. I was extremely lucky both times. Had them both at home in a pool with no complications and pretty easily. Painful of course but kind of interesting and something of an extreme sport. I know that this isn't the way for everyone but I felt well-prepared and superbly well supported by my splendid consultant from Kings (not sure if he's still there - Mr Marshall) and excellent set of Brierley midwives. Very pleased and glad I was fortunate enough to have that experience, others would disagree and say its better in hospital, or that it would have been better with pain relief etc etc etc.

There's more than one way to skin a cat (er?). But the main thing is the baby will come out one wway or another and thats what bodies do.

Good luck to you both!

i'm hoping you're the dad nutty and weren't planning to compete in a triathalon at 30 weeks pregnant.

i did the NCT class in herne hill / brixton - corner of morval road and dulwich road as i remember.

one thing i found was that the NCT 'leader' was something of a natural birth nazi and frowned on any discussion of bottle feeding or over-medicalisation of birth, which some peoeple liked and some didn't. and she had her 2-3 year old walking into the room to breast feed on occasions, which freaked us all out a bit at the time.

at the time i suspected they did some 'streaming' of the class to get more like-minded people in, or maybe they didn't and it's the fear of birth that makes your own type of crazy seem just like other expectant parent's.

Yes - I am the dad! Herne Hill is where we'll be doing it so I'll look forward to the "natural birth nazi"!

Hva enade the decision to stick with the NCT one and compete in the Olympic distance the next day - at least my first borm will have a very fit dad - sounds like I'll need to be to prepare for lack of sleep etc...

do both if you can. we did and it worked well, the ones at Kings produced some much more useful stuff and were a better introduction. We went to the "nazi"_ she was a bit odd and at the meet up post births made some people feel weird about not being totally natural. Saying that the NCT tries soooo hard to not be the stereotype everyone thinks, but sadlyt that teacher undermines those efforts. The Kings ones are socially engineered I think, and we made some great friends there. Even if you don't like your NCT class, the support afterwards from the "tea group" network is great.

Not that useful to you Nutty now, but have to say that the NCT teacher that is based in East Dulwich is fab, very open minded and explores all options. She also really fostered us as a 'group' and without making us, engineered meeting opportunities afterwards. 2 years on and we still meet up - the boys as well!