We are trialing a dedicated East Dulwich COVID-19 Area on the forum here - please keep it useful.

Forum Sponsors

www.takeflightacademy.co.uk

http://avakitchens.co.uk

All Round Renovation

Advertise here

The East Dulwich Forum
Would you recommend your builder, plumber, electrician or carpenter?
Goto Page: PreviousFirst...7891011121314151617Next
Current Page: 16 of 17
messageRe: M&S on Lordship Lane
Posted by Alan Medic 13 September, 2016 19:02

Do M&S do any veggie meals? The cook has gone away for two weeks and I may run out of food.

messageRe: M&S on Lordship Lane
Posted by kbabes 13 September, 2016 19:51

Alan Medic Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Do M&S do any veggie meals? The cook has gone away
> for two weeks and I may run out of food.


yes.. & have you tried their S&M range? Perfect for when the cook is away

--------------------
Kvy B

messageRe: M&S on Lordship Lane
Posted by Jim1234 13 September, 2016 21:54

M&S syphon off profits to their head office. SMBS, assuredly, don't.

I won't claim it's across the board cheaper, but I remember several things being cheaper in smbs than coop..

More importantly, if you're shopping in M&S you're probably after quality, and the main point there is smbs wins hands down.

messageRe: M&S on Lordship Lane
Posted by Jim1234 13 September, 2016 21:56

All I'm saying is if you haven't tried them, please try local shops over M&S. Imo they are better and often cheaper.

messageRe: M&S on Lordship Lane
Posted by edhistory 13 September, 2016 22:10

Jim1234 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> M&S syphon off profits to their head office. SMBS,
> assuredly, don't.

Profits enhanced by negotiating a different business rates scheme with big boy discount.

messageRe: M&S on Lordship Lane
Posted by LondonMix 14 September, 2016 00:02

SMBS is closed when most people are coming home from work I think. If shop there on the weekend but as with most of the indies as a person in full time work, using them mid week isn't usually possible.


Jim1234 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> All I'm saying is if you haven't tried them,
> please try local shops over M&S. Imo they are
> better and often cheaper.

messageRe: M&S on Lordship Lane
Posted by first mate 14 September, 2016 07:24

If there are plans for a small supermarket of some kind by the station and a large one on Barry Road I would think indipendents selling food will be under a lot of pressure.

messageRe: M&S on Lordship Lane
Posted by Dog duck 14 September, 2016 09:56

jam_log Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> how this thread has provided me with amusement, at
> one stage, I even spat out my M&S bottled water, I
> was laughing so much at the craziness of this
> thread.....


Hear, hear!!

messageRe: M&S on Lordship Lane
Posted by LondonMix 14 September, 2016 12:10

Why? Supermarkets serve different needs to independent grocers. I think who is at threat are the existing supermarkets and convenience stores-- Sainsbury, the CO-OP and Tesco.

first mate Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If there are plans for a small supermarket of some
> kind by the station and a large one on Barry Road
> I would think indipendents selling food will be
> under a lot of pressure.

messageRe: M&S on Lordship Lane
Posted by DulwichFox 14 September, 2016 12:37

SMBS sells things you would be hard pressed to find anywhere else around here..

DulwichFox.

messageRe: M&S on Lordship Lane
Posted by ruffers 14 September, 2016 13:39

Jim1234 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> M&S syphon off profits to their head office.

I don't understand what this means?

messageRe: M&S on Lordship Lane
Posted by DulwichFox 15 September, 2016 19:07

I was in the Co-op this Lunch time..

I could not believe it.. Clean uncluttered aisles.. Shelves stacked to bursting point..
Bread .. Rolls... Cakes and the like.. in abundance..
Pizzas coming out of your ears.. Fruit and veg. fully stocked.. Possibly improved lighting ?? Bright.
Pleasantly cool air con..

No customers though and only one till open just for me ??

Asked till person if the new M&S was making an impact but very non committal on the subject..

Think the suits may of been in. Definately something going on.

DulwichFox

messageRe: M&S on Lordship Lane
Posted by kbabes 15 September, 2016 19:14

DulwichFox Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I was in the Co-op this Lunch time..
>
> I could not believe it.. Clean uncluttered
> aisles.. Shelves stacked to bursting point..
> Bread .. Rolls... Cakes and the like.. in
> abundance..
> Pizzas coming out of your ears.. Fruit and veg.
> fully stocked.. Possibly improved lighting ??
> Bright.
> Pleasantly cool air con..
>
> No customers though and only one till open just
> for me ??
>
> Asked till person if the new M&S was making an
> impact but very non committal on the subject..
>
> Think the suits may of been in. Definately
> something going on.
>
> DulwichFox

Did you mean: Definitely? Or maybe defiantly?

--------------------
Kvy B



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit was 2016:09:15:19:17:40 by kbabes.

messageRe: M&S on Lordship Lane
Posted by Sue 15 September, 2016 19:40

DulwichFox Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I was in the Co-op this Lunch time..
>
> I could not believe it.. Clean uncluttered
> aisles.. Shelves stacked to bursting point..
> Bread .. Rolls... Cakes and the like.. in
> abundance..
> Pizzas coming out of your ears.. Fruit and veg.
> fully stocked.. Possibly improved lighting ??
> Bright.
> Pleasantly cool air con..
>
> No customers though and only one till open just
> for me ??
>
> Asked till person if the new M&S was making an
> impact but very non committal on the subject..
>
> Think the suits may of been in. Definately
> something going on.
>


Isn't this more likely to be because hardly anybody has actually bought anything from the Co-op since M&S opened, but they haven't adjusted their ordering accordingly?

They've probably got nothing else to do but put things on shelves and unclutter the aisles, because they've got no customers to serve.

Not that I'm cynical at all .....



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit was 2016:09:15:19:41:12 by Sue.

messageRe: M&S on Lordship Lane
Posted by cordsm 15 September, 2016 20:51

DF is right. There were lots of energetic, serious-looking people wandering around the Co-op with clipboards a few evenings ago, discussing plans. While they were there, the tills were all manned and the everyday staff were working at lightning-speed. Back to normal now though!

messageRe: M&S on Lordship Lane
Posted by Jules-and-Boo 15 September, 2016 21:46

I was in the Co-op on Sunday and they were playing The Cult - Sanctuary

Pretty awesome and I bought some really nice salad

messageRe: M&S on Lordship Lane
Posted by *Bob* 15 September, 2016 21:57

cordsm Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> DF is right. There were lots of energetic,
> serious-looking people wandering around the Co-op
> with clipboards a few evenings ago, discussing
> plans. While they were there, the tills were all
> manned and the everyday staff were working at
> lightning-speed. Back to normal now though!



[www.youtube.com]



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit was 2016:09:15:21:58:19 by *Bob*.

messageRe: M&S on Lordship Lane
Posted by Jules-and-Boo 15 September, 2016 22:17

good clip *Bob*

messageRe: M&S on Lordship Lane
Posted by Katy Tonbridge 15 September, 2016 23:40

For balance, I was in Co-op at lunchtime and there was a queue for the manned till and all the self-checkouts were busy. bit quieter than last time I was there, but certainly not quite the picture of a ghost town that people are painting.

messageRe: M&S on Lordship Lane
Posted by DulwichFox 16 September, 2016 00:05

In all fairness M&S was also quiet. I think the initial hystria curiosity has calmed down a bit.

It's only a shop.. They are not giving things away..

Are they ??

Foxy

messageRe: M&S on Lordship Lane
Posted by Jennys 16 September, 2016 13:07

At least the Co-op won't need to fear that Waitrose will come to Dulwich - not that they were ever on the cards to come here. Articles in yesterday's Evening Standard say they have scrapped plans for any new stores, even where they had already announced plans to locate new Waitroses.

messageRe: M&S on Lordship Lane
Posted by Louisa 16 September, 2016 14:51

The Co-op was dead this afternoon. Even the big issue guy out the front has moved to M&S. I bought a thick sliced white loaf and some milk, something I'm not usually able to do here because they constantly run out of red top. Still overpriced, but for now at least, a pleasant experience.

Louisa.

messageRe: M&S on Lordship Lane
Posted by *Bob* 16 September, 2016 16:11

Louisa Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I bought a thick sliced white loaf and some milk



This is Louisa, reporting from M&S in East Dulwich. More news as it happens. Back to you in the studio.

messageRe: M&S on Lordship Lane
Posted by Sue 16 September, 2016 18:54

*Bob* Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Louisa Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I bought a thick sliced white loaf and some
> milk
>
>
>
> This is Louisa, reporting from M&S in East
> Dulwich. More news as it happens. Back to you in
> the studio.


I thought she was reporting from the Co-op!

messageRe: M&S on Lordship Lane
Posted by Louisa 16 September, 2016 19:27

Sue you are indeed correct, I have no idea why *Bob* is so obsessed with M&S, he just keeps on talking about it, it's only a supermarket! Get over it!

Louisa.

messageRe: M&S on Lordship Lane
Posted by Alan Medic 16 September, 2016 19:56

Red top and WHITE bread? Is the first compensating for the second?

messageRe: M&S on Lordship Lane
Posted by bil 16 September, 2016 22:09

kbabes Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Louisa Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > LM Morrisons have pulled the plug on small
> local
> > format stores and have reverted back to form
> with
> > across the board price slashing at their
> standard
> > size stores. Seems to be working too, profits
> year
> > on year are up massively for them.
> >
> > This of course begs the question who will want
> to
> > take on the garden centre/station site? I would
> > heard a guess at tesco express, seeing as they
> > could puncture Sainsbury's nearby offering for
> > convenience bits. Waitrose will probably want a
> > large enough site to be able to provide a store
> to
> > cover a wide enough collection of affluent
> > postcodes. A small format little Waitrose
> probably
> > wouldn't be sufficient to do that.
> >
> > Louisa.
>
> I thought Waitrose already delivered to all of
> East & West Dulwich postcodes anyway? See them
> in my street prob 4 or 5 times per day.

Waitrose and ocado (home delivery services) have minimum spends (40 -60 minimum spend) which is fine if you have a large family or do a fortnightly shop but if you want to buy small amounts frequently then those delivery companies aren't helpful.

messageRe: M&S on Lordship Lane
Posted by Dogkennelhillbilly 16 September, 2016 22:42

Jennys Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Articles in
> yesterday's Evening Standard say they have
> scrapped plans for any new stores, even where they
> had already announced plans to locate new
> Waitroses.

Articles in the Evening Standard said Prince Charles was the Londoner of the Decade.

messageRe: M&S on Lordship Lane
Posted by eastdulwichbadboi 17 September, 2016 15:51

hey anyone selling some high quality turtle racers on here?

messageRe: M&S on Lordship Lane
Posted by kbabes 17 September, 2016 16:43

eastdulwichbadboi Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> hey anyone selling some high quality turtle racers
> on here?


I assume they are some kind of hallucinogenic drug?? If so I'm sure you've arrived at the correct thread given some of the posts I've borne witness to on here..

--------------------
Kvy B

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...7891011121314151617Next
Current Page: 16 of 17

Back to top of page
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Donate                   Terms of use                  Help & FAQs                   Advertise               RSS rss feed               Copyright 2006 - 2018 East Dulwich Forum