Voting - Low Turnout in SE22 apparently

Hi ford,

The Remain campaign didn't run a full telling operation so what they said was a script to try and motivate you to get out and vote.

Saying that the overall turnout across Southwark was low at 66% compared to Lambeth next door. Labour Lambeth were wholly campaigning for IN. Southwark Labour we were told by the Remain campaign were split down the middle and relatively by them little was done.

In East Dulwich ward we've delivered circa 45,000 leaflets including GLA election ones which all had Remain stories in them and three round of specific IN leaflets. We've made 2,500 voter contacts in the last 6 weeks about the referendum with remain at 77%.

What didn't help is the Remain campaign telling us they had agreed with Dulwich & West Norwood Labour party we were only wanted in Coldharbour ward!

James Barber Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Hi ford,

> The Remain campaign didn't run a full telling

> operation so what they said was a script to try

> and motivate you to get out and vote.

> Saying that the overall turnout across Southwark

> was low at 66% compared to Lambeth next door.

> Labour Lambeth were wholly campaigning for IN.

> Southwark Labour we were told by the Remain

> campaign were split down the middle and relatively

> by them little was done.

> In East Dulwich ward we've delivered circa 45,000

> leaflets including GLA election ones which all had

> Remain stories in them and three round of specific

> IN leaflets. We've made 2,500 voter contacts in

> the last 6 weeks about the referendum with remain

> at 77%.

> What didn't help is the Remain campaign telling us

> they had agreed with Dulwich & West Norwood Labour

> party we were only wanted in Coldharbour ward!

This was after I told them that we'd all voted in, but your post makes sense!

I ran into a canvasser at 8pm as I was on my way to vote who told me that he was worried about the turnout

it couldn't motivate to vote me more than I was already, but it got me to the polling station that little bit quicker

previously we saw a few leafleters on NxRd market and Lordship Lane, had a few leaflets through our letterbox - on Crystal Palace Road - but no doorstep campaigning.

would it have made a difference? perhaps...

James Barber- this wasn't my experience.

In the weeks prior to the Referendum I was bombarded by emails from the local party and Leadership to pass on the message and/or help in the Remain campaign as well as receiving a lot of pro Remain literature/posters, plus a visit from Jon Hartley. I didn't receive anything from Lib Dems Remain.

There was quite a queue at the polling station too, mid morning, and a woman leaving told me it snaked round the block earlier, with people waiting for it to open from 6.30.

Is this yet another Labour dig? It's becoming very tiresome...

I had plenty of remain stuff through my letter box. Well done stuff as well. I don't need to think that the local party was succesful, and I certainly don't think there is any mileage in mulling it over too much.

Very Sad day for the UK (IMOP).

I'm in the older bracket (60-70) and I seem to be one of the comparatively few older people that voted remain. It's upsetting because it's us older people who took part in, and pushed forward the whole post war, social revolution, that dumped the pre war Tory set up. Sad to day we have let them, and their attitudes and outlook, back in.

We had the benefit of many decades of comparative peace and security, for which the EU was created and was succesful. I look at the burgeoning Right Wing, across Europe, and at home, and feel fearful and saddened for the present generation of kids. If the current divisiveness, fear of difference, reaction and blaming of minorities continues, you'd better get your kids ready for war. 1930's here we come again!

I had lots of In and Out letters and leaflets through the door and many emails too. I am in the 60+ bracket and voted to remain. Many young people blame the older generation for the outcome but it seems that in areas with a high number of young people, the turn out was much lower than areas with older people.

Zebedee Tring Wrote:

> be one of the comparatively few older people that

> voted remain >

>

> I'm in the same age bracket; however virtually

> everyone I know in that age bracket voted to

> remain.

Same here.

Doesn't she have to vote according to her constituents' view? Otherwise what's the point of a constituency MP?

MPs are representatives, not delegates. They are placed by the electorate into Parliament so that they can exercise their best judgement (given any policies contained within the election mandate). If MPs had to follow their constituents' views slavishly we would still have the death penalty and homosexuality would still be illegal. In this case 75% of MPs in Parliament do not 'agree' with the (albeit slim) majority who voted to leave. Do they run with their constituents or with the electorate as a whole? I wouldn't want to be an MP in these circumstances.

The point of having a constituency MP is to have someone in Parliament who can represent all their constituents' needs when it comes to what may best described as 'personal cases'.

All of the things you outlined are self-evident. But we were never asked to vote on capital punishment or the legality of homosexuality. We were asked specifically for our view on the EU, we spoke, we should be listened to. That's the difference. There are too many forces against the implementation of the referendum result, I simply don't see how it'll ever happen anyway. Cameron should never have called the referendum but he did the kindest thing he could have by resigning without seeing through Article 50. It's just that we all now have to endure a few years of turmoil before that inevitability dawns on everyone.

Whatever happens in the whole scenario, I really hope that this Boris Johnson clown never makes it to Prime Minister or any ministerial position as he has only distinguished himself by lying & cheating through all of his life with constant instances of gross disloyalty to his wives, his friends, his party, the electorate. This disgraceful oily Eton character must be stopped in his tracks once & for all or we will all suffer the consequences for many years to come - awful person..!

Southwark Labour were very much in the remain camp. We leafleted and spoke to residents in the run up to, and on Thursday itself. I spent most of Thursday talking to people in my ward (Peckham Rye). I did check turnout at the polling station on Peckham Rye East (Rye Hill TRA Hall). I do think turnout was high there. From responses we got from residents, the 73% remain in Camberwell and Peckham was as expected. Camberwell and Peckham turnout was 62% in the general election. Southwark's turnout figure for the referendum was 66%.

Renata

worldwiser Wrote:

> All of the things you outlined are self-evident.

> But we were never asked to vote on capital

> punishment or the legality of homosexuality. We

> were asked specifically for our view on the EU, we

> spoke, we should be listened to. That's the

> difference. There are too many forces against the

> implementation of the referendum result, I simply

> don't see how it'll ever happen anyway. Cameron

> should never have called the referendum but he did

> the kindest thing he could have by resigning

> without seeing through Article 50. It's just that

> we all now have to endure a few years of turmoil

> before that inevitability dawns on everyone.

We also get the chance to air our opinions in elections; locally, UK Parliament and EU Parliament. There is a very good reason we don't get to vote about hanging. Think about your human rights. Then carry on from there.